The Student Room Group

Pearson vs CGP physics 9-1 revsion guides

I know this is quite a dumb question but I honestly want to know which one is better. Some people say CGP, others say Pearson. Personally, I have only used CGP but only for maths where the content is short to begin with. I used a Pearson revision guide for RSS. Both feel the same tbh so idk which is better. The question is aimed at Physics particularly but also in general too. Is Pearson better for physics? And Chemistry?
Original post by xhyper22
I know this is quite a dumb question but I honestly want to know which one is better. Some people say CGP, others say Pearson. Personally, I have only used CGP but only for maths where the content is short to begin with. I used a Pearson revision guide for RSS. Both feel the same tbh so idk which is better. The question is aimed at Physics particularly but also in general too. Is Pearson better for physics? And Chemistry?

I don't know. That's why I use both at the same time.
Reply 2
Original post by DYoverDX
I don't know. That's why I use both at the same time.

For physics?
Yes. for phsyics
I use many sourcesto help me clinch a better uidneratnding.
Reply 4
It depends what your exam board is. If it's anything other than Edexcel, I'd go CGP. But since Pearson is Edexcel, maybe go Pearson if your exam board is that.
Reply 5
Original post by DYoverDX
Yes. for phsyics
I use many sourcesto help me clinch a better uidneratnding.

Your exam is AQA for physics?
Reply 6
Original post by Starra
It depends what your exam board is. If it's anything other than Edexcel, I'd go CGP. But since Pearson is Edexcel, maybe go Pearson if your exam board is that.

I think Pearson is just a company. The revision guide covers the AQA 9-1 physics course. So does CGP. But which one is better in your experience?
Your exam is AQA for physics?

Edexcel.
But it doesn't matter! I sue tehse old revsioin guides from my school library too. Its all about compiling them notes together to get an ultimate understanding.

I do aqa and i have both the aqa endorsed book and the cgp rrvision guides. Both books contain things that the other doesnt. So i use both plus the specification to make sure i know everythkng the examboard wants.
Reply 9
I think Pearson is just a company. The revision guide covers the AQA 9-1 physics course. So does CGP. But which one is better in your experience?

Nah, I think Edexcel renamed themselves Pearson. See if you can get a copy of the spec for your course (just google Physics [exam board] specification). I use CGP because it's what the school sold me. CGP are very chatty and have terrible puns at the end of each page, so if you like that go ahead. We get a 6 mark question for homework every week, and it's almost always in the revision guide. The language being chatty makes it easier to rephrase paragraphs, since there's a more formal way to say it.
Original post by Starra
Nah, I think Edexcel renamed themselves Pearson.

Edexcel and Pearson still exist, but the parent company has changed their branding from an ALL-CAPS serif typeface to a sentence-case sans-serif typeface with a logo that looks vaguely like an interrobang.
Some say pearson, some say CGP. I just want to know which has more relevant content and which is easier understood. Could I please have a straight answer,
Original post by Heywassup
Some say pearson, some say CGP. I just want to know which has more relevant content and which is easier understood. Could I please have a straight answer,

I'm doing my GCSEs too, using a cgp book for science and pearson for maths. CGP rn for science (i do edexcel) is kinda irritating me, cause my friends recommended cgp but the school recommended pearson but i chose CGP. Now my teachers given me a specification but the CGP guide is waffling about something else so im confused. Bottom line is, go with the one your school recommends you.
I prefer cgp, along with the specification. CGP does go along the specification but sometimes it’s not clearly in order, however it covers all the content in small, condensed note form which makes it easier to read, revise from and make revision resources from because it’s cut into smaller sections. It covers all the relevant content without using lengthy, flowery paragraphs, so personally it makes revising for me quicker and easier.
However along side I do use the specification to make sure I’m on the right track- like a tick list. This is just my option tho and others say different things- it really depends on learning style.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest