The Student Room Group

Gcse 2020

OK, I am really confused. My school goes off the 11+ tests and CATS to determine our grades for GCSE. In year 7&8 i was a level 8 for maths and now we have done the tests again and apparently i am a level 5!!! I am nowhere near a level 5 and the work set is incredibly easy. I went from a high set to a low set but i am still doing the Higher paper. I don't know what to do as i cant talk to my teacher about it because i may seem rude. I really want to become an otorhinolaryngologist but i don't know if my teachers believe in me enough. Also, does anybody know to grades needed to become an otorhinolaryngologist? Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hi, you should talk to your teachers about it if you feel the work is too easy for you, as this could be holding you back or slowing you down.

As for grades needed, I'm sure you know otorhinolaryngology is a specialty within medicine and surgery, so you'll need a good range of GCSEs, A levels, and some accompanying aptitude/admission test scores too to put you in the best light. Not sure what year you're in now, but taking separate/triple sciences may be advantageous for when you study sciences at A level. Also, it's worth thinking about volunteering and work experience if you haven't already.
Reply 2
Original post by jsg9
Hi, you should talk to your teachers about it if you feel the work is too easy for you, as this could be holding you back or slowing you down.

As for grades needed, I'm sure you know otorhinolaryngology is a specialty within medicine and surgery, so you'll need a good range of GCSEs, A levels, and some accompanying aptitude/admission test scores too to put you in the best light. Not sure what year you're in now, but taking separate/triple sciences may be advantageous for when you study sciences at A level. Also, it's worth thinking about volunteering and work experience if you haven't already.

Thanks, and yeah i need to ask my teacher why she has dragged me down so much and i have to prove myself however i usually get over 90% in all my tests and the class average is about 35%! I know how high the standards are in otorhinolaryngology are but I don't really know what to do about work experience, I am currently doing DofE Silver now and need more suggestions tbh... I am doing triple sciences and it is quite easy for me so i guess A level science is not that different.
Original post by Taz554:-)
OK, I am really confused. My school goes off the 11+ tests and CATS to determine our grades for GCSE. In year 7&8 i was a level 8 for maths and now we have done the tests again and apparently i am a level 5!!! I am nowhere near a level 5 and the work set is incredibly easy. I went from a high set to a low set but i am still doing the Higher paper. I don't know what to do as i cant talk to my teacher about it because i may seem rude. I really want to become an otorhinolaryngologist but i don't know if my teachers believe in me enough. Also, does anybody know to grades needed to become an otorhinolaryngologist? Thanks in advance!

What teachers say about predictions literally does not matter!

you're in year 9, and that's all I really need to say. it's far too early to judge your capabilities, or worry about final grades at this point. That's not dismissive, it's just that a lot can change in those ~2 and a half years.
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
you're in year 9, and that's all I really need to say. it's far too early to judge your capabilities, or worry about final grades at this point. That's not dismissive, it's just that a lot can change in those ~2 and a half years.

I know a lot can happen in a few years but it is so close to GCSE time and i cant just wait and see...
I know a lot can happen in a few years but it is so close to GCSE time and i cant just wait and see...

Choosing GCSEs? Sure. Actually sitting them? Certainly not.
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
Choosing GCSEs? Sure. Actually sitting them? Certainly not.

True gotta take your word for it but teachers put so much pressure on you. In my school, Y9 &Y10 are your only years to fit in new information. Year 11 is test time and apparently we have no time whatsoever and we wont be getting any new grades any time soon
True gotta take your word for it but teachers put so much pressure on you. In my school, Y9 &Y10 are your only years to fit in new information. Year 11 is test time and apparently we have no time whatsoever and we wont be getting any new grades any time soon

This is what I dislike about teachers scaremongering... I started GCSEs in year 10 on a handful of Bs and Cs and a D (I was among the lowest in my school compared to my targets, granted they mean nothing) and ended up pretty well. I doubt that's the case. Even if you haven't learnt the whole course by year 10, you'll still have plenty of time until the exams that matter.
Thanks, and yeah i need to ask my teacher why she has dragged me down so much and i have to prove myself however i usually get over 90% in all my tests and the class average is about 35%! I know how high the standards are in otorhinolaryngology are but I don't really know what to do about work experience, I am currently doing DofE Silver now and need more suggestions tbh... I am doing triple sciences and it is quite easy for me so i guess A level science is not that different.

Bruh. Do not judge so early. I did triple science and got 3A=> coursework screwed me over. I do A-Level Bio, Chem, Maths and Philosophy & Ethics. Bio and Chem are different, let's say to GCSEs.
Also, pretty much all you learn in Chemistry is *******s, in that it is really dumbed down.
Ok, that was a rant. It's nice to see you be so determined so early. I really wasn't. I had BBD in yr 9 mocks, BBC in yr 10, and ACD in yr 11 mocks, so good luck. And A-Levels are by far way more interesting.
Reply 10
Original post by TCFactor
Bruh. Do not judge so early. I did triple science and got 3A=> coursework screwed me over. I do A-Level Bio, Chem, Maths and Philosophy & Ethics. Bio and Chem are different, let's say to GCSEs.
Also, pretty much all you learn in Chemistry is *******s, in that it is really dumbed down.
Ok, that was a rant. It's nice to see you be so determined so early. I really wasn't. I had BBD in yr 9 mocks, BBC in yr 10, and ACD in yr 11 mocks, so good luck. And A-Levels are by far way more interesting.

What do you mean by interesting ? And thanks, i literally have my whole life planned out before me but i don't know if that is a good thing or not because the teachers are always quick to criticize me and drag me down. I have looked at a few A Level Bio papers and they seem quite complex and different to the current Bio curriculum in Separate sciences so idk if i should be scared or looking forward to it. :s-smilie:
Damn. Imagine having to type out and say 'otorhinolaryngologist' every time! Props to this guy.
Reply 12
Original post by PoetryBlues
Damn. Imagine having to type out and say 'otorhinolaryngologist' every time! Props to this guy.

Are you sure you didn't used to be a level 8 in the old KS levels and are now a grade 5 in the 9-1 GCSE grades?
Reply 14
Original post by Compost
Are you sure you didn't used to be a level 8 in the old KS levels and are now a grade 5 in the 9-1 GCSE grades?

I am sure i was a GCSE grade 8 in the new 9-1 grading system. Because we only get our GCSE targets to not confuse things because people won't understand the old KS levels that people did at SATS in Y6
What do you mean by interesting ? And thanks, i literally have my whole life planned out before me but i don't know if that is a good thing or not because the teachers are always quick to criticize me and drag me down. I have looked at a few A Level Bio papers and they seem quite complex and different to the current Bio curriculum in Separate sciences so idk if i should be scared or looking forward to it. :s-smilie:

you're in year 9, A-level papers are going to look prohibitively complicated.
I am sure i was a GCSE grade 8 in the new 9-1 grading system. Because we only get our GCSE targets to not confuse things because people won't understand the old KS levels that people did at SATS in Y6

I'm sure it's standard practice to use NC levels until year 9/10 (as GCSE content isn't studied until then) but I could be wrong. Not worth fussing over though.
Reply 17
Original post by _gcx
I'm sure it's standard practice to use NC levels until year 9/10 (as GCSE content isn't studied until then) but I could be wrong. Not worth fussing over though.

I didn't know that. Thanks :smile:

I'm 5 months late, but don't worry, our school does them off year 6 sats, which is even worse and 3 years old. I did the same thing in science - high to low set because of my end of year results. I complained and the teachers did't move me, so you've just got to make the best of it. I'm still getting above average for the top set even though I'm not in it - so just try as hard as you can and if you do well enough they might reconsider and move you.

Quick Reply

Latest