The Student Room Group

C in GCSE English - need a B... HELP!

3 of my 5 uni choices ask for a B in English language and I was wondering how lenient universities can be with the GCSE requirements?

I'm applying for biological sciences/bioveterinary science at RVC, Lincoln and Chester (also Surrey but they only want a C) and my predicted grades, other GCSE grades, etc are fine
Same thing with me. WE NEED ANSWERS.
Reply 2
Original post by beloli99
3 of my 5 uni choices ask for a B in English language and I was wondering how lenient universities can be with the GCSE requirements?

I'm applying for biological sciences/bioveterinary science at RVC, Lincoln and Chester (also Surrey but they only want a C) and my predicted grades, other GCSE grades, etc are fine

Contact all of those universities because they might have different policies regarding this. Some may let you off, others might not.
Reply 3
They say it depends on the competition this year... I need to know if it’ll be a definite no because otherwise that’s 3 choices wasted!
Reply 4
Original post by Black Water
Contact all of those universities because they might have different policies regarding this. Some may let you off, others might not.

Thanks, I’ve contacted them but they all basically say “it depends on competition”. Guess I’ll just have to hope that I won’t be rejected solely because of this
Reply 5
They say it depends on the competition this year... I need to know if it’ll be a definite no because otherwise that’s 3 choices wasted!

I get what you mean. I'm guessing you won't be at a disadvantage too much but you'll have to make your other aspects of your application even stronger for a better chance. Have you tried asking them directly if you'll be rejected on the basis for not meeting this grade?
Reply 6
I get what you mean. I'm guessing you won't be at a disadvantage too much but you'll have to make your other aspects of your application even stronger for a better chance. Have you tried asking them directly if you'll be rejected on the basis for not meeting this grade?

Yep... RVC said “Whether or not your application will be accepted with a C in English Language is difficult to say because it will be down to the competitiveness of the rest of applications this year”.

I was planning on resitting but because of these reforms I’ll have to learn new books, redo coursework, etc. I could take a gap year and resit but because this degree is for graduate veterinary medicine it’ll add another year onto an already planned 7 years of studying....
Reply 7
Yep... RVC said “Whether or not your application will be accepted with a C in English Language is difficult to say because it will be down to the competitiveness of the rest of applications this year”.

I was planning on resitting but because of these reforms I’ll have to learn new books, redo coursework, etc. I could take a gap year and resit but because this degree is for graduate veterinary medicine it’ll add another year onto an already planned 7 years of studying....

In my opinion, your A-Level target grades could maybe change this. Say if they want AAA and you're predicted A*A*A or above then your C wouldn't matter too much because of the A-Level target grade difference.
Reply 8
In my opinion, your A-Level target grades could maybe change this. Say if they want AAA and you're predicted A*A*A or above then your C wouldn't matter too much because of the A-Level target grade difference.

Thank you so much, you’ve been so helpful
Reply 9
Thank you so much, you’ve been so helpful

No problem. I hope you get the offers that you want. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest