The Student Room Group

Urgently need help :(

So I'm being forced to stay in my sixth form and i wanted to go to another sixth form and do health and social care but parents refused because they love my teachers. And my sixth form doesn't do health and social care so I picked 3 subjects. Sociology, psychology and business. I want to do adult nursing at uni so business is really just pointless. And all the other subjects like English or maths I don't want to do but I'd still want to keep soc and psychology. Just not business and I know you need another subject to get into uni. I'm in my first year. I want to do a btec level 3 diploma but online and I can't find any that is edexcel. What can I do? I want to do nursin at city university London.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry you're being forced to stay when you don't want to, is there absolutely no way you can move? It doesn't seem very fair that you can't study what you want to because your parents say so :frown: If it's a definite no, are there no other subjects at all that take your fancy? Does biology not appeal to you? It would go really well with your other subjects and could be useful for nursing! It wouldn't necessarily matter you doing business as it's still a useful subject as a whole, but are you not finding yourself enjoying it?
Original post by MichaelaJsxkson
So I'm being forced to stay in my sixth form and i wanted to go to another sixth form and do health and social care but parents refused because they love my teachers. And my sixth form doesn't do health and social care so I picked 3 subjects. Sociology, psychology and business. I want to do adult nursing at uni so business is really just pointless. And all the other subjects like English or maths I don't want to do but I'd still want to keep soc and psychology. Just not business and I know you need another subject to get into uni. I'm in my first year. I want to do a btec level 3 diploma but online and I can't find any that is edexcel. What can I do? I want to do nursin at city university London.

Your starting point should be the entrance requirements of City and you should check those of other likely uni you will apply to.

You will see they have no specific subjects required and its all about grades. You can contact them to confirm this. As long as you have whats needed to meet their requirements, then it becomes mostly about meeting the grade.
https://www.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/adult-nursing
https://www.city.ac.uk/health/selection-day/bsc-adult-nursing

As for subject choice and you will see from the entrance requirements you research, they sometimes as for one science, they may have a few preferred subjects, but it varies. If all it requires for City is BBC, then thats all they want in ANY subject. Confirm this is the case with City.

Business will do fine, but you should do something available and which you enjoy.

If you have really good teachers, then dont give that up easily.
Find out what you need then go and talk to your careers teachers and work with them to decide on the correct subjects.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-become-a-nurse

I found an Open college BTEC course, but as you say its not Pearson and I can only see Pearson BTEC are the ones accepted by UCAS.

Advice.

Check with the 5-10 unis you will apply to what they require.
If your three A levels meet it, then dont worry about subjects focus on grades.
Its a bit late to be moving now as courses have stopped, but check with your local schools and college. Transfer might not be possible.
I would just get on with it and focus on grades. Do the easiest A level you can for the third if theres not a directly useful one available.
Also talk to national careers about online level 3 btecs. I couldnt find it but it might be out there. You will ofc need to pay for it which could be £500+

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home
Original post by Changing Skies
Sorry you're being forced to stay when you don't want to, is there absolutely no way you can move? It doesn't seem very fair that you can't study what you want to because your parents say so :frown: If it's a definite no, are there no other subjects at all that take your fancy? Does biology not appeal to you? It would go really well with your other subjects and could be useful for nursing! It wouldn't necessarily matter you doing business as it's still a useful subject as a whole, but are you not finding yourself enjoying it?

I'm not planning to move. I have to stay here. I just don't feel no motivation to revise for a subject that I don't even enjoy. I know business is okay. Thanks :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Your starting point should be the entrance requirements of City and you should check those of other likely uni you will apply to.

You will see they have no specific subjects required and its all about grades. You can contact them to confirm this. As long as you have whats needed to meet their requirements, then it becomes mostly about meeting the grade.
https://www.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/adult-nursing
https://www.city.ac.uk/health/selection-day/bsc-adult-nursing

As for subject choice and you will see from the entrance requirements you research, they sometimes as for one science, they may have a few preferred subjects, but it varies. If all it requires for City is BBC, then thats all they want in ANY subject. Confirm this is the case with City.

Business will do fine, but you should do something available and which you enjoy.

If you have really good teachers, then dont give that up easily.
Find out what you need then go and talk to your careers teachers and work with them to decide on the correct subjects.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-become-a-nurse

I found an Open college BTEC course, but as you say its not Pearson and I can only see Pearson BTEC are the ones accepted by UCAS.

Advice.

Check with the 5-10 unis you will apply to what they require.
If your three A levels meet it, then dont worry about subjects focus on grades.
Its a bit late to be moving now as courses have stopped, but check with your local schools and college. Transfer might not be possible.
I would just get on with it and focus on grades. Do the easiest A level you can for the third if theres not a directly useful one available.
Also talk to national careers about online level 3 btecs. I couldnt find it but it might be out there. You will ofc need to pay for it which could be £500+

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Then I have to stay with business! Just pray that I pass. Thanks so much!
Then I have to stay with business! Just pray that I pass. Thanks so much!

Considering you can do any A level, then dont do one you will struggle on or hate.
the more you enjoy then the more chance you have of doing well.

Removed as its no a full qualification. Edit.
(edited 6 years ago)
Considering you can do any A level, then dont do one you will struggle on or hate.
the more you enjoy then the more chance you have of doing well.

Another option I didnt mention is teaching yourself an A level as private candidate.

There was only the ABC online distance learning course I could find. You wuld have to check its worth UCAS points.

http://www.cloudlearn.co.uk/productinfo?product=L3-Health-and-Social-Care-Course&ProductID=167#pDataTabs7

How much ucas points would be the entry requirement For it?
How much ucas points would be the entry requirement For it?

Actually forget that link ive just seen something which means its not a full qualification. Contact your local college and see if they have anything you could fit in.
Actually forget that link ive just seen something which means its not a full qualification. Contact your local college and see if they have anything you could fit in.

Oh okay
I have to stay here. And it's also the nearest sixth form. Are there any other btec courses that don't even have to be health and social care I can do online? Pearson ones. I know this will sound really dumb and it is but would it be possible to apply to a level 3 diploma at a different college whilst still staying in mine and doing the other 2 a levels and do the coursework at home? Like I don't have to go in. They can just mark and give me a grade.
Oh okay
I have to stay here. And it's also the nearest sixth form. Are there any other btec courses that don't even have to be health and social care I can do online? Pearson ones. I know this will sound really dumb and it is but would it be possible to apply to a level 3 diploma at a different college whilst still staying in mine and doing the other 2 a levels and do the coursework at home? Like I don't have to go in. They can just mark and give me a grade.

You are going to have to speak to a careers adviser or do some searching for courses. BTECS are problematic because they require so much continuous assessment. Ask your local college.

You are also going to have to ask your school but as it affects funding then I doubt they will agree. A college might let you if you agree to pay. That could cost a lot.

See what else is available if you hate business. You just need the grade.

A levels are more suited to distance learning as they involve exams.
You are going to have to speak to a careers adviser or do some searching for courses. BTECS are problematic because they require so much continuous assessment. Ask your local college.

You are also going to have to ask your school but as it affects funding then I doubt they will agree. A college might let you if you agree to pay. That could cost a lot.

See what else is available if you hate business. You just need the grade.

A levels are more suited to distance learning as they involve exams.

I mean okay. It can't be that hard to get a C in business! I definitely can't pay hundreds lol.
I mean okay. It can't be that hard to get a C in business! I definitely can't pay hundreds lol.

I dont know what your options are. religious studies is quite popular. Just get stuck in and get the grade.Dont fight it.
I dont know what your options are. religious studies is quite popular. Just get stuck in and get the grade.Dont fight it.

i didn't reach the entry requirement for rs and it must be full so that's not an option. It's just that a levels are said to be very difficult and doing a subject that's hard and I don't enjoy will be quite difficult. It's cool tho.
i didn't reach the entry requirement for rs and it must be full so that's not an option. It's just that a levels are said to be very difficult and doing a subject that's hard and I don't enjoy will be quite difficult. It's cool tho.

I cant work on partial information. If your only option is business, then just work hard and get a C. Its a means to an end.
I cant work on partial information. If your only option is business, then just work hard and get a C. Its a means to an end.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest