The Student Room Group

Battling depression for good

What's good people.

How is everyone today?

I've recently been going through a rough phase in life - DEPRESSION! Ever since I was made redundant two months ago, things haven't been easy for me. I am 24, single, unemployed and living at home with my parents. Hardly have any friends and I've been becoming less motivated and happy in life everyday.

HOWEVER, I HAVE DECIDED TO KILL MY DEPRESSION INTO PIECES. WANT THIS ILLNESS OUT OF MY ****ING LIFE!

I don't want to go to a counseller because I've tried it before and it didn't work. DEPRESSION HAS RUINED MY LIFE IN SOME WAYS. I used to love football to bits like watch it 24/7 no matter what. Now, I hate football. I lost a lot of interest in things in life.

Anyways, I wanted to create this thread to literally beat my depression and hear the stories of others
Cool thread. Worthwhile discussion.

Depression can be circumstantial and or a lifelong battle. It never effs off for some people.

A combination of anything and everything to get you through or at least cope better with the day to day. Antidepressants, counselling, cbt, meditation, leave a crap job, leave a crap relationship, supportive people in your life.
Reply 2
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Cool thread. Worthwhile discussion.

Depression can be circumstantial and or a lifelong battle. It never effs off for some people.

A combination of anything and everything to get you through or at least cope better with the day to day. Antidepressants, counselling, cbt, meditation, leave a crap job, leave a crap relationship, supportive people in your life.

Good to hear from people like you on here!

Not sure about counselling but I have decided on starting to NOT GIVE A ****ING **** ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF ME ANYMORE! Also decided to ignore people who are negative or say **** to me. No longer give a **** if one of my boys from the past is always snapping with his girl - good on him.

Unemployed I am. But I am now ready to really go out there and battle
Original post by wa5ted
Good to hear from people like you on here!

Not sure about counselling but I have decided on starting to NOT GIVE A ****ING **** ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF ME ANYMORE! Also decided to ignore people who oare negative or say **** to me. No longer give a **** if one of my boys from the past is always snapping with his girl - good on him.

Unemployed I am. But I am now ready to really go out there and battle

You seem to have really taken control and are in position to handle depression. Congrats! Just remember recovery is not linear.

There were days when I hated depression and wanted to feel better and get rid off it. I’d practice my CBT, exercise, have a routine, be honest with family and friends. Things would look good. Then it would dip and I’d be curled up in bed crying with bloody thighs (tmi I know). So it’s important to remember that you have to be kind to yourself and realise that getting better, if it is possible, is not one smooth line and is not easy.

Also, as the above poster mentioned, depression can persist over a lifetime. But I admire your attempt to start a confident and honest thread to assist you in getting back what you want. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest