The Student Room Group

Outrage as Harriet Harman makes Anti-Semitic joke on air

Prominent Labour MP Harriet Harman made the joke while on a right-wing BBC show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41863815

The joke was:

NSFW, trigger warnings, etc.

I just don't think this kind of "joke" israeli funny.

This kind of behaviour is absolutely unacceptable, anne frankly I am appalled that Labour, of all the political parties, is now effectively condoning the holocaust.

To make matters worse, she responded to criticism online by tweeting a page from her book which contains both the offending Holocaust quip and another about cooking a Pakistani person alive.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/03/harriet-harman-criticised-recounting-antisemitic-joke-bbc-show/
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Harvard applicants get rejected for saying these things in a private chat, but our politicians are allowed to broadcast them on air without punishment?

Something is very wrong.
Reply 2
Terrible lapse of judgement on her part. And then she claimed that Andrew Neil endorses that sort of joke, too. Baffling. I want some of what she's on.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Prominent Labour MP Harriet Harman made the joke while on a right-wing BBC show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41863815

The joke was:

NSFW, trigger warnings, etc.

I just don't think this kind of "joke" israeli funny.

This kind of behaviour is absolutely unacceptable, anne frankly I am appalled that Labour, of all the political parties, is now effectively condoning the holocaust.

To make matters worse, she responded to criticism online by tweeting a page from her book which contains both the offending Holocaust quip and another about cooking a Pakistani person alive.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/03/harriet-harman-criticised-recounting-antisemitic-joke-bbc-show/

She didnt make the joke as if it was funny. She read it out as an example of something she had referred to the DPP for prosecution.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Harvard applicants get rejected for saying these things in a private chat, but our politicians are allowed to broadcast them on air without punishment?

Something is very wrong.

Except the difference was the Harvard students had ownership and were telling the jokes because they believe it was funny..
It's still a terrible thing to say, even as an example.
(edited 6 years ago)
[video="youtube;nAEpJX0Bwt0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAEpJX0Bwt0[/video]

If you're gonna be a **** at least be an original ****.
Disgusting. I think the least we can expect from our politicians is that they would be able to deliver a punchline better than that.

Seriously, the modern left has lost it. Turning on one of its own for giving an example of something in the course of condemning it. Reminds me of that Life of Brian scene with everyone saying 'Jehovah'.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
So jokes are only offensive if the person telling them thinks they are funny...?

She broadcast an extremely offensive joke on national television. Those students posted theirs in a small private chat online.

Except she didnt repeat it as an intention to offend or because she thought it was funny. It was a factual example. Context is important, but that seems to be something you have difficulty understanding. Same as when you review evidence in court.

The students were engaging in racist and homophobic behaviour. They thought it was funny. and that was their intention.

She was probably unwise to repeat it, but then how are you meant to discuss sensitive subjects?
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Except she didnt repeat it as an intention to offend or because she thought it was funny. It was a factual example. Context is important, but that seems to be something you have difficulty understanding. Same as when you review evidence in court.

The students were engaging in racist and homophobic behaviour. They thought it was funny. and that was their intention.

She was probably unwise to repeat it, but then how are you meant to discuss sensitive subjects?

That's a fair point, but do we not all think it would probably have been enough for her just to say she had been privy to some terrible anti-semitic remarks without detailing what they were?
I just don't understand why she would even come out with something like that, no matter what the context. Especially after recent accusations of anti-semitism from within the Labour party.

Very strange.
Original post by gjd800
That's a fair point, but do we not all think it would probably have been enough for her just to say she had been privy to some terrible anti-semitic remarks without detailing what they were?

I think she was unwise to repeat it, but tbh if you were discussing a subject then sometimes you have to talk or mention what they are, be it rape, murder paedophilia.

Im liking all the mock outrage though, especially anti semitic. TSR has almost daily anti Semitic threads a lot worse than the joke in question, but I dont see the likes of the OP objecting.

She should have warned them and then sought consent if she wanted to cover herself.

She was out of order in reference to Neil.

Only a person like the OP would fail to comprehend the differences and say she was the same as the racist homophobic student, but thats the OP for you, whichever account they are using.
You seem to be ignoring the different contexts.

The students said this only to each other, privately, amongst a group that was clearly accustomed to offensive memes. Nobody was offended.

In contrast, Harriet Harman blurted it out on national television for all to hear.

You are unable to understand the different contexts. If it was up to you, then you could never discuss a sensitive subject.

You are unable to differentiate someone referring to something as a factual example and someone participating in being racist and homophobic with their approval.
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
I think she was unwise to repeat it, but tbh if you were discussing a subject then sometimes you have to talk or mention what they are, be it rape, murder paedophilia.

Im liking all the mock outrage though, especially anti semitic. TSR has almost daily anti Semitic threads a lot worse than the joke in question, but I dont see the likes of the OP objecting.

She should have warned them and then sought consent if she wanted to cover herself.

She was out of order in reference to Neil.

Only a person like the OP would fail to comprehend the differences and say she was the same as the racist homophobic student, but thats the OP for you, whichever account they are using.

I tend to agree on all of that (I don't know who the OP is or isn;t in terms of other accounts, so maybe I shall abstain on that). When I saw it I wasn't outraged or anything but I did sit there and think she was a bit daft for reeling it off on live TV.
did you really just call This Week a right wing show

wow
Original post by gjd800
I tend to agree on all of that (I don't know who the OP is or isn;t in terms of other accounts, so maybe I shall abstain on that). When I saw it I wasn't outraged or anything but I did sit there and think she was a bit daft for reeling it off on live TV.

Quite.

People with more than one account on the same thread are very sad.
Nobody jas actually suggested (although the OP tries) that they believe she approved in the merits of the statement, when in fact she reported it for prosecution. Surprised how many people were triggered by this non event.

She should have apologised to Neil.
Reply 16
Yes, I was surprised he didn't go off on one. Shouted her down a bit but pretty mild all considered.
You seem to be ignoring the different contexts.

The students said this only to each other, privately, amongst a group that was clearly accustomed to offensive memes. Nobody was offended. It was comparable to them playing Cards Against Humanity.

In contrast, Harriet Harman blurted it out on national television for all to hear.

That context determines its newsworthiness, but not its offensiveness. It should be obvious that sincerely making a racist joke expecting it to be found funny is more offensive than merely repeating one to use as an example of what is unacceptable.
Holocaust jokes aren't funny

It's only that way because they came up with hate speech, denial laws and political correctness to stop you questioning
As somebody who was watching the show i think it's worth saying that she was giving an example of a joke she considered to be in bad taste in modern times. It was still incredibly stupid to repeat the joke on air (it's a fairly casual late night political show though, so no doubt she was more relaxed than normal) but it's not quite as people are making out (and i generally dislike her due to her militancy on social issues). Also worth saying that Neil immediately told her to be quiet and moved on to somebody else.

On the other hand, this is what social justice warriors would call a micro aggression against Jews.. that's if they were not so supportive of tearing apart the Israeli state.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending