The Student Room Group

Anxious about starting Uni

I don't consider myself to be an anxious person usually. I'm very adventurous and used to going off on weeklong camps in air cadets, being away from home often and being self sufficient. And I understand that I am still doing my A Levels which I'm focusing greatly on.

In a way, I'm very excited to hopefully start University at the end of the year, and the Uni I've picked is far from where I live as I love travelling to new places. But also, as I've now had all of my offers, picked my firm choice and am looking into accommodation, I'm starting to feel very nervous at the thought of my time in school coming to an end and starting this new chapter of my life as I'll be leaving something I'm used to. Has anybody got some good advice on how I can settle these nerves?
Original post by EmDavers33
I don't consider myself to be an anxious person usually. I'm very adventurous and used to going off on weeklong camps in air cadets, being away from home often and being self sufficient. And I understand that I am still doing my A Levels which I'm focusing greatly on.

In a way, I'm very excited to hopefully start University at the end of the year, and the Uni I've picked is far from where I live as I love travelling to new places. But also, as I've now had all of my offers, picked my firm choice and am looking into accommodation, I'm starting to feel very nervous at the thought of my time in school coming to an end and starting this new chapter of my life as I'll be leaving something I'm used to. Has anybody got some good advice on how I can settle these nerves?

Hi @EmDavers33

It is so normal to feel a little apprehensive about moving away to university, especially since you are further away. I would maybe try and reflect on what it is thats making you nervous about university and address that specifically : ) For example, is it that you are nervous about the social aspect? I would recommend doing some research on the university you are attending including accommodation so you know what to expect when you get there and (hopefully) will feel immediately comfortable and at home there. I would also recommend looking to join Facebook groups if you can as it may be that you are able to find your flatmates on these and this will mean that you at least go in knowing some of your flatmates names and maybe a few things about them.

In terms of when you are actually preparing to leave (which I know is a while away for you) I would recommend bringing comfort items with you to make you feel less nervous and at home at uni. I would ensure that you are making time for things you enjoy, for example I know you said you are adventurous so maybe there are hikes you could go on near your university?

Starting a new chapter is always going to be challenging but ensuring that you are mentally prepared I think is the main thing for university. I would recommend doing this by doing your best to reflect on the year to come and trying to think positively about things you are looking forward to and what you want to get out of university. I think doing more research on the university including its Student Life team, all the activities and things you can get involved with can be really beneficial. Hopefully you will be able to envision your life at university and this should ease your nerves : )

Please don't worry, moving away for university can be nerve-wracking but it is such an amazing opportunity to grow as a person. As you say you are already independent so I am sure that being at uni will be such an amazing experience for you.

Good luck!
Katie - Third year Psychology student

Hey there @EmDavers33 !

My best advice to you is to switch your mindset about the future and think about where you might be in two, even one, years time. I'm in my third year of uni and I have not thought about sixth form at all which was a shock to me because I enjoyed it so much. University is literally one of the best experiences of your life, it's essentially sixth form except you live with your friends and there's so much more independence that comes with it. Sure there are difficult parts about it too but that's all part of the experience and it's setting you up for the rest of your life.

You're coming into a whole new environment so my advice to you is to bring your home comforts into the new space. I usually do this through cooking home meals or bringing photos from home which helped me settle in initially and adapt to my new space. I think it's more so the fear of the unknown that unsettles people about coming to university because it is a whole new ball park for you to explore and sometimes not having things so set-in-stone can worry people. Your feelings are completely valid and there will be loads of people feeling exactly like you. Have you tried reaching out to some freshers on Facebook groups? Sometimes speaking to people in the same position as you can help calm your nerves and get you ready for what's to come. It can also help with validating your feelings as I know they'll be feeling the same anxieties too.

Hope this helped, you've got this!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

heyyyy i am also going to start uni this year - its normal to be feeling anxious :smile:

It's a scary thing, I'll grant you that! I remember very well my last day of school - I left with my friends and the prevalent mood in the group was more or less "So... what now?". We'd gone our whole lifetime having to go every single Monday to Friday (except for holidays, sickness and several assorted lockdowns) to school, to learn, and all that just abruptly finished one fine May afternoon shortly after midday when the whole cohort was unceremoniously booted out from school after a cringey but heart-warming (mostly cringey though) live rendition of Oasis' Don't Look Back in Anger.

That day was one of the most emotionally-charged days I've experienced. And I'm sure I had it easier compared to my friends, who had gone to the same school for a solid 7 years of their lives while I had already switched schools (and countries) plenty of times before.

So, we were booted out of school. Now what? My friends and I had previously made some ill-defined plan to go to a pub to... celebrate? Commemorate? Forget about the impending A level exams and our going in separate ways, in alcohol? Do one last outrageous and crazy thing together? A mixture of it all, it turned out. We rang up another friend who had been in the year above us, to complete the classic friendship group line-up. We first went to the house of one of our girlfriends in some village far away from our school to raid the fridge. We then decided to aimlessly walk around the Chiltern Hills, laughing and joking, until we found a road and we followed it until we stumbled upon a pub, which despite being in the absolute middle of nowhere it had reasonably priced beer. And there we sat down and we drank, joked, laughed, cried, and shared our favourite moments from school, our friendship, our plans for the summer and beyond...

Once the sun started to be low, we walked around the hills until we got to the nearest town and we all started to go our separate ways. Me and two of my friends went down by car to old High Wycombe town and we said our goodbyes at the railway station, which is where we all fully went separate ways. I took a picture of the beautiful sunset from the station, boarded a train (the wrong one, as it later turned out when it didn't stop at my station) and I'm not ashamed to say I cried like a 3-year old who dropped his ice cream to the floor through the whole journey. And that was the end of an era.

Why do I say all this? Because I want to show you that ends can be good and fun but they are always hard too. You will be nervous. You will have lots of mixed feelings as you approach the end of school, and that's alright. There's not really an easy way to deal with it, but if you can, try to have a laugh and lots of fun with your friends before the end. Try to end school on a high note - it'll make you feel better about leaving and it will give you something nice to look back on. And seriously, enjoy your friends - you're going to miss them. Not consistently, but you will. So cherish them while they're still a regular fixture of your life. They will be feeling nervous too about the future and beyond, so you all can hopefully help one another. I know my friends and I did. You also have to keep in mind that, yes, a chapter of your life will finish, but a new one will start and that'll be great in its own way too. :smile:

Hey!

It's completely normal to feel nervous during the transition to university life. I have been there, and I understand how it feels like. I would advise you to embrace this mix of excitement and nervousness. Focus on the new opportunities, people, and experiences that await you. It's a chance to grow personally and academically. To tone down the nervousness, you can maybe try to connect future classmates, so that you have a couple of friends before starting university and you don't feel lonely at the start. You can do this through TSR, orientation events or may be visit the university if possible. Orientation Events and Freshers week are itself organized to make your transition smoother. All the best for your University Journey!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

@EmDavers33

Perhaps the anxiety is because unlike week long camps, you are going to be based somewhere far from home for the long term. Three years (or four depending on your course) is a long time, and even though you know that you can go home, and most probably will several times, it will be more difficult to make that journey physically and mentally between two places, that will both be 'home'.

It's normal to feel nervous, things are beginning to become more real as you make more and more decisions about uni life. It's okay, others in your class will likely be feeling similar to you and once you've finished your exams it might continue to feel weird until the adrenaline of going to uni begins : )

This year, you will most probably experience a range of emotions and that's okay. It's perfectly normal so allow yourself to grieve an ending, but to celebrate a new beginning.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@EmDavers33

Perhaps the anxiety is because unlike week long camps, you are going to be based somewhere far from home for the long term. Three years (or four depending on your course) is a long time, and even though you know that you can go home, and most probably will several times, it will be more difficult to make that journey physically and mentally between two places, that will both be 'home'.

It's normal to feel nervous, things are beginning to become more real as you make more and more decisions about uni life. It's okay, others in your class will likely be feeling similar to you and once you've finished your exams it might continue to feel weird until the adrenaline of going to uni begins : )

This year, you will most probably experience a range of emotions and that's okay. It's perfectly normal so allow yourself to grieve an ending, but to celebrate a new beginning.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

this was very nicely said - i will also definitely take on your advice ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending