The Student Room Group

What religion was Mary Shelley author of Frankenstein?

Just revising some context for my English lit GCSE on Wednesday (17th May). Just wanted to clarify as I thought she was Christian, but what religion was Mary Shelley as I've seen some sources say otherwise? (I am aware Percey Bysshe Shelley was atheist.) Thanks
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by user01906002
Just revising some context for my English lit GCSE on Wednesday (17th May). Just wanted to clarify as I thought she was Christian, but what religion was Mary Shelley as I've seen some sources say otherwise? (I am aware Percey Bysshe Shelley was atheist.) Thanks

Ur right I see many saying that Shelley is a strong Christian believer. But some says otherwise. Maybe this can help:
https://medium.com/@lexiloulee/morality-without-god-in-mary-shelleys-frankenstein-presented-at-swpaca-2017-5c9539466d61
Reply 2
Mary Shelley was a baptised Christian and married in a Church of England church.

She had married the atheist radical and poet Percy Bysshe Shelley on 30 December 1816, after the suicide of his wife Harriet.
The 16 year old Mary had eloped with Shelley in July 1814 when his wife was pregnant.
His son with Harriet was born in November 1814, his daughter with Mary was born in February 1815.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending