The Student Room Group

Do November Mocks matter?

My mocks were today and I know I had done terribly in my maths exam probably below a pass because I didn't attempt most questions because it was so hard and my teacher didn't teach it to me. Do mocks really matter?
Original post by HannahA2745
My mocks were today and I know I had done terribly in my maths exam probably below a pass because I didn't attempt most questions because it was so hard and my teacher didn't teach it to me. Do mocks really matter?

Your school might use them to generate a set of predicted grades for your sixth form/college application.
They are helpful if you revise for them, so you can get revision resources made etc but there not too important!

If this is your last set of mocks, then they matter a bit. They won't affect your final grades at all. However, they have a strong bearing on your predicted grades. Now, if you didn't do great in these mocks but demonstrated to your teachers that you're doing well (through other mocks, small tests or class work), your teachers may treat them as an outlier and your predicted grades may not be affected. But if you get a bad set of predicted grades, it may be harder to get into the sixth form courses that you want to.

was this the autumn mock of 2017 for edexcel maths?
Original post by Sammyboy1234
was this the autumn mock of 2017 for edexcel maths?
yes! it was so hard and I was so upset.
Original post by VirgoStrain
This is total rubbish. They use your actual results for college predictions. And so does the Fischer Trust when they predict A-Level results. GCSE mocks are immediately rendered worthless when you receive your final exam grade. If you skip the GCSE exam for a good reason however, that’s a different story. They might use it to predict a grade that the exam board will award you.

If anything's total rubbish, it's what you've said. How can a secondary school give predicted GCSE grade to colleges before the actual exam?

Of course the real GCSE grades aren't affected one bit by the mocks. But the mocks are the best data the school has to give predicted grades, at least until exam results day (which is far later than these predicted grades are issued).
You realise that you have A-Levels between GCSE and uni applications? You’re not applying to uni with GCSE’s. Please learn about the education system.

I'm talking about predicted grades for sixth-form, not predicted grades for unis. Please note that this thread is in the GCSE sub-forum, so it should be obvious.
If you’re aiming to remain in your current sixth form. Only final GCSE grades matter. Even if you’re applying for a different one they will judge who enters based on final results because people do over and underperform sometimes.

Of course they almost certainly won't instantly reject people based on predicted grades, but if they aren't high enough to get onto a certain course, it may not be easy to get onto the taster day course.
They are helpful to show you what you need to work on for the real exams and usually you have done a lot better than you think
This is total rubbish. They use your actual results for college predictions

The poster was referring to applications for 6th form, which are made before the GCSE results are available.

If you skip the GCSE exam for a good reason however, that’s a different story. They might use it to predict a grade that the exam board will award you.

They don't.
Reply 11
It depends if your in school or college.

Both will use them to predict your pass mark for the actual exam, so if for some reasons you don't get that mark they have a good case to put you forward for a remark.

In college it really doesn't matter that much as long as you are putting your homework in to show you are improving over time, and thus the teacher is happy for you to go into the exam. However, in some schools they wont put you into the exam unless you pass the mock, well they did in my day but that was a far while ago, hopefully it's changed now.

One thing to note is I went up a grade between mock and exam, as did some others in my class.

It does give you a good idea on what to expect from the exam and you can now revise harder to make sure you sail through it later on.
"They don't" erm excuse me I was given an entire assembly by the exam officer and this WAS the case. A previous student missed 2 weeks of exams due to ecoli and was awarded GCSE's in the missed subjects anyway based on past performance and predictions.

It was the case until about 12 years ago, but not since. Grades awarded when a student is absent are not based on the school's predictions - they're not even sent to the exam boards and haven't been for about 5 years - but on how the student has done in the other elements of the qualifications he has missed. How do I know? I am an exam officer.
So I must have been mislead. What do you mean by other elements - you mean like the ISA? I assume coursework can’t be considered that since it’s been abolished in humanities like geography.

The other elements are exams in that subject the student hasn't missed and coursework (if there is any). If you miss it all then they won't give you a grade unless (bizarrely) you are dead.
Helps you and teachers

They mean practically nothing. Take it from me who got the most A*s in my school, they do not mean anything whatsoever. I was getting Bs and As in my November mocks I think, and got almost all A*s in the summer. Just because they have little importance, it doesn't mean you should just slack off though - they could still be used to generate target grades (although these mean VERY little tbh). The only possible consequence of not doing well in November mocks is the chance of not getting an offer from a sixth form, if it's some highly prestigious 5A grade requirement sixth form (like mine is), as your target grades will be looked at. Even so the effect is negligible.
Ah so if you miss all components altogether it will be as if you didn’t take it at all - isn’t this equivalent to a fail? My certificate said anything below a 1 is not recorded.

Or maybe the subject doesn’t come up on the certificate since you didn’t take it - so it’s as if you never entered it?

Us don't appear on certificates but I believe universities can see them through UCAS so you need to declare them on university applications. If a candidate misses all the assessment then I always withdraw them so they don't get a U.

No they don't, don't worry:smile: My mocks were right after the Christmas holidays last year and I barely revised and so got As and Bs. For my real thing, I got 12A*s, so if I can do it, you can xx
anyone done their english literature how was it ?

Quick Reply

Latest