The Student Room Group

Worried about French writing

I did my French Writing paper today and I think I made a few small errors - I realised I got an irregular past participle wrong, and I put j'éspère de instead of j'éspère in the translation - do you think this will matter too much - I used at least 8 or 9 correctly used tenses in each question thAt I wrote, lots of different opinion phrases and some other grammatical phrases. I've never done a mock before, so I don't know how harshly they'll be marked. Also I wrote a lot - more than the required amount, but still in the given space. Will they mark it all?
Reply 1
Original post by A2324
I did my French Writing paper today and I think I made a few small errors - I realised I got an irregular past participle wrong, and I put j'éspère de instead of j'éspère in the translation - do you think this will matter too much - I used at least 8 or 9 correctly used tenses in each question thAt I wrote, lots of different opinion phrases and some other grammatical phrases. I've never done a mock before, so I don't know how harshly they'll be marked. Also I wrote a lot - more than the required amount, but still in the given space. Will they mark it all?

Translation is usually marked more harshly than the rest of the writing. You might marked down by like one mark as the way exam boards split the marks in MFL translation is that they split the passage into 13 sections and there will be a list of things telling examiners to reject/accept. If it was not accepted the worst is just being marked down by a mark.

For your other questions, I would assume that you will be highly marked as that is WAY more than what teacher tell us to write, but assuming you are native or at least have a good knowledge of French it should be alright. And they will read everything you write as I did overwrite my Chinese exam and asked for extra paper. This will not get marked down as long as you stick to the question

I have also attached the 2021 November AQA P4 mark scheme for your reference. https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2021/november/AQA-86584H-MS-NOV21.PDF
Reply 2
Okay, thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by Zantu
Translation is usually marked more harshly than the rest of the writing. You might marked down by like one mark as the way exam boards split the marks in MFL translation is that they split the passage into 13 sections and there will be a list of things telling examiners to reject/accept. If it was not accepted the worst is just being marked down by a mark.

For your other questions, I would assume that you will be highly marked as that is WAY more than what teacher tell us to write, but assuming you are native or at least have a good knowledge of French it should be alright. And they will read everything you write as I did overwrite my Chinese exam and asked for extra paper. This will not get marked down as long as you stick to the question

I have also attached the 2021 November AQA P4 mark scheme for your reference. https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2021/november/AQA-86584H- MS-NOV21.PDF

Thanks, I looked it up and discovered that most exams boards (including mine) mark the long writing questions positively, meaning that they give you marks for what you show you can do rather than penalise you for making mistakes, as long as you cover the relevant topics, so the couple of little mistakes I made shouldn't matter too much hopefully
Reply 4
Original post by A2324
Thanks, I looked it up and discovered that most exams boards (including mine) mark the long writing questions positively, meaning that they give you marks for what you show you can do rather than penalise you for making mistakes, as long as you cover the relevant topics, so the couple of little mistakes I made shouldn't matter too much hopefully

Yes! Good luck on results day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending