The Student Room Group

maths exam 8th nov 2017 - need help asap please

need help asap please maths gcse retake 8th november
Original post by jamessmith2222

Is there something in particular you need help with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A little late to be asking for help, no? But anyways, is this a retake for AS Maths or GCSE Maths? And what specific thing would you like help on. Start with your weakest.
Original post by Lemur14
Is there something in particular you need help with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh, i havent even revised much so i want to find out possibly the mark scheme or maybe a predicted paper
Original post by S.H.Rahman
A little late to be asking for help, no? But anyways, is this a retake for AS Maths or GCSE Maths? And what specific thing would you like help on. Start with your weakest.

GCSE maths and tbh a predicted paper would help or topics that would deffo come up
Reply 5
If you do Edexcel, have a read of this thread. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5026698
tbh, i havent even revised much so i want to find out possibly the mark scheme or maybe a predicted paper

There won't be a mark scheme around yet :noway: If you can, I would suggest doing a specimen paper 3 or something, but at this stage it may be better just to get a good night's sleep. Remember in the exam to read the question and show all your working.
If you have any topics which you want to review then using maths genie to find some last minute revision questions would also be a good shout
Good luck!
Original post by Lemur14
There won't be a mark scheme around yet :noway: If you can, I would suggest doing a specimen paper 3 or something, but at this stage it may be better just to get a good night's sleep. Remember in the exam to read the question and show all your working.
If you have any topics which you want to review then using maths genie to find some last minute revision questions would also be a good shout
Good luck!

SHOUTTT, thanks, all i've been doing is papers but i dont get how that would help me out at this point. all i gotta do is pray inshallah i pass
SHOUTTT, thanks, all i've been doing is papers but i dont get how that would help me out at this point. all i gotta do is pray inshallah i pass

Past papers are great for improving your exam technique, helping with timing issues and generally getting you into the mindset of the exam. I agree that 10:30 the night before probably isn't the time to start one though!
If you have any specific questions I'll be around for a little bit so you can tag me and I'll see what I can do :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Past papers are great for improving your exam technique, helping with timing issues and generally getting you into the mindset of the exam. I agree that 10:30 the night before probably isn't the time to start one though!
If you have any specific questions I'll be around for a little bit so you can tag me and I'll see what I can do :smile:

At this point i might as well give it all i have no matter the time instead of giving up, cause ive failed for 2 years now and currently in year 13 which is a bit..... and do you have any techniques i can use eg how to answer questions or a few tricks if a certain type of question comes up
At this point i might as well give it all i have no matter the time instead of giving up, cause ive failed for 2 years now and currently in year 13 which is a bit..... and do you have any techniques i can use eg how to answer questions or a few tricks if a certain type of question comes up

You shouldn't give up!
higher or foundation?
Original post by Lemur14
You shouldn't give up!
higher or foundation?

higher
higher

Great, that's much easier for me as I did that :smile:
So the basic rule for all questions is:

First read the question.

Then underline all the useful information

Then write out any equations you may need to use (including units!)

Check if the units needed match the units given (more often a trick used in physics, but worth checking all the same)

Make it as clear as possible what you've done in your working

When you've finished (or got as far as you can), go back and reread the question to check you are giving the answer in the right form/to the right degree of accuracy (eg. 3sf) and you haven't missed any key information

Where possible, use a different method to check (or if it's a quick sum, you could do it by hand originally then check on the calculator)
Remember that estimation is always to one significant figure, unless it's something like 0.49 which you should round to 0.5 (basically if it would round to 0, but is almost 0.5 then it should be 0.5, but otherwise round to 1sf)
Even if you can't do part a of a question, still read part b as you may be able to do that even if you haven't done part a (especially if part a is show that...)
If you can't do a question then move on and come back to it later, then later write down anything you can do as part of the question even if it does not produce a final answer
Know your equations! Especially quadratic equation, sine and cosine laws
Remember in probability, if one event will happen, or the other one they must add up to 1 (eg. bus is stopped by a traffic light probability is 0.3 then bus not being stopped is 1-0.3=0.7)
If it says to prove something, make sure you include a concluding statement (which will basically repeat what the question says, eg. therefore, 2(n+1) is always even)
Good luck!
Original post by Lemur14
Great, that's much easier for me as I did that :smile:
So the basic rule for all questions is:

First read the question.

Then underline all the useful information

Then write out any equations you may need to use (including units!)

Check if the units needed match the units given (more often a trick used in physics, but worth checking all the same)

Make it as clear as possible what you've done in your working

When you've finished (or got as far as you can), go back and reread the question to check you are giving the answer in the right form/to the right degree of accuracy (eg. 3sf) and you haven't missed any key information

Where possible, use a different method to check (or if it's a quick sum, you could do it by hand originally then check on the calculator)
Remember that estimation is always to one significant figure, unless it's something like 0.49 which you should round to 0.5 (basically if it would round to 0, but is almost 0.5 then it should be 0.5, but otherwise round to 1sf)
Even if you can't do part a of a question, still read part b as you may be able to do that even if you haven't done part a (especially if part a is show that...)
If you can't do a question then move on and come back to it later, then later write down anything you can do as part of the question even if it does not produce a final answer
Know your equations! Especially quadratic equation, sine and cosine laws
Remember in probability, if one event will happen, or the other one they must add up to 1 (eg. bus is stopped by a traffic light probability is 0.3 then bus not being stopped is 1-0.3=0.7)
If it says to prove something, make sure you include a concluding statement (which will basically repeat what the question says, eg. therefore, 2(n+1) is always even)
Good luck!

thanks man, i appreciate this a lot, ill try my best
thanks man, i appreciate this a lot, ill try my best

No worries :smile: Hope you smash it!
Original post by Lemur14
No worries :smile: Hope you smash it!

just done my maths exam today, it was hard i cant even lie but then again i found it alright
just done my maths exam today, it was hard i cant even lie but then again i found it alright

Well done! Hope the result is what you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
need help asap please maths GCSE 6 November 2017 foundation tier

Quick Reply

Latest