The Student Room Group

"UK wellbeing rises after Brexit vote"

There has been a small but significant increase in the UK's feeling of wellbeing in the year following the Brexit vote.

More than 100,000 adult UK residents were asked to answer the following questions, on a scale of nought to 10, with nought being "not at all" and 10 being "completely":

Overall, how satisfied are you with your life nowadays?
Overall, to what extent do you feel the things you do in your life are worthwhile?
Overall, how happy did you feel yesterday?
Overall, how anxious did you feel yesterday?

A higher proportion of people reported very high levels of life satisfaction, happiness and feelings that life was worthwhile in the year ending June 2017 compared with the previous year.

Rates of anxiety have slightly increased but not significantly.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Has your wellbeing seen an increase since the Brexit vote? Do you think that this increase actually has nothing to do with Brexit.
Complete nonsense and highly misleading. The title makes it out as if Brexit caused this.

One just has to look at the graph to see there have been continuous increases in measures of wel being since 2011. There is no structural break to be seen I would be highly surprised if there actually was one.

Very sloppy journalism and also I wonder what the producers of this data had in mind, too.
I would be very surprised if this was remotely related to Brexit; if anything, it seems to have had the opposite affect on people.
I feel completely unaffected by Brexit.

Original post by Danny Dorito
There has been a small but significant increase in the UK's feeling of wellbeing in the year following the Brexit vote.

More than 100,000 adult UK residents were asked to answer the following questions, on a scale of nought to 10, with nought being "not at all" and 10 being "completely":

Overall, how satisfied are you with your life nowadays?
Overall, to what extent do you feel the things you do in your life are worthwhile?
Overall, how happy did you feel yesterday?
Overall, how anxious did you feel yesterday?

A higher proportion of people reported very high levels of life satisfaction, happiness and feelings that life was worthwhile in the year ending June 2017 compared with the previous year.

Rates of anxiety have slightly increased but not significantly.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Has your wellbeing seen an increase since the Brexit vote? Do you think that this increase actually has nothing to do with Brexit.
I don't think brexit is particularly relevant to one's sense of wellbeing. Wellbeing tends to be related to one's very specific individual circumstances, which are barely affected by macro level political shifts like brexit unless you get some mad **** going on like violent revolutions or some such like.
All I can think is that the number of wealthy people asked in the survey has increased because the bottom half of the country is really starting to hurt from crippling house prices and rents, increased food food and fuel prices caused by the falling pound (since Brexit) and stagnated wage growth over the last 10 years.

I can't remember what the bullsh1t figure of how much worse off we would be after Brexit, but I calculate I am already several hundred quid down just on the increased price of travelling abroad this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending