The Student Room Group

Physics or Maths? for a level

physics or maths? how is the content on each subjects and what career opportunities will they open?
What are your other choices? :smile: do you enjoy one more than the other?
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
What are your other choices? :smile: do you enjoy one more than the other?

i'm choosing chemistry and biology and idk which to pick for my third option? i enjoy both equally!
Original post by isadiya
physics or maths? how is the content on each subjects and what career opportunities will they open?

It’s worth nothing that people will say physics is a hell of a lot harder if you don’t do it alongside maths, so if you aren’t going to pick both, I’d recommend maths. ☺️
Reply 4
Original post by FloralHybrid
It’s worth nothing that people will say physics is a hell of a lot harder if you don’t do it alongside maths, so if you aren’t going to pick both, I’d recommend maths. ☺️

thank you sm! this really helped me!
Original post by FloralHybrid

Eh I'd say maths is the harder A level after AS. Physics is just a bunch of different topics and barely touches the surface.
Original post by Appleorpear
Eh I'd say maths is the harder A level after AS. Physics is just a bunch of different topics and barely touches the surface.

Understandable. It really depends on the student, but from what I’ve heard, physics is still much harder without maths. x
Original post by isadiya

If your choosing out of the two of them definitely choose Maths as Physics is a very maths intense subject so demands a lot of the skills and knowledge you gain in doing A-Level Maths. If you do choose to do Physics perhaps at least do AS Maths on top.

Doing an A-Level either Physics or Maths gives you a lot of logical thinking skills and so both open up a wide variety of career paths.

Physics mainly opens up routes such as:
- Going into the many different types of Engineering
- Other Maths related fields or a degree in Physics
- Medicine/BioMed as these courses require 2 sciences (and sometimes maths)

Maths career opportunities:
- A degree in Maths is seen to be the most employable subjects to a variety of different skills since many different fields require Maths.
- Medicine if you have chosen to do 2 sciences.
- Economics, Accounting, Actuarial Sciences.
- Engineering (although most Engineering courses highly recommend you having Physics)

So, in summary, would choose Maths as it opens up more career as paths and because doing Physics means you'll need Maths Knowledge so if it's a one or the other situation and you are not able to choose both, go for Maths :smile:
I'd definitely go for maths, adds a little more variety to your choices too, plus the above poster was right that physics will be tricky without maths, I know many people who take maths and find physics their hardest subject by far.
Reply 9
Maths all the way, do further maths too, the best subject in the world is maths. Physics is cool but the a level is boring and monotonous. The mechanics in maths is harder than the physics stuff and more is covered if you do M2 as well. I'm not being biased.
Reply 10
Original post by S.H.Rahman
If your choosing out of the two of them definitely choose Maths as Physics is a very maths intense subject so demands a lot of the skills and knowledge you gain in doing A-Level Maths. If you do choose to do Physics perhaps at least do AS Maths on top.

Doing an A-Level either Physics or Maths gives you a lot of logical thinking skills and so both open up a wide variety of career paths.

Physics mainly opens up routes such as:
- Going into the many different types of Engineering
- Other Maths related fields or a degree in Physics
- Medicine/BioMed as these courses require 2 sciences (and sometimes maths)

Maths career opportunities:
- A degree in Maths is seen to be the most employable subjects to a variety of different skills since many different fields require Maths.
- Medicine if you have chosen to do 2 sciences.
- Economics, Accounting, Actuarial Sciences.
- Engineering (although most Engineering courses highly recommend you having Physics)

So, in summary, would choose Maths as it opens up more career as paths and because doing Physics means you'll need Maths Knowledge so if it's a one or the other situation and you are not able to choose both, go for Maths :smile:

thank you this helped! i will be choosing maths then and maybe do physics/psychology as an AS level!
Original post by isadiya
thank you this helped! i will be choosing maths then and maybe do physics/psychology as an AS level!

Physics all day,from creation to collapse:wink:
I took A-Level physics without doing AS/A level maths. Its fairly easy as long as you study hard. However, my biggest regret is not taking A-Level maths. Not because it would have made physics easier, but simply because the content will be so useful in the future. If you want the most deadly combination of subjects I would go for Maths and Physics, dropping biology. Going into A-level I loved biology but unless you plan on going into medicine/biological fields you'll find that it is extremely tedious (I loathed it with a passion by the time I had finished) and that the mark schemes are very subjective/cruel in comparison to maths and physics. Good luck
Original post by isadiya

Sounds great, Good luck!
Maths

Quick Reply

Latest