The Student Room Group

My vinyl collection

So I've been collecting vinyl since 2012 and have around 250 records as of right now. I mainly collect jazz, prog rock, krautrock, funk, soul, zeuhl and Brazilian records. Use a Rega Rp1, Marantz PM6005 and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 Floorstanding Speakers. Would love to see record collections of others on the forum.
IMG_4489.jpg
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physical collection:

Reply 2
Where's the vinyl?
Reply 3
That is not vinyl, vinyl is that stuff that just fits in the Ikea unit (think Lack)that seems made for it, has lots of hisses and often undulates on the turntable, it often comes with lots of neat inserts/features, like the rotating disc on Led Zep 3, all the posters glossy photos in the White Album etc etc
You have as much vinyls as me... Well in this case it's 0 :tongue:
Original post by gjd800
Where's the vinyl?

Original post by DJKL
That is not vinyl, vinyl is that stuff that just fits in the Ikea unit (think Lack)that seems made for it, has lots of hisses and often undulates on the turntable, it often comes with lots of neat inserts/features, like the rotating disc on Led Zep 3, all the posters glossy photos in the White Album etc etc

Original post by JonathanFR
You have as much vinyls as me... Well in this case it's 0 :tongue:

Sorry guys, my original post which had a pic of my vinyl collection is "being checked by a member of the moderation team" for some reason. Hence the reason why you can't see it right now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by acemachine26
Sorry guys, my original post which had a pic of my vinyl collection is "being checked by a member of the moderation team" for some reason. Hence the reason why you can't see it right now.

Sweet, will check back later. I'm fairly new to my own vinyl (inherited loads, though), but I have about 2000 CDs. Gave up adding them to my discogs, haha!
Can people see the image now? I can but as a community assistant I can likely see more than other people.

My turntable setup is very new (less than one month old) but I'm using
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers
Pioneer A-10-K 50W amp
Audio-Technica AT-LP60 turntable

Most of the records I've bought have been prog rock (mainly Genesis and Mike Oldfield) or similar. Although I do have a growing collection of black metal, too.
I'm looking to get some Kraftwerk records at some point but I'm struggling to find them for a fair price online. I'll probably check the vinyl stands at the market on Saturday but I'm not sure they'll have what I'm looking for.
So I've been collecting vinyl since 2012 and have around 250 records as of right now. I mainly collect jazz, prog rock, krautrock, funk, soul, zeuhl and Brazilian records. Use a Rega Rp1, Marantz PM6005 and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 Floorstanding Speakers. Would love to see record collections of others on the forum.

I have got quite a few from when they were released! No CDS when I was a teenager :smile:

From your image I have 'Days of Future Passed' and 'LA Woman' - some of the Yea albums have interesting covers. Wishbone Ash 'Argus' was also an early one I bought.
Original post by Muttley79
I have got quite a few from when they were released! No CDS when I was a teenager :smile:

From your image I have 'Days of Future Passed' and 'LA Woman' - some of the Yea albums have interesting covers. Wishbone Ash 'Argus' was also an early one I bought.

I've got a few Yes albums too. I love Argus although I don't have that on vinyl yet.
Original post by Muttley79

I've got a few Yes albums too. I love Argus although I don't have that on vinyl yet.

Argus is my favourite album ever. I have a compilation vinyl of Wishbone Ash that I got in Edinburgh last year which features a few tracks from Argus but I've yet to buy the full album on vinyl. I've seen it in a few shops for really quite incredibly high prices which I assume meant it was an unopened original pressing. When I do eventually buy it, I will want a decent quality pressing, it seems the 1970s ones are not pressed onto particularly good plastic, but the 1980s and later repressed are decent.
Original post by Manitude

My turntable setup is very new (less than one month old) but I'm using
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers
Pioneer A-10-K 50W amp
Audio-Technica AT-LP60 turntable

Lol.
Aah, more kids calling records "vinyls". Best way to tell the poseurs from the actual collectors - especially when they have them on display, like they were there to be looked at rather than listened to.

This being in mind: no, I can't post a picture of my collection, because my LPs are all safely tucked up in cases until I want to listen to them. Same with my tapes and my CDs. I do, however, have a *****en HiFi setup.
Decent mate, that Moody Blues album is superb.

I have lots of classic rock and some soul/RnB. Some pop. What funk records do you have?
Original post by uberteknik
Lol.

What's so funny?
Original post by Tootles
Best way to tell the poseurs from the actual collectors - especially when they have them on display, like they were there to be looked at rather than listened to.

Was that comment aimed at me because I chose to display 8 of my records in the pic I posted? I love great album covers as much as I love great albums and I don't see records as just an audio format but as a piece of art that's great to look at too.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Decent mate, that Moody Blues album is superb.

I have lots of classic rock and some soul/RnB. Some pop. What funk records do you have?

I have records by Parliament/Funkadelic, Prince, Boscoe, Curtis Mayfield, Sly & the Family Stone Fela Kuti and a few jazz- funk albums from Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock.
Was that comment aimed at me because I chose to display 8 of my records in the pic I posted? I love great album covers as much as I love great albums and I don't see records as just an audio format but as a piece of art that's great to look at too.

I think displaying them is OK, I love a lot of the artwork and btw I can't even play mine.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I think displaying them is OK, I love a lot of the artwork and btw I can't even play mine.
So get a turntable.

Quick Reply

Latest