The Student Room Group

What is the best video game series with a well known video game character?

Hi lovely video gamers!

As the title of the thread is very clear, I would love to know your personal favorite game series which is linked with a famous game character.

Zelda, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Sonic, Super Metroid, Kirby, Bomberman, Star Fox just to name but a few. And the list goes on. The choice is very huge, that is why it would be nice that you reason your favorites.

I personally have almost played those video game series and I almost own every single game in my collection. And the series I like most of all is the Mega Man one. Liked the concept of selecting the stages, running, shooting and jumping through those till the boss fights, get the weapons of the robot masters to make some gaming situations easier, enter the Wily stages to defeat himself in a final fight. Plus the nice rock an roll-like soundtracks, so catching!

And now you can tell about your favorite series and game character. Feel free to share your gaming experiences! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tomb Raider
Fireboy from Fireboy and Watergirl :smile:
Reply 3
Tomb Raider was easily the most technologically groundbreaking franchise of the 1990s.
Reply 4
Toejam & Earl and uhm..Bubble Bobble... a bit retro but i'm old you see! :frown: ... lots of good memories playing those games with my siblings growing up.

Honourable mention : Lara Croft from Tomb raider...simply because she attended UCL which is were i'm trying to get into also lol
Mmmm Bioshock 😎 The Big Daddies/Little Sisters are the franchise lead. Elizabeth also kicked off the whole young teen companion stuff that's been all the hype ever r since. Good stuff, shame it's over.

Also the Fallout series, the Deathclaws, Super Mutants and Brotherhood of Steel are all recognisable. And there's nothing else really like it, in both its incarnations.
Original post by Kallisto
Hi lovely video gamers!

As the title of the thread is very clear, I would love to know your personal favorite game series which is linked with a famous game character.

Zelda, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Sonic, Super Metroid, Kirby, Bomberman, Star Fox just to name but a few. And the list goes on. The choice is very huge, that is why it would be nice that you reason your favorites.

I personally have almost played those video game series and I almost own every single game in my collection. And the series I like most of all is the Mega Man one. Liked the concept of selecting the stages, running, shooting and jumping through those till the boss fights, get the weapons of the robot masters to make some gaming situations easier, enter the Wily stages to defeat himself in a final fight. Plus the nice rock an roll-like soundtracks, so catching!

And now you can tell about your favorite series and game character. Feel free to share your gaming experiences! :smile:

Big Boss - Metal Gear Solid
Original post by Xopher_
Tomb Raider

Original post by Profesh
Tomb Raider was easily the most technologically groundbreaking franchise of the 1990s.

Right! the best female character in the gaming universe. Have never played those games, maybe I am not so familar to play female characters as a man. Sounds strange, but that is what I am.
Joel - the last of us / Naked Snake - metal gear solid 3
Ash or Pikachu from Pokemon
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
Ash or Pikachu from Pokemon

I was just waiting for the first pokemon lover who replies here. And it happened faster than I thought. :redface: Pokemon as gaming series is nice, but there were so many monsters to play that a video game character is not to be determined so easily. But I would take the trainer in this case, whatever his/her name is.

No Crash Bandicoot fan so far?! really?!? I am a bit surprised.
Reply 11
Uncharted deserves a mention.
I was just waiting for the first pokemon lover who replies here. And it happened faster than I thought. :redface: Pokemon as gaming series is nice, but there were so many monsters to play that a video game character is not to be determined so easily. But I would take the trainer in this case, whatever his/her name is.

No Crash Bandicoot fan so far?! really?!? I am a bit surprised.

I'm not really a huge Pokemon lover but I was just bored and this thread came up haha. I did play it a lot when I was younger though, and I did really like it.

Ash is the trainer from Pokemon by the way and is on the tv series so I think he's quite noticeable :smile:
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I'm not really a huge Pokemon lover but I was just bored and this thread came up haha. I did play it a lot when I was younger though, and I did really like it.

Ash is the trainer from Pokemon by the way and is on the tv series so I think he's quite noticeable :smile:

Have played the game in my younger years a lot too. Yeah in the TV series his name is Ash, but I called him blue or red in most of the cases.

Original post by SGHD26716
Uncharted deserves a mention.

You can tell a bit more about this series. First of all I would love to know why this is so awesome for you.

Original post by Froppy
Toejam & Earl and uhm..Bubble Bobble... a bit retro but i'm old you see! :frown: ... lots of good memories playing those games with my siblings growing up.

(...)

Toejam and Earl is really an unknwon game for me, although I was grown up as retro like you. Bubble Bobble in turn is quite familar to me, but I have played this gaming concept in other variations. Its not a shame that you know such old games! :yes:
I thought it was Mario...:indiff:
Original post by Profesh

Because you get to follow around looking at the butt of a beautiful girl for a change instead of all of these 3rd person games where the main character are always dudes, lol. :smile:
The Legend of Zelda for me, with Link's Awakening being my favourite single game within the franchise.

Mario is a close second, simply due to the sheer number of different Mario (and associated character) games out there. So far, I've never played a bad one.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
The Legend of Zelda for me, with Link's Awakening being my favourite single game within the franchise.

Mario is a close second, simply due to the sheer number of different Mario (and associated character) games out there. So far, I've never played a bad one.

So, Link is your favorite game character in a game series? or are you think about an antagonist, ganendorf by any chance? actually I asked for protagonists and heroes or anti-heroes.
So, Link is your favorite game character in a game series? or are you think about an antagonist, ganendorf by any chance? actually I asked for protagonists and heroes or anti-heroes.

I'd say Link is my favourite protagonist from a really big series, yes. Even though he doesn't say anything. :p: But when it comes to villains, I'd say Mario has the more iconic ones with Bowser and Wario.
Franklin GTA

Quick Reply

Latest