The Student Room Group

Help me choose a uni for game arts course

Hello I'm Juan.

I was looking for the best uni to get into for games art.

My main five choices are:

1.-Teesside University: They have both games art and concept art degrees, and from what I've seen their material seems up to date. Also teesside is up to the north and I know it will be cheaper to live there.

2-Hertfordshire University: I think this is the Uni with most renown for games art in the UK but I'm not sure If I will be able to get in. Aside from being an EU student, my grades aren't super high and my portfolio is okay'ish. But they seem to be looking for already high lvl artists to help them grow.

3.- Staffordshire Uni: Again like teesside a very cheap place and from what I'ive seen in the interviews for the course, the guy has a good idea of video games and 3d and it's not some random history professor talking about games art. Their course material looks pretty good to me.

4.-Norwich University for the Arts: Again like Hertfordshire they have tons of renown and have a fair each year about games design and art, I believe this is huge because of the networking possibilties. But also like the former, I'm not sure if I will be able to get in.

5.-Manchester Metropolitan Uni: From the students work that i've seen, it seems pretty good, but it's not my main choice honestly.

I've researched quite a bit and could not really find other good courses(inform me if I'm wrong). The other universities seem very lazy and a cash grab of a course. The student work in the others seems to be pretty weak, and the course description shows that they don't even know what they are talking about.
Hi @axexxl4

I hope you're able to get some impartial feedback that's useful to you on Games Art for your uni choices.

One of our Games Art students (Juliette) is available on Unibuddy if you had any specific questions about our course.

https://unibuddy.co/embed/staffordshire-university/colour/D70A26/buddies/students/626a87f71a9b7274a54ceca5?buddyPosition=7

Our next open day in 11 June, if you needed to find out more.

Best of luck!, Shaun
Original post by axexxl4
Hello I'm Juan.

1.-Teesside University: They have both games art and concept art degrees, and from what I've seen their material seems up to date. Also teesside is up to the north and I know it will be cheaper to live there.

2-Hertfordshire University: I think this is the Uni with most renown for games art in the UK but I'm not sure If I will be able to get in. Aside from being an EU student, my grades aren't super high and my portfolio is okay'ish. But they seem to be looking for already high lvl artists to help them grow.

3.- Staffordshire Uni: Again like teesside a very cheap place and from what I'ive seen in the interviews for the course, the guy has a good idea of video games and 3d and it's not some random history professor talking about games art. Their course material looks pretty good to me.

4.-Norwich University for the Arts: Again like Hertfordshire they have tons of renown and have a fair each year about games design and art, I believe this is huge because of the networking possibilties. But also like the former, I'm not sure if I will be able to get in.

5.-Manchester Metropolitan Uni: From the students work that i've seen, it seems pretty good, but it's not my main choice honestly.

I've researched quite a bit and could not really find other good courses(inform me if I'm wrong). The other universities seem very lazy and a cash grab of a course. The student work in the others seems to be pretty weak, and the course description shows that they don't even know what they are talking about.

Hi. I'm currently a 4th-year Game Art student at Escape Studios and thought I'd give you a little bit of information about our Game Art course (The Art of Video Games) and a little bit about Escape Studios.

Escape Studios is the only Higher Education Institution that is certified as an Unreal Authorized Training Centre and one of two Training Centres in the entire UK. We are also a Rookies Certified School ranking #1 in the UK for Game Design and Development and #8 in the world. (https://discover.therookies.co/schools/best-game-design-schools-in-the-world/).

Our courses are made in line with current industry trends and techniques and we have many close contacts within the games industry. This includes frequent talks provided by industry professionals and part of your grade is provided by a person from the industry, so your work will be in front of professionals before you even graduate, which is a great opportunity to network.

The Game Art course is a 3 year Bachelor's Degree with the option to do a 4th year focused around running your own business. We focus on Environment Art (creating the worlds that you would play in) using software such as Maya, the Substance Packages and Unreal Engine.

A few of my former classmates have gone on to find work at studios such as Avalanche, Rocksteady, Cloud Imperium and Playground Games, among others within a year of graduating (with some finding a place before they finished their degree and starting just after graduating).

More information about the course can be found here: https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac.uk/find-a-course/undergraduate/ba-ma-the-art-of-video-games-integrated-masters.html

If there is any more information you would like to know, feel free to reach out here or at [email protected] or [email protected]

I hope the info I have provided is of use to you and best of luck, wherever you decide to go.

- James
Original post by axexxl4
Hello I'm Juan.

Hey @Juan

Looks like you've already carried out some great research. Here's a few things you maybe didn't know about our computer games art courses :smile:

We offer POWER UP - an innovative Indie Games Accelerator programme for early stage independent videos games studios - https://www.teessidelaunchpad.co.uk/power-up

We host Animex, an international festival of animation, VFX and games. This year's festival has an incredible range of computer games experts, including Christine Phelan from Valve. Best known for her work on the groundbreaking VR game, Half-Life. Tim Dawson and Wren Brier from Witch Beam Games are coming to talk about their award-winning indie game, Unpacking, which received a BAFTA. Current students can showcase their work - which is an amazing opportunity for them. You can find out more about Animex here

You can get an idea of the types of things you might be learning on your course and the facilities you have access to here

I hope this info has helped and best of luck with your journey into higher education, wherever you choose to go.
Kate
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @axexxl4

I hope you're able to get some impartial feedback that's useful to you on Games Art for your uni choices.

One of our Games Art students (Juliette) is available on Unibuddy if you had any specific questions about our course.

https://unibuddy.co/embed/staffordshire-university/colour/D70A26/buddies/students/626a87f71a9b7274a54ceca5?buddyPosition=7

Our next open day in 11 June, if you needed to find out more.

Best of luck!, Shaun

Hey Juan,

I've just signed up to 'The Student Room' and have just seen this thread.

I may be too late to the conversation, as you may have already made your decision. But I highly recommend Staffordshire for games art. I've just completed my first year studying the course here and it is absolutely amazing. You have online pages where lecturers can give feedback on your work at any time. I cannot fault the advice they have given me and I managed to get high marks for my work. There is a digital art and game dev society where you can hang out with people on the same/similar course and work together.

Student life: Cost of living at Stoke-on-Trent is very low (including accomodation) compared to some other universities. There is a train station a 2min walk from campus, so you can easily travel wherever you want to. The Uni has their own on-site nightclub (with very cheap drinks!), as well as cafes, buritto bar, food halls, art shop and convenience stores.

That's just a quick rundown of the Uni! I could go on for a while if I don't stop myself.

All the best and I hope University goes well for you

- Juliette
Original post by Escape Studios Rep
Hi. I'm currently a 4th-year Game Art student at Escape Studios and thought I'd give you a little bit of information about our Game Art course (The Art of Video Games) and a little bit about Escape Studios.

Escape Studios is the only Higher Education Institution that is certified as an Unreal Authorized Training Centre and one of two Training Centres in the entire UK. We are also a Rookies Certified School ranking #1 in the UK for Game Design and Development and #8 in the world. (https://discover.therookies.co/schools/best-game-design-schools-in-the-world/).

Our courses are made in line with current industry trends and techniques and we have many close contacts within the games industry. This includes frequent talks provided by industry professionals and part of your grade is provided by a person from the industry, so your work will be in front of professionals before you even graduate, which is a great opportunity to network.

The Game Art course is a 3 year Bachelor's Degree with the option to do a 4th year focused around running your own business. We focus on Environment Art (creating the worlds that you would play in) using software such as Maya, the Substance Packages and Unreal Engine.

A few of my former classmates have gone on to find work at studios such as Avalanche, Rocksteady, Cloud Imperium and Playground Games, among others within a year of graduating (with some finding a place before they finished their degree and starting just after graduating).

More information about the course can be found here: https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac.uk/find-a-course/undergraduate/ba-ma-the-art-of-video-games-integrated-masters.html

If there is any more information you would like to know, feel free to reach out here or at [email protected] or [email protected]

I hope the info I have provided is of use to you and best of luck, wherever you decide to go.

- James

Hi James,
Is Escape Studios taking international students?
Original post by CreateYourState
Hi James,
Is Escape Studios taking international students?

Hi @CreateYourState!

If you are in an EU country, you can contact [email protected] for more information. Unfortunately, we are currently unable to accept non-EU students who require a student visa to study in the UK.

Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep
Reply 7
Original post by axexxl4
Hello I'm Juan.

Hi, im currently trying to decide on a uni too and im considering 3/5 of the unis you mentioned. It’d be good to know what uni you decided on going to and how it’s going. Also, i haven't been able to find any student work from manchester met so if you know where to look id love to know!
Reply 8
Original post by axexxl4
Hello I'm Juan.

Hey...
which university you chose
I'm also planning for master's in Computer Game Design
you have any suggestions foe me...

Quick Reply

Latest