The Student Room Group

Are my A level choices good for a medical course?

I chose Biology, Chemistry and Politics for my a levels, I would've done business as well as the sciences but my careers adviser said that politics would be a better a level to do but now I'm not too sure if I made the right choice for a medical/dentistry course at a Russell group uni? I need honest advice do I still have a chance at getting into one of them?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by applesandalevels
I choose Biology, Chemistry and Politics for my a levels, I would've done business as well as the sciences but my careers adviser said that politics would be a better a level to do but now I'm not too sure if I made the right choice for a medical/dentistry course at a Russell group uni? I need honest advice do I still have a chanc at getting into one of them?

I would have thought you need a maths/physics with that.
Med schools ask for chemistry and one other science subject the third is up to you. I know this because I have been looking at what a-levels to take to get into medicine aswell. I have decided up on biology chemistry and maths. Although that’s for any uni. Russel groups want maths or physics if you are to succeed
(edited 6 years ago)
t
Original post by cherrymartyna

I would've done maths but I struggled sometimes with the GCSE I got an A in the end but the idea of doing it at A level was something I couldn't do and my school didn't let any do triple science since it limits your options in case you wanted to choose a different career path
Yeah should be fine.

(Only exception is cambridge for which you'd need maths/physics)
Original post by Lowri.frncs
Med schools ask for chemistry and one other science subject the third is up to you. I know this because I have been looking at what a-levels to take to get into medicine aswell. I have decided up on biology chemistry and maths. Although that’s for any uni. Russel groups want maths or physics if you are to succeed

Ye I know that I'm just worried my a level choices won't be as strong
Ye I know that I'm just worried my a level choices won't be as strong

Do you still have time to change, or maybe do a fourth up to AS then drop it? If so that may work
My friend has multiple interviews and is doing biology, chemistry and English literature so don't believe those who say you NEED maths or physics. Some unis may require them (probably oxbridge) but most ask for chemistry and biology with your third being anything else so your choices are fine!
I chose Biology, Chemistry and Politics for my a levels, I would've done business as well as the sciences but my careers adviser said that politics would be a better a level to do but now I'm not too sure if I made the right choice for a medical/dentistry course at a Russell group uni? I need honest advice do I still have a chance at getting into one of them?

You need maths
As long as you have biology and chemistry you can apply for any medical school. Russel group unis does not apply in the case of medicine. All medical degrees are the same and all med schools are equally good.

No. Chemistry is compulsory for all med schools. Biology is needed by some med schools.

t

I would've done maths but I struggled sometimes with the GCSE I got an A in the end but the idea of doing it at A level was something I couldn't do and my school didn't let any do triple science since it limits your options in case you wanted to choose a different career path

You do not need maths for medicine nor do any universities require maths for medicine.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah should be fine.

(Only exception is cambridge for which you'd need maths/physics)

The majority of successful Cambridge students have 3 sciences which is what I think you're referring to but correlation =/= causation. It is just a trend that the more successful candidates take 3 sciences (maths, biology, chemistry, physics) not the reason why they are successful.
Original post by GrandExecutioner
No. Chemistry is compulsory for all med schools. Biology is needed by some med schools.

You do not need maths for medicine nor do any universities require maths for medicine.

The majority of successful Cambridge students have 3 sciences which is what I think you're referring to but correlation =/= causation. It is just a trend that the more successful candidates take 3 sciences (maths, biology, chemistry, physics) not the reason why they are successful.

I think only offering two sciences would put you at a significant disadvantage for cambridge.

OP probably doesn't want to apply there anyway, and their choices are of course fine for everywhere else, I was just ensuring they had complete information.
I think only offering two sciences would put you at a significant disadvantage for cambridge.

OP probably doesn't want to apply there anyway, and their choices are of course fine for everywhere else, I was just ensuring they had complete information.

There are a few colleges which require you to take 3 or more sciences as the basic entry requirement so my reply doesn't include those.

98% of successful applicants have 3 or more sciences for medicine which means 2% did less than 3. This number is minute (yet shows it is still possible) as a direct result from the "more able" candidates taking 3 or more sciences which is why people often mistake that to be successful, you need 3 or more sciences. But at colleges where you don't need 3 sciences (just Biology and Chemistry), it does not disadvantage you from other candidates who have 3+, provided you have strong AS UMS marks in the subjects you did take.

(Btw I take 3 sciences and took 4 at AS so I emailed them to find out whether dropping one would disadvantage me and they replied along those lines^.)

Just tagging in @Sheffield Hallam University and
University Centre Hastings
x
and

Hi @applesandalevels

You should certainly be able to apply to some medical schools with A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Politics but the best advice would be to contact the ones you are interested in directly to find out how your choice of qualifications may affect your chance of getting a place.

Phil

I know, what I meant was that Russell group uni's want a maths(y) (so that could be either physics or maths - I did do my research) subject - so the choices mentioned would not get a medicine course unless there were some other circumstances or something
(edited 6 years ago)
I know, what I meant was that Russell group uni's want a maths(y) (so that could be either physics or maths - I did do my research) subject - so the choices mentioned would not get a medicine course unless there were some other circumstances or something

I don't think this is correct.

I don't believe this is true. No university- Russel group or not- say maths/physics is compulsory to study medicine. The only subjects which are compulsory are Chemistry (in all ) and Biology (in some).
I don't believe this is true. No university- Russel group or not- say maths/physics is compulsory to study medicine. The only subjects which are compulsory are Chemistry (in all ) and Biology (in some).

This (https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/)clearly states Chemistry is necessary and at least two of Biology/Physics/Maths - I only looked up Cambridge but I am certain that there would be more with those requirements. Admittedly, most as for chemistry and one other science.
I don't think this is correct.

This (https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...o-be-a-doctor/)clearly states Chemistry is necessary and at least two of Biology/Physics/Maths - I only looked up Cambridge but I am certain that there would be more with those requirements. Admittedly, most as for chemistry and one other science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending