The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Health & Human Sciences

Hi,

I'm currently stuck as to whether apply for this course or not! All my other choices are anthropology based, but due to my A levels, I'm unable to apply for straight anthropology at Durham.

I understand the Human Sciences course (which would suite me more) has finished so I'm left to decide whether to apply for this or not.

Anyone got any further information on it? Is anyone here actually doing it?
Reply 1
Original post by Blazor
Hi,

I'm currently stuck as to whether apply for this course or not! All my other choices are anthropology based, but due to my A levels, I'm unable to apply for straight anthropology at Durham.

I understand the Human Sciences course (which would suite me more) has finished so I'm left to decide whether to apply for this or not.

what's 'wrong' with your A levels?
I've heard good things about it - it's really flexible so you study some of social, biological and medical anth in 1st year which sounds great.

Obviously though it's at Stockton whereas the BA Anth course is in Durham city, would you mind being in Stockton?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by angelmxxx
what's 'wrong' with your A levels?
I've heard good things about it - it's really flexible so you study some of social, biological and medical anth in 1st year which sounds great.

Obviously though it's at Stockton whereas the BA Anth course is in Durham city, would you mind being in Stockton?

There's nothing 'wrong' with my A levels, it's just I got BBB instead of the expected AAB! Also, after sending emails to the anthropology faculty they advised against applying for the anthro courses as they're super-competitive :frown:

I do like the flexibility but I'm worried I'd be too keen on the social anthropology side of things and really dislike the other parts. Are you on the course/applying for it?

Also, at first I was quite annoyed that it wasn't in Durham city, but I can't really see it making much difference to me really. The state-of-the-art facilities outweigh the 'old building' factor for me. Also, it doesn't really matter how buildings look, you soon get over the fact they look a certain way and stop taking notice of them!

What worries me more than anything is the social side of things. I've grown up in a pretty sheltered town where everyone knows everyone and in a way, I'd quite like to be out of my comfort zone in a city. However, the Durham collegiate system appeals to me so much which is why I'm really looking to apply there!
Reply 3
Original post by Blazor
There's nothing 'wrong' with my A levels, it's just I got BBB instead of the expected AAB! Also, after sending emails to the anthropology faculty they advised against applying for the anthro courses as they're super-competitive :frown:

I do like the flexibility but I'm worried I'd be too keen on the social anthropology side of things and really dislike the other parts. Are you on the course/applying for it?

Also, at first I was quite annoyed that it wasn't in Durham city, but I can't really see it making much difference to me really. The state-of-the-art facilities outweigh the 'old building' factor for me. Also, it doesn't really matter how buildings look, you soon get over the fact they look a certain way and stop taking notice of them!

What worries me more than anything is the social side of things. I've grown up in a pretty sheltered town where everyone knows everyone and in a way, I'd quite like to be out of my comfort zone in a city. However, the Durham collegiate system appeals to me so much which is why I'm really looking to apply there!

Oh right, I thought you meant you had unsuitable subjects or something and was interested as I didn't think they specified subjects!

No I'm not on the human sciences course, but I did an Anth module in Durham last year and I'm doing a Level 2 Anth module in Durham (city) this year too.

It's more about location/feel than the buildings - Stockton is a small campus near Stockton (obviously) but not actually in the town - you can't get to the shops or out anywhere without a bus/car/taxi, whereas a lot of people are attracted to Durham (city) because you can literally walk everywhere - you can't go on a college bar crawl in Stockton as there's only one bar, in the middle of campus, so if you turn up expecting to be able to go on Bailey bar crawls or something it's obviously not great. Doesn't mean Stockton's bad, just something for you to consider :smile:

A surprising number of Queen's students live in Durham in their 2nd/3rd years - would depend on your friends and timetable and costs if you could do that, but it is an option if you wanted to live in an (albeit small!) city. However don't go expecting that you could do this because it's not ridiculously common, but I know quite a lot of people who do it so it can be done!

Anyway, I think the best thing for you to do is to go on www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook and find 'Anthropology' in the first drop down box, then select the degree and you can have a look at the modules you can choose from and how strict the regulations are.

Then apply! :smile: (if you like the look of the course!) and then definitely definitely visit Queen's campus before you make your decisions!
Reply 4
I've just had a look at the course and it really doesn't seem very focused on social anth - http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/b991.pdf

Year 1 seems quite social anth focused but year 2 is pretty much all bio/medical.

Sorry! :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I've just had a look at the course and it really doesn't seem very focused on social anth - http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/b991.pdf

Year 1 seems quite social anth focused but year 2 is pretty much all bio/medical.

Sorry! :frown:

Yea, that's what has put me off :frown:

I actually asked several times about the human sciences course, but it's not running this year :frown: It looks like a great course!

I guess i'm going to have a re-think. It's either apply elsewhere or use the normal anthropology course (with sociology because that's ABB) as a wildcard choice!

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for all your help though, it's been much appreciated :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Blazor
Yea, that's what has put me off :frown:

I actually asked several times about the human sciences course, but it's not running this year :frown: It looks like a great course!

I guess i'm going to have a re-think. It's either apply elsewhere or use the normal anthropology course (with sociology because that's ABB) as a wildcard choice!

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for all your help though, it's been much appreciated :smile:

Is there no way you could retake an A level?
If not and you have backup choices, anth+soc wildcard could be a good idea, especially if your PS is geared towards social anth :smile:
Reply 7
Is there no way you could retake an A level?
If not and you have backup choices, anth+soc wildcard could be a good idea, especially if your PS is geared towards social anth :smile:

I could retake an A level, but I'm ready to move on from school now. What i've got, i've got, I don't really see the point in chasing grades. Also, I've already got my gap year planned out and there isn't any time for resits!

My PS is so geared towards social anthropology it's unbelievable haha. I think i'm going to give anth+soc a go. At the moment i'm really struggling for a fifth and final choice. All my other choices are fairly safe and I don't really have a "long shot" choice at the moment.

I think aswell I'll just leave my application open and not choose a college. For some reason, I think that's a way of justifying it myself. If I get in it's a bonus, if not, I never read into it that much to truly set my heart on it :smile:
Hi
I did Biological Anthropology down in Stockton. I hated first year because it was way to social anth based. However because the course gets broken up into 3 degree courses in 2nd year you get a lot of freedom. In 1st year you get 2 social anth courses, 2 bio anth, 1 medical and 1 research methods. In 2nd year there are a ton more choices depending on which route you follow the majority take on social anth whilst only a handful take on medical and bio anth (I did it because I wanted a BSc, and i found bio anth far more interesting.) In 3rd year the choice gets even bigger as you can take Durham Anth modules which are also quite diverse.

I spent my first 2 years in Stockton then in third year me and a group of friends (3 other anthropologists and a biomed) moved to the viaduct in Durham.
First my time in Stockton, 1st year I was in Residential housing with other 1st year students because there wasn't anymore room in halls, it wasn't too bad except my fellow housemate turned out to be a raging psycho towards the exam period. As far as I know this system of housing doesn't exist as the uni has bought rooms in the Mezzino which is just halls with some 1st yr, 2nd yr and 3rd yr students. Stockton campus is well within walking distance from shops and what not about 10- 15 mins from halls. Plus if your really desperate to go to Durham its about 40mins on the bus but honestly your not missing much. I'd say both towns are equally as dull.
Stocky (as it is affectionately called by some of my friends) is a bit grim I won't lie, I didn't hate it as much as some of my peers but I didn't love it either. The locals are a lot nicer than Durham locals though. I would argue that the shops are slightly better.
Having said all of that my third year in Durham was by far my best year at university ever! We took all Durham anth subjects except for one which was a compulsory module based in stockton. We felt like part of the Durham uni community and we did make some really good friends up there. The night life sucks on both ends like really they are terrible. Middlesbrough is a hotspot in stocky and its shopping centres are great only £1 and 5mins on a train. Whilst its still possible to hit Klute, Hound (planet of Sound), Revolver, and Studio on fridays and saturdays and your still able to get back on the 2am bus although that is a bit of a burden. I hear they are extending the bus times on wednesdays.
I would say really look at the module list as it becomes more and more flexible as the years go on. So are your living arrangements. Plus I personally preferred the Stockton campus buildings as they were newer felt cleaner and nicer to be in. However nothing beats a view of the Castle and the Cathedral.
Reply 9
Original post by Blazor
Hi,

Hi, sorry this isn’t an answer to your question but i’ve applied for this course and i have been accepted, it was a last minute decision before i sent off my ucas and to be totally honest i don’t know what jobs this would open up for me in the future and i worry it might be quite science based in which i was never very good at in secondary school although i passed all those exams, i’d like some advice if you are knowledgeable on this, thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by fall0n89
Hi, sorry this isn’t an answer to your question but i’ve applied for this course and i have been accepted, it was a last minute decision before i sent off my ucas and to be totally honest i don’t know what jobs this would open up for me in the future and i worry it might be quite science based in which i was never very good at in secondary school although i passed all those exams, i’d like some advice if you are knowledgeable on this, thanks in advance:smile:

hey I’ve also got an offer for this course looking at the modules it looks less science based and more anthropological in my opinion and the modules sound really interesting with chances for field trips as well. What other courses did you apply for ?

Quick Reply

Latest