The Student Room Group

Politics A Level

It politics a good choice for an a level? To universities see it as weak? Will it help me in the future ? Would it be helpful to take along side history ? Is it just a waste of time ??
I do Politics A2 (old spec) and have offers from top unis, so they don't see it as weak :smile: (and I take it alongside History). Take it if you want to take it
Reply 2
Original post by icelolly123
It politics a good choice for an a level? To universities see it as weak? Will it help me in the future ? Would it be helpful to take along side history ? Is it just a waste of time ??

I did it a few years ago so my answers might be a smidge dated but;
Its good so long as you're interested in the subject
No they do not, at least I have never heard of anyone considering it 'weak'
The A-level, not especially. It is the same as any other essay subject in the grand scheme i.e. its a solid subject you can get a good grade in. If you mean in terms of getting you into Uni its fairly good yes.
Err depends on the syllabuses there is a possibility but in a general sense, nope. They're fairly unrelated at this level [again depending on syllabus]
If you dont enjoy learning about it, yes. If you do enjoy it its valuable especially if you want to take the knowledge further, i'm about to start my Masters in it so draw your own conclusions :smile:
Original post by SuperHuman98
I do Politics A2 (old spec) and have offers from top unis, so they don't see it as weak :smile: (and I take it alongside History). Take it if you want to take it

I'm interested in doing both history and politics for a level alongside psychology and maybe English lit.
How are you finding history and politics?
Original post by mxhfoozxh
I'm interested in doing both history and politics for a level alongside psychology and maybe English lit.

a lot of things to remember. and with the textbooks for politics already outdated by a few years, you can imagine the pain we're going through. I rather do maths or physics tbh :tongue:
Original post by mxhfoozxh

History:
I enjoyed the content at AS (USA 1917-94) and Apartheid South Africa. While I did Modern USA history for GCSE I felt like despite doing modern usa again I was learning about a lot of new things :smile:. In terms of essays and source essays just make sure you are doing what the teachers tell you to when it comes to feedback, and also revist the textbook more than once because you start to understand things more efficiently the more you work on it :smile:.

A2 History is awesome, I really enjoy the coursework and learning about Tudors. Maybe I prefer early modern/Medieval history more xD.

Politics:
I am Oldspec while you will be new spec so I can't say as much. Politics is generally meant to be easier than history. I found a lot of politics to be just practicing the question styles as much as possible, knowing exam structure and being up to date with examples as that helps consolidate your knowledge and you use it in examples.
Also with google up to date examples are easy to get
Reply 6
How do you find examples? I am doing global politics (4D) and cant find a single website to look at examples, instead i have to constantly search around
Original post by scpfcib
How do you find examples? I am doing global politics (4D) and cant find a single website to look at examples, instead i have to constantly search around

I am doing USA politics, which I guess is easier because you just search up what Trump,Congress and Supremecourt do. Also easy to get lots of things about elections,political parties etc.
I am doing USA politics, which I guess is easier because you just search up what Trump,Congress and Supremecourt do. Also easy to get lots of things about elections,political parties etc.

you said you are doing old spec for edexcel politics? isn't next year the final chance to sit for it before the new spec takes shape? will next year be your first time sitting for the paper or are you resitting it?
Original post by Audrey18
you said you are doing old spec for edexcel politics? isn't next year the final chance to sit for it before the new spec takes shape? will next year be your first time sitting for the paper or are you resitting it?

I am sitting it in June, I think this is the last year. And then next year is for resits
I am sitting it in June, I think this is the last year. And then next year is for resits

quick constitution question. i would like to hear your thoughts on this.

what are the conditions that a candidate must satisfy in order to be taken seriously when wanting to partake in presidential elections?

age, party partisan and what else?
Original post by Audrey18
quick constitution question. i would like to hear your thoughts on this.

what are the conditions that a candidate must satisfy in order to be taken seriously when wanting to partake in presidential elections?

age, party partisan and what else?

They must be a US citizen :smile:
They must be a US citizen :smile:

can you give us some US constitution questions and we can all contribute by giving bullet point answers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending