The Student Room Group

Why is colluding good in a monopoly?

Can anyone list any advantages of colluding?

Scroll to see replies

In a monopoly there is only one firm so collusion is neither necessary nor possible.
Reply 2
Original post by Mathematising
In a monopoly there is only one firm so collusion is neither necessary nor possible.

So I'm guessing it would be wrong for me to write in my essay that a monopoly is not harmful to markets because colluding happens? I don't know what else to write. It's my last point and I'm out of ideas. I'm not that great with economics.
Reply 3
Have you ever played the monopoly board game? Those who collude always win.

But in reality, only oligopolies can collude
I'm not sure it really makes sense - you could say that monopolies aren't much worse than oligopolies (where there are only a few sellers) because in an oligopoly the firms collude and become almost a monopoly as a result? You're going to struggle to find a lot of ways in which a monopoly isn't harmful to markets - you could say that it allows companies to grow larger and benefit from economies of scale (increasing productive efficiency as average costs fall).
Reply 5
I'm not sure it really makes sense - you could say that monopolies aren't much worse than oligopolies (where there are only a few sellers) because in an oligopoly the firms collude and become almost a monopoly as a result? You're going to struggle to find a lot of ways in which a monopoly isn't harmful to markets - you could say that it allows companies to grow larger and benefit from economies of scale (increasing productive efficiency as average costs fall).

Thanks so much! In your opinion, do you think that a monopoly can be harmful to markets? I don't know if I should agree with the statement or diagree for my conclusion.
Reply 6
Original post by Zxyn
Have you ever played the monopoly board game? Those who collude always win.

But in reality, only oligopolies can collude

That's a good example! I never thought of it like that. Thanks!
Original post by badmathkid
Thanks so much! In your opinion, do you think that a monopoly can be harmful to markets? I don't know if I should agree with the statement or diagree for my conclusion.

No worries :smile:

If the question is just whether a monopoly *can* be harmful then you'll find it much easier to argue that it can.
Reply 8
No worries :smile:

If the question is just whether a monopoly *can* be harmful then you'll find it much easier to argue that it can.

Well this is the questions:

"To what extent do you agree that a monopoly is seen to be harmful to markets?"

I was told to write 3 positives and 3 negatives. I've written 3 negatives so far and 2 positives and need one more positive. I'm not sure how to write my conclusion as I was told to put the best point in the conclusion but I read somewhere that you should not introduce any new ideas in a conclusion. Any advice on that? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first essay.
I'd agree you shouldn't be introducing new things in your conclusion but you should elaborate on something which you think in particular gives one side of the argument an advantage over the other.
I'd agree you shouldn't be introducing new things in your conclusion but you should elaborate on something which you think in particular gives one side of the argument an advantage over the other.

I'll try that out. Thank you so much! :biggrin:
No problem! Now quit working on Christmas Day!
No problem! Now quit working on Christmas Day!

Haha, of course! I'll start again tomorrow. :biggrin:
Thanks again!
Reply 13
Note that, in accordance with the laws of the UK, a company is said to have 'monopoly' power when their market share exceeds 25% - so, technically, you could talk about collusion between monopolies - but would have to clarify that you are not referring to 'true' or natural monopolies - rather ones as defined in law.
Original post by ns_2
Note that, in accordance with the laws of the UK, a company is said to have 'monopoly' power when their market share exceeds 25% - so, technically, you could talk about collusion between monopolies - but would have to clarify that you are not referring to 'true' or natural monopolies - rather ones as defined in law.

So in monopoly power, there is collusion. I've been told that collusion reduces existing competition and makes them a stronger monopoly. But a bad thing about collusion is that consumers are being exploited and reduces their welfare. But it allows them to make supernormal profits. Is this okay to write for a positive?
Reply 15
So in monopoly power, there is collusion. I've been told that collusion reduces existing competition and makes them a stronger monopoly. But a bad thing about collusion is that consumers are being exploited and reduces their welfare. But it allows them to make supernormal profits. Is this okay to write for a positive?

It is an old example but still works - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7132108.stm

"Supermarket firms Sainsbury's and Asda have admitted that they were part of a dairy price-fixing group that earned about £270m extra from shoppers. The supermarkets, along with a number of dairy firms, have agreed to pay fines totalling some £116m after an Office of Fair Trading (OFT) probe.Cases against Tesco and Morrisons will continue after no deal was struck. The OFT said that in-store prices went up after the collusion, but the amount received by farmers did not increase.However, the firms insist that the farm gate price paid for milk did rise and that they were not ripping off customers.
The OFT said the collusion saw customers being charged 3 pence extra for a pint of milk, 15p extra per quarter-pound of butter and 15p per half-pound of cheese, the watchdog said."

Collusion between monopolies creates a de facto stronger, more influential monopoly - that can more strongly manipulate suppliers as detailed in the above article.
Original post by ns_2
It is an old example but still works - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7132108.stm

"Supermarket firms Sainsbury's and Asda have admitted that they were part of a dairy price-fixing group that earned about £270m extra from shoppers. The supermarkets, along with a number of dairy firms, have agreed to pay fines totalling some £116m after an Office of Fair Trading (OFT) probe.Cases against Tesco and Morrisons will continue after no deal was struck. The OFT said that in-store prices went up after the collusion, but the amount received by farmers did not increase.However, the firms insist that the farm gate price paid for milk did rise and that they were not ripping off customers.
The OFT said the collusion saw customers being charged 3 pence extra for a pint of milk, 15p extra per quarter-pound of butter and 15p per half-pound of cheese, the watchdog said."

Collusion between monopolies creates a de facto stronger, more influential monopoly - that can more strongly manipulate suppliers as detailed in the above article.

I like it, I'll use that example in there if that's alright. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 17
I like it, I'll use that example in there if that's alright. Thank you! :smile:

No problem, and Merry Christmas.
Could collude in the sense of a business colluding with a supply/transport company to ramp up prices and push out other suppliers/businesses.
Original post by ns_2
No problem, and Merry Christmas.

You too. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest