The Student Room Group

Most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED degrees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by squeakysquirrel
No jobs in law, journalism or publishing; academia very poorly paid and not that easy to get jobs in. Civil service increasingly hard to get into and again poorly paid

If you're good enough, there are jobs in law, my sister has just been offered a good one after only a month of searching. Academia usually pays around £30,000 a year, not at all poorly paid in my opinion, I could happily live on that. Civil service is competitive granted, but provided you're intelligent, attend a top uni and are motivated, there will be places available for you, and the rising payscale saw many jobs end up with around £30,000 last I checked, a good wage for most people.

If you just go to university, get absolutely no experience or build contacts, then you're right, with a humanities you're disadvantaged. If you go to a top uni, get great experience and build contacts, you will do fine.

All I want is enough to live on comfortably, I'd rather earn £30,000 and love my job, than £70,000 and hate it. I've grown up around people with great wealth, and have seen that money does not ultinately create happiness.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by simbasdragon
If you're good enough, there are jobs in law, my sister has just been offered a good one after only a month of searching. Academia usually pays around £30,000 a year, not at all poorly paid in my opinion, I could happily live on that. Civil service is competitive granted, but provided you're intelligent, attend a top uni and are motivated, there will be places available for you, and the rising payscale saw many jobs end up with around £30,000 last I checked, a good wage for most people.

If you just go to university, get absolutely no experience or build contacts, then you're right, with a humanities you're disadvantaged. If you go to a top uni, get great experience and build contacts, you will do fine.

All I want is enough to live on comfortably, I'd rather earn £30,000 and love my job, than £70,000 and hate it. I've grown up around people with great wealth, and have seen that money does not ultinately create happiness.

Try living in London on £30k/year.
Reply 262
Original post by simbasdragon
Unless you want to go into law, publishing, journalism, civil sector, academia as a lecturer etc.

Oh yeah, all thriving employment sectors....? :rolleyes:
Reply 263
Original post by blessed107
Is economic good ? I am planning of studying economics and maths

Economics is almost always in the top 5 earning degrees and occasionally comes top once niche subjects are excluded.
Underrated: Languages
Overrated: Medicine
I think plumbing is most underrated.
Try living in London on £30k/year.

I don't want to live in London, I really dislike the place.
I personally think most degrees are overrated. This nonsense that 50% of us have to get a degree has just impoverished many of us. You can now get a degree in nannying from Norlands - WHAT! - . And it is blooming expensive.

My understanding is that it is BA (hons ) early years childhood studies from university of Gloucestershire but delivered at Norlands who also award a diploma
The most underrated degree is theology as the difficulty that has to do with languages(of course proficiency in English in the UK is the basic, but knowing Hebrew, Latin and Greeks and other European languages are a big plus), philosophy, literacy, social sciences including religious studies, archaeology, sociology, history etc.
Understanding moral questions to do with modern society, to the complexity to do with many things such as music, arts and liturgies etc-- to the studies about religions such as Islam in the globalizing world.. or talking about Catholicism, it has different understanding of the doctrine from society to society as for instance how the Easterners take positive theology on the immaculate conception while westerners take negative theology into their hearts.. tell me that it is not underrated, you may not be a fool but completely ignorant about the natures of other subjects other than your field!
Ps. I am not doing theology but many of my friends are theologians in Durham.
(edited 6 years ago)
I was verbally informed that one of the most underrated degrees is (heavy) electrical engineering. Only a few thousand students study this every year.
Original post by Princepieman
Any reasonable (i.e. not knitting studies) degree is good, what's more important is you: the skills, qualities, experience that you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Old post I know but

You’d be amazed at the size and diversity of the knitting industry in the uk. There’s entire library archives devoted to knitting patterns and fabric development and new knitting techniques (manual and mechanical) are highly sought after.
Original post by august12123
The most underrated degree is theology as the difficulty that has to do with languages(of course proficiency in English in the UK is the basic, but knowing Hebrew, Latin and Greeks and other European languages are a big plus), philosophy, literacy, social sciences including religious studies, archaeology, sociology, history etc.
Understanding moral questions to do with modern society, to the complexity to do with many things such as music, arts and liturgies etc-- to the studies about religions such as Islam in the globalizing world.. or talking about Catholicism, it has different understanding of the doctrine from society to society as for instance how the Easterners take positive theology on the immaculate conception while westerners take negative theology into their hearts.. tell me that it is not underrated, you may not be a fool but completely ignorant about the natures of other subjects other than your field!
Ps. I am not doing theology but many of my friends are theologians in Durham.

I actually met a lecturer of theology at Durham, he was a pretty cool dude.
Original post by PQ
Old post I know but

You’d be amazed at the size and diversity of the knitting industry in the uk. There’s entire library archives devoted to knitting patterns and fabric development and new knitting techniques (manual and mechanical) are highly sought after.

Woah, learn something new every day!
foreign language degrees are underrated
Original post by entertainmyfaith
foreign language degrees are underrated

Why tho? They are fairly useless as everyone speaks english anyways, and I'll be damned if I go to live anywhere but the UK or the US
Original post by tinycharlie
Why tho? They are fairly useless as everyone speaks english anyways, and I'll be damned if I go to live anywhere but the UK or the US

media, publishing, business, teaching english in foreign countries pays well...
and i just think learning a language to degree level is impressive to me.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
media, publishing, business, teaching english in foreign countries pays well...
and i just think learning a language to degree level is impressive to me.

Why is it impressive? You spend 4 years and thousands of pounds to learn the language, how is it impressive? I'd be impressed if someone taught themselves, but a foreign language degree in itself provides next to no value unless you want to move abroad, and even in places abroad most large international companies conduct all their business in English. And unless you learn arabic and move to Dubai and work in 50C+ weather, you'd be making less money than compared with living in the UK or US, and in my opinion massive drop in life quality.
Original post by AmmarTa
I actually met a lecturer of theology at Durham, he was a pretty cool dude.

In fact, many lecturers there are cool. Many are very outspoken and have a completely different style comparing to other departments/universities' lecturers. Not simply the lecturers and professors, but many students I have met there are smarter, more cultured and have a better non-conformist style of thinking than other groups even by comparing to some PPE students I have encountered.... Of course, personal experience can be biased but no doubt that they, in general, are one of the best group... The level of intelligence and cultural knowledge is....amazing!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 278
Original post by midgemeister7
Underrated: Economics. If you don't agree, you're an idiot. Economics is the master race and anything else is not worth studying.

^^^
Apart from last part.

Only subjects worth doing for Degree are Maths, STEM(I know it includes Maths, but the science part is also worth doing) and Economics.
Original post by Meninism
I am predicted four A*s and am applying soon, I want to do STEM.

I believe Computer Science is the most underrated degree

I was considering applying for Medicine and I have work experience there but after doing a lot of research I think it looks overrated so not sure if I will apply, from my experience with family members in hospital/talking to doctors etc. the NHS can be a very cliquey bullying environment. As it is the most prestigious degree and most people want to do it or are jealous of medical students it is possibly the most overrated (IMHO)

This thread is subjective before the usual trolls come on but give your reasons why you think certain subjects are over/underrated

What did you end up doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending