The Student Room Group

My PC suddenly turned off and won't turn back on

I was just using my computer earlier and it suddenly turned off (no 'shutting down' or anything - just the screen went black. I tried to turn it back on but I can't. I have tried it in a different plug socket but that did nothing. There are no lights turned on, even though there normally is. This isn't as simple as I would hope as it is an all-in-one PC, so I cannot just open up the case to see what is wrong.

It runs Windows 10 and hasn't been acting strangely before hand. It is a couple of years old.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My first port of call for something like that'd be the PSU.
Original post by gjd800
My first port of call for something like that'd be the PSU.

Yeah, but I can't really check by swapping in a new one to see if it works with that.
Reply 3
Right, so what advice would you like?
Original post by gjd800
Right, so what advice would you like?

I don't know xD Just something that will help me fix it. Thanks for your help anyways
Have you checked the fuse OP? :sad:
Original post by Bill Nye
Yeah, but I can't really check by swapping in a new one to see if it works with that.

Having every switched off for about half an hour and then come back to it and switch it back on from scratch, if that doesn’t work then you either need to get in contact with the manufactures or take it back to the shop you bought it from (Curry’s and PC world have their own repair service for example if you bought it from there) or if you made if yourself then swapping in a new power supply would be the first port of call because like the commenter above said the PSU is likely to be the issue.
Original post by CrazyPantha27
Having every switched off for about half an hour and then come back to it and switch it back on from scratch, if that doesn’t work then you either need to get in contact with the manufactures or take it back to the shop you bought it from (Curry’s and PC world have their own repair service for example if you bought it from there) or if you made if yourself then swapping in a new power supply would be the first port of call because like the commenter above said the PSU is likely to be the issue.

When it first happened I unplugged it from the mains, and a while later nothing changed when I plugged it back in. It is a HP computer. My Dad got it from John Lewis with my money from my savings account - they won't be of any use. I doubt HP will do anything about it - it is a few years old. They would likely say it was either my fault, or that they have no legal responsibility to help.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bulletzone
Have you checked the fuse OP? :sad:

No, do you know how I would go about doing that?
When it first happened I unplugged it from the mains, and a while later nothing changed when I plugged it back in. It is a HP computer. My Dad got it from John Lewis with my money from my savings account - they won't be of any use. I doubt HP will do anything about it - it is a few years old. They would likely say it was either my fault, or that they have no legal responsibility to help.

I’d try contacting HP, be a bit of a pain in the ass but they would be the best ones to fix it as they did make it after all. Does it have any kind of warrantee or insurance with anyone? If HP doesn’t work I’d try taking it to a repair shop nearby and see if they can find any issues.
Original post by CrazyPantha27
I’d try contacting HP, be a bit of a pain in the ass but they would be the best ones to fix it as they did make it after all. Does it have any kind of warrantee or insurance with anyone? If HP doesn’t work I’d try taking it to a repair shop nearby and see if they can find any issues.

I'm not sure but even if it did have warranty, it would have almost certainly run out by now. Thanks :smile:
Reply 11

John Lewis are brilliant with warranty! If not contact HP, how long have you had the computer for?
I was just using my computer earlier and it suddenly turned off (no 'shutting down' or anything - just the screen went black. I tried to turn it back on but I can't. I have tried it in a different plug socket but that did nothing. There are no lights turned on, even though there normally is. This isn't as simple as I would hope as it is an all-in-one PC, so I cannot just open up the case to see what is wrong.

It runs Windows 10 and hasn't been acting strangely before hand. It is a couple of years old.

Have you tried turning it on and back off again?
Original post by fefssdf
Have you tried turning it on and back off again?

Best joke of 2018
Reply 14
It could be a motherboard capacitor problem, (blown up capacitor etc).
Original post by Zxyn
John Lewis are brilliant with warranty! If not contact HP, how long have you had the computer for?

2/3 years (not too sure)
Reply 16
Most likely fuse in the plug or a PSU.

Do you have any other power leads you could test with?

Since it’s an all in one, do you still have a warranty for it? Will be a ballsache to send the whole thing off but may be necessary.

It is most likely that your power supply has overheated, maybe due to the fan not working properly, I doubt it is anything to do with a lack of power supply since you said it was an all in one, unless you have made any adaptions to it such as new graphics cards. Have you added any new hardware to the computer at all recently? Even USB devices?

Or another possible option is that the components inside the case were overheating as a whole, maybe the inside of the case collected a lot of dust/hair etc if you keep it low to the ground, which restricted fans and/or air flow? Have you heard any strange sounds or increased fan noise from inside the case??

Other issues could include you using a UPS (try not using it if you do), you may have some sort of virus (although this wouldnt mean that you’re computer wouldn’t turn back on), or your operating system is malfunctioning (again, wouldn’t stop it turning back on).

Any additional information you can provide on the issue??
Original post by Reue
Most likely fuse in the plug or a PSU.

Do you have any other power leads you could test with?

Nah I dont, It it would probably cost me a good 10-20 quid to get one :P :frown:
Reply 19
Nah I dont, It it would probably cost me a good 10-20 quid to get one :P :frown:

Is it a normal kettle lead? They cost like a quid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending