The Student Room Group

Graduation ball with no friend group

xx
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
I would explain exactly what you have said here and say how you feel to your friend. You are allowing yourself to be 'vulnerable' and most people with any kind of a heart would scoop you up and look after you as part of their group. If your friend says 'well come with me' you have an open invitation to go. Go on, just go and have a good time.

Take every opportunity to join these celebrations. Even though they are not your own. Every door that opens - grab the door with both hands. You just never who you might meet, or what opportunities might suddenly turn up. Go and let your hair down. Just go and be happy for those that have gone through the meat grinder. Your turn will come (& you might be inviting them all back again when it does)
Original post by jms2000
Hello! I left uni last summer, however have not graduated yet due to some family circumstance. I am graduating this year.

I have a few disparate friends left who I can graduate with but no real group of people. I found out from a friend who’s graduating that there’s a grad ball on the Saturday. I feel that I’d regret not going but as I say, don’t have a group to go with.

Would it seem sad/weird to ask if I can go with him and his friend group? I don’t know his friends so I’m unsure if he’d feel it would be awkward? I would like to go but I’m not going by myself.

Hello @jms2000,
I would encourage you to ask to go with your friend. As you said you don't want to regret not knowing and there is no harm in asking to tag along.
You have come a long way studying your degree and now that your graduating you deserve to celebrate it! Yes, it may be daunting to go not knowing many people but you are unlikely to be the only one in that situation and usually grad balls are a good social and about celebrating and having a good time.
Congratulations on graduating and fingers crossed you get to celebrate it.
Catherine - Strathclyde University Student Ambassador
Original post by jms2000
Hello! I left uni last summer, however have not graduated yet due to some family circumstance. I am graduating this year.

I have a few disparate friends left who I can graduate with but no real group of people. I found out from a friend who’s graduating that there’s a grad ball on the Saturday. I feel that I’d regret not going but as I say, don’t have a group to go with.

Would it seem sad/weird to ask if I can go with him and his friend group? I don’t know his friends so I’m unsure if he’d feel it would be awkward? I would like to go but I’m not going by myself.

Hi,

As a recent graduate I would 100% say go for it, ask your friend if you can go with him and his friendship group - if he's told you about it I'm sure he won't mind you going with him. There will likely be other grads who are by themselves too - I attended my graduation on my own and I got chatting to some of my course mates. It wasn't awkard as everyone was typically in a good mood as they were happy to be graduating.

You have nothing to lose by asking so go and enjoy yourself :smile:

Congratulations on graduating, enjoy your graduate ball!
T
Original post by jms2000

Hey there, congratulations on graduating!

I would definitely say to ask if you can go with your friend. It seems unlikely that your friend will say no, so it is definitely worth asking and you have nothing to lose. You deserve to celebrate graduating from your degree and you will probably have a really good time, even if you did go alone!

It is quite common for people to attend these events without a solid group of friends. At my law ball, I got seated with my course friends as well as other people I didn't know, and it didn't matter, and in fact it was nice to speak to new people, so I'm sure it wouldn't be awkward for you or anybody else at all.

I hope this helps, and if you decide to go, I hope you have a great time.

Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending