The Student Room Group

Biology Olympiad 2018

I haven't seen any threads for this years Biology Olympiad, so I thought I should start one. The exams are in January, so one month to go now! How are people preparing for them? And of course good luck to all who enter :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ddraigdwr2
I haven't seen any threads for this years Biology Olympiad, so I thought I should start one. The exams are in January, so one month to go now! How are people preparing for them? And of course good luck to all who enter :smile:

Actually got so little time especially with school exams as well. And I'm in year 12 so I'd be happy with anything. How realistic is to get a gold at this level I mean?
Reply 3

When your college is taking this exam?
I've printed off a couple of past papers but I'm just going to recap everything I've done and make sure my knowledge is good by watching biology YouTube videos e.g. Sci Show etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Qer
When your college is taking this exam?

We haven't set a date yet because there's only two of us taking it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by OrangeArcher
I've printed off a couple of past papers but I'm just going to recap everything I've done and make sure my knowledge is good by watching biology YouTube videos e.g. Sci Show etc.

Where've you got past papers from? Are you using IBO Ines? I could only find one BBO paper!
Reply 7
We haven't set a date yet because there's only two of us taking it :smile:

In my college, me and my friend are doing that we are supposed to do it on Wednesday
Where've you got past papers from? Are you using IBO Ines? I could only find one BBO paper!

I don't know what papers they are, but I know they aren't BBO ones.
Reply 9
Does this require A level knowledge, if so to what extent? Hopefully there are loads of mathsy questions or stuff I can work out bc im not learning the entire syllabus in a week
Original post by jefffrey
Does this require A level knowledge, if so to what extent? Hopefully there are loads of mathsy questions or stuff I can work out bc im not learning the entire syllabus in a week

If you search on line then there is a specification for the exam - through looking at that, and the specimen paper, I don't think it will be very mathsy I'm afraid. Yes it is mostly A level knowledge :smile:
So what's every one aiming for? I'd happy with a bronze if I get one
What are the grade boundaries?
Original post by A.Person
So what's every one aiming for? I'd happy with a bronze if I get one
What are the grade boundaries?

I will be happy with anything to be honest! I have no idea about grade boundaries, I've tried to find the online but to no avail :frown: I guess well just have to wait and see! Does anyone know when results are given?
Does anyone know the cut off score for bronze?
Original post by pricklycactus
Does anyone know the cut off score for bronze?

Been trying to find grade boundaries online for ages but alas I don't think they publish them, I think they must change it each year depending on the results of a given paper, especially this year since they changed the papers from one hour to forty five minutes.
Been trying to find grade boundaries online for ages but alas I don't think they publish them, I think they must change it each year depending on the results of a given paper, especially this year since they changed the papers from one hour to forty five minutes.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to wait until they publish the results :smile:
I know some schools have already sat the paper... If anyone has sat the paper could you tell what to revise - nothing too specific. I've been entered alone from school and am completely in the dark on what to revise. I'm also only a year 12 student so I haven't learnt the majority of the syllabus and anything would be useful
Original post by cambayrac
I know some schools have already sat the paper... If anyone has sat the paper could you tell what to revise - nothing too specific. I've been entered alone from school and am completely in the dark on what to revise. I'm also only a year 12 student so I haven't learnt the majority of the syllabus and anything would be useful

Hi, I did both papers on Thursday. I am in year thirteen. I will give this piece of advice - read through the A2 stuff. Quite a lot of it came up I'm afraid. I won't tell you anymore because I don't want to break any rules or anything - good luck!!!
Reply 18
Was any of the specimen paper stuff on there, or like past paper questions
Hi, I did both papers on Thursday. I am in year thirteen. I will give this piece of advice - read through the A2 stuff. Quite a lot of it came up I'm afraid. I won't tell you anymore because I don't want to break any rules or anything - good luck!!!

I'm in year 12 and I've got mine on monday next week, may I ask if nearly everything on the syllabus came up? as I made notes for 3/4 of the syllabus. Also when you said that A2 stuff came up, was it still mentioned on the syllabus. I really want to do well in it so could you kindly tell me what topics in the syllabus I should base my revision on for tomorrow (before monday), thanks x :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending