The Student Room Group

Will maths help with Cambridge Medicine

Hi I'm taking Maths Biology Chemistry Further Maths and want to apply to Medicine. I've heard that Cambridge likes people who take Maths. I've done a few competitions/olympiads and have got the best awards in the school for them and my teachers are registering me for more. Will these benefit my application at all in any way or is there no point mentioning them in the PS or teacher reference? Btw I'm also doing a lot of medicine related things and research.
Probably worth mentioning in brief, but I'd still focus on your medical research/experience
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm taking Maths Biology Chemistry Further Maths and want to apply to Medicine. I've heard that Cambridge likes people who take Maths. I've done a few competitions/olympiads and have got the best awards in the school for them and my teachers are registering me for more. Will these benefit my application at all in any way or is there no point mentioning them in the PS or teacher reference? Btw I'm also doing a lot of medicine related things and research.

If you are sure you will go down the medicine route, I would drop FM, and do more medicine related work experience and extra curricular, ideally including a medicine related EPQ. It might be worth mentioning maths competitions in your PS, but It won't help much, as to get into to Cambridge, your PS needs to be focused on the subject you are applying for.
To achieve a competitive score in interview and the BMAT for Cambridge medicine normally students will have to take 3 STEM subjects and those only taking 2 are statistically much less likely to be successful. So it is useful in that sense but doing more than that isn't really necessary.

Doing supercurricular activities in maths isn't really that relevant to medicine though - you can mention them briefly in terms of reflecting on the experiences and achievements but they're not going to make an offer to someone who did a maths olympiad over someone who didn't for medicine. So if you've nothing of relevance to medicine to say about it there's not much point going into detail.

Bear in mind also you'll be applying to 3 other medical schools and you are best served focusing on what will maximise your chances of getting into medicine at all rather than a singular medical school. Doing more relevant work experience and reflecting on that thoughtfully is far more valuable than doing a bunch of mathematical competitions, as far as admissions goes. Which isn't to say that it's not worth doing those if you would like to do them anyway - but there's no point doing them if your reasoning is purely because you think it'll get you "bonus points" when applying, as it won't.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending