The Student Room Group

I. NEED. HELP! don't know what A level to choose!!

I choose A-level chemistry and Biology... I need one more, and i don't know what a level is right for me; MATHS OR PHYSCS??! I'm good at both of them and enjoy them... The college that I'm applying only offers 3 A levels.

I'm struggling to choose. Maths or Physics?!
Original post by Gloriousnerd
I choose A-level chemistry and Biology... I need one more, and i don't know what a level is right for me; MATHS OR PHYSCS??! I'm good at both of them and enjoy them... The college that I'm applying only offers 3 A levels.

I'm struggling to choose. Maths or Physics?!

A lot of your decision should depend on what you want to do at Uni ~ different courses want different A-Levels to enter.

A personal recommendation from me would be to take maths, just cuz it covers far more uni courses, and will help out with your Bio and Chem. Also, my Sixth Fom recommends (aka will not let you not) you take maths if you take physics, as physics is so reliant on maths, so that may be something to take into consideration.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to drop a message :-)
Original post by Kalo7854
A lot of your decision should depend on what you want to do at Uni ~ different courses want different A-Levels to enter.

A personal recommendation from me would be to take maths, just cuz it covers far more uni courses, and will help out with your Bio and Chem. Also, my Sixth Fom recommends (aka will not let you not) you take maths if you take physics, as physics is so reliant on maths, so that may be something to take into consideration.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to drop a message :-)

Thank you, that helped :^_^: but what if :K: my first career (Medicine) didn't go well and I go into astronomy, would I still have to pick Maths or Physics?
Thank you, that helped :^_^: but what if :K: my first career (Medicine) didn't go well and I go into astronomy, would I still have to pick Maths or Physics?

From a quick glance around (I suspect you'll have to do a little more research than just looking a 3-4 courses like I did though), most astronomy courses at uni ask for you to have taken maths and physics at A-Level (sorry to be the bearer of bad news), so you may have to look around to see which you could apply to, or which routes you could take to reach it.

As for your Plan A, out of Physics and Maths the courses don't seem to have a preference out of them, though (from my sister's experience (2nd Year of Med School), maths is very helpful due to a lot of the calculations etc you have to do.

I also maintain that Physics at A Level is very maths heavy (that's another of my choices), and I certainly think I would struggle more if I didn't take maths alongside it.

Is there a difference in your abilities/predicted grades in maths and physics? (Sorry to ask, but it may be helpful ~ for A Levels I chose subjects I was stronger at, and that makes it a lot easier!)
Original post by Kalo7854
From a quick glance around (I suspect you'll have to do a little more research than just looking a 3-4 courses like I did though), most astronomy courses at uni ask for you to have taken maths and physics at A-Level (sorry to be the bearer of bad news), so you may have to look around to see which you could apply to, or which routes you could take to reach it.

As for your Plan A, out of Physics and Maths the courses don't seem to have a preference out of them, though (from my sister's experience (2nd Year of Med School), maths is very helpful due to a lot of the calculations etc you have to do.

I also maintain that Physics at A Level is very maths heavy (that's another of my choices), and I certainly think I would struggle more if I didn't take maths alongside it.

Is there a difference in your abilities/predicted grades in maths and physics? (Sorry to ask, but it may be helpful ~ for A Levels I chose subjects I was stronger at, and that makes it a lot easier!)

I don't exactly know my predicted grade, but base on my first mocks that did in November, for physics I had a grade 6 (5 marks away from a grade 7), and maths a grade 5 (I could have done better on maths if I wasn't so stressed)
I don't exactly know my predicted grade, but base on my first mocks that did in November, for physics I had a grade 6 (5 marks away from a grade 7), and maths a grade 5 (I could have done better on maths if I wasn't so stressed)

Quick first one ~ if you ever want a hand with anything in maths or physics (anything explained etc), just drop a message (maths is my thing, and I'd be happy explaining/helping with anything!).

In th end the decision is down to you though, and which you think you'd enjoy more, studying it over 2 years, as, when you think about it, you will be studying it as 1/3 of all of your subjects, so you'll be spending a lot of time doing it!
Maths will open more courses to you. You can do a Maths degree without physics but you can't do physics without Maths. Maths is often a requirement for a lot of degrees and not having Maths will close doors. For example I did economics which you can do without A Level Economics but you need Maths
Reply 8
I agree with Skyewoods, maths would be a better option
ok, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest