The Student Room Group

I need help with what I can study to university

Hi

I am going to go to college in 2 years and i want to study uniformed service. But don't know what to do/ study at university
If you know what I can study or what subject that I can choose from that I can do at university that will help me soo much. Thank.
Original post by Scottishperson
Hi

I am going to go to college in 2 years and i want to study uniformed service. But don't know what to do/ study at university
If you know what I can study or what subject that I can choose from that I can do at university that will help me soo much. Thank.

Two questions:
1. What made you choose "uniformed service"?
2. What do you want to do after university?
It's a course that I want to do at university and after university I want to be a firefighter
It's a course that I want to do at university and after university I want to be a firefighter

I mean I want to do the course at college

I mean I want to do the course at college

OK, understood. Every university course will have a set of entry requirements. Sometimes these requirements are specified in terms of the type of qualification you need (e.g. A levels, a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, etc.), in which case they will also specify the grade you need to have achieved in those qualifications and sometimes the specific subject(s) you need to have studied. At other times they'll simply specify the number of UCAS Tariff points which your qualifications must be worth (in which case, they'll accept a very wide range of qualifications, which are each converted into points). For example, a grade MMM in a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma is worth 96 UCAS Tariff points, the same as three grade Cs at A level.

The reason I mention the above is that it's not clear what qualification you mean by "uniformed service". If you'll be applying to universities which state their entry requirements in terms of specific qualifications, we'd need to know what specific qualification you'll be studying. However, if you'll be applying to universities which state their requirements in terms of UCAS Tariff Points, then the exact qualification doesn't matter - as long as it is earns you UCAS Tariff Points.

For "uniformed service", the two awarding bodies involved are Pearson BTEC and NCFE. BTECs are more well-known and universities often state their entry requirements in terms of BTEC qualifications; it's much less common for universities to specifically mention NCFE qualifications, so if you were taking a NCFE qualification at college, you'd probably be looking at universities which state their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. Also note that both Pearson BTEC and NCFE have many different "sizes" of qualification (Certificate, Diploma, Extended Diploma, etc.). This is important; the largest the size, the more points UCAS points its worth (for the equivalent grade) and so the more appealing it is to universities.

I don't know of any university courses which specifically state that they want you to have a prior qualification in "uniformed service". However many, many, courses state no preference for the subject you've previously studied. They only really care about the grade / points. So, for example, you could apply for:

American and Canadian Studies at The University of Nottingham
Anthropology at Bournemouth University
Ecology and Conservation at University of Brighton
Business and Management at University of Reading
Events Management at University of Plymouth

I've intentionally listed a wide variety of degree subjects to demonstrate that you need to decide what you want to study, and break out of the "what I can study or what subject that I can choose from" mindset which you question suggests. You won't be able to do a medical degree, or veterinary science, or midwifery, or anything with a heaving math/science element - but there are hundreds of other courses to choose from. What interests you?

Note that there is no requirement to have a degree in order to become a firefighter. So there's no need to try to target your degree at a subject which might be useful in that profession. You'd be choosing a degree subject you want to learn about, or which you think might be useful if you do other work alongside firefighting, or perhaps in a second career afterwards.

There are degree courses that are geared towards entering the fire service, such as the following course at UCLAN in Preston:

https://www.uclan.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fire-leadership-studies-bsc
So if I did the uniformed service in college can I still go to the university you told me
So if I did the uniformed service in college can I still go to the university you told me

Correct.
Reply 8
Original post by DataVenia
OK, understood. Every university course will have a set of entry requirements. Sometimes these requirements are specified in terms of the type of qualification you need (e.g. A levels, a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, etc.), in which case they will also specify the grade you need to have achieved in those qualifications and sometimes the specific subject(s) you need to have studied. At other times they'll simply specify the number of UCAS Tariff points which your qualifications must be worth (in which case, they'll accept a very wide range of qualifications, which are each converted into points). For example, a grade MMM in a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma is worth 96 UCAS Tariff points, the same as three grade Cs at A level.

The reason I mention the above is that it's not clear what qualification you mean by "uniformed service". If you'll be applying to universities which state their entry requirements in terms of specific qualifications, we'd need to know what specific qualification you'll be studying. However, if you'll be applying to universities which state their requirements in terms of UCAS Tariff Points, then the exact qualification doesn't matter - as long as it is earns you UCAS Tariff Points.

For "uniformed service", the two awarding bodies involved are Pearson BTEC and NCFE. BTECs are more well-known and universities often state their entry requirements in terms of BTEC qualifications; it's much less common for universities to specifically mention NCFE qualifications, so if you were taking a NCFE qualification at college, you'd probably be looking at universities which state their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. Also note that both Pearson BTEC and NCFE have many different "sizes" of qualification (Certificate, Diploma, Extended Diploma, etc.). This is important; the largest the size, the more points UCAS points its worth (for the equivalent grade) and so the more appealing it is to universities.

I don't know of any university courses which specifically state that they want you to have a prior qualification in "uniformed service". However many, many, courses state no preference for the subject you've previously studied. They only really care about the grade / points. So, for example, you could apply for:

American and Canadian Studies at The University of Nottingham
Anthropology at Bournemouth University
Ecology and Conservation at University of Brighton
Business and Management at University of Reading
Events Management at University of Plymouth

I've intentionally listed a wide variety of degree subjects to demonstrate that you need to decide what you want to study, and break out of the "what I can study or what subject that I can choose from" mindset which you question suggests. You won't be able to do a medical degree, or veterinary science, or midwifery, or anything with a heaving math/science element - but there are hundreds of other courses to choose from. What interests you?

Note that there is no requirement to have a degree in order to become a firefighter. So there's no need to try to target your degree at a subject which might be useful in that profession. You'd be choosing a degree subject you want to learn about, or which you think might be useful if you do other work alongside firefighting, or perhaps in a second career afterwards.

Loving your work!☺️
Original post by Scotney
Loving your work!☺️

Thank you. :colondollar:
Thank you Data venia and normaw you two have help me the most and now I can stop warning about the course and thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Much thank you again
Reply 11

Then go and be a Firefighter.
You dont need a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending