The Student Room Group

Productive year 11 summer for a future Cambridge Student

Scroll to see replies

I'm an offer holder and I spent my summer after y11 binge watching Friends. I spent my summer after y12 working full time in an office to earn money so I can spend part of my summer after y13 on holiday with my friends. I did do plenty of stuff that I put in my personal statement, online courses, science magazine subscriptions and two one day masterclasses at Cambridge but it's more about giving a couple of examples that you can use to demonstrate your passion for the subject. I discussed an article from Scientific American that I found particularly interesting and talked about how my experience at the masterclasses had helped me to decide on whether I wanted to study physics or chemistry and how they inspired me to do some further research into the topics introduced and what I learnt from that. It's the things that I genuinely enjoyed and did throughout the year that I was able to make meaningful statements about in my personal statement.
I did apply to a Sutton Trust summer school but I was never going to get onto that because it's based on how disadvantaged you are and apart from going to a state school and my parents not going to uni I'm quite advantaged.
In summary, if you're truly fascinated by your subject, just do what you enjoy and talk about it honestly. Your passion will show through. (Also, I didn't JUST binge watch Friends, I also read some Brian Cox books and got a little ahead on AS maths).
Original post by LaM19
I'm an offer holder and I spent my summer after y11 binge watching Friends. I spent my summer after y12 working full time in an office to earn money so I can spend part of my summer after y13 on holiday with my friends. I did do plenty of stuff that I put in my personal statement, online courses, science magazine subscriptions and two one day masterclasses at Cambridge but it's more about giving a couple of examples that you can use to demonstrate your passion for the subject. I discussed an article from Scientific American that I found particularly interesting and talked about how my experience at the masterclasses had helped me to decide on whether I wanted to study physics or chemistry and how they inspired me to do some further research into the topics introduced and what I learnt from that. It's the things that I genuinely enjoyed and did throughout the year that I was able to make meaningful statements about in my personal statement.
I did apply to a Sutton Trust summer school but I was never going to get onto that because it's based on how disadvantaged you are and apart from going to a state school and my parents not going to uni I'm quite advantaged.
In summary, if you're truly fascinated by your subject, just do what you enjoy and talk about it honestly. Your passion will show through. (Also, I didn't JUST binge watch Friends, I also read some Brian Cox books and got a little ahead on AS maths).

So you did something productive during your summer. You didn't just binge-watch friends.
Haha.
Year 11 summer had zero productivity whatsoever.
@donnaseemchandra?
I believe you misspelt extreme productivity ?
Original post by erratic_deus
So you did something productive during your summer. You didn't just binge-watch friends.

I'm did a total of maybe 10 hours work during summer and it was all right at the beginning. Most of my other time was spent reading (both science stuff and all the Harry Potter books for about the 50th time). Most of the stuff I listed I did during term time.
But I find doing so little very unsatisfying which is why I worked during my year 12 summer. But then I regretted that too coz there were a couple of online courses that I was meant to do during that summer but ended up having to cram them in once I started back at school (which then jeopardized the revision I was meant to do for the admissions assessment and interview). I'm just glad it all worked out in the end but I did end up with a VERY stressful first term of y13.
Original post by carpetguy
Haha.
Year 11 summer had zero productivity whatsoever.
@donnaseemchandra?

I don't understand
EXAMPLE SUCCESSFUL PHYSICS PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR TRINITY COLLEGE CAMBRIDGE.
Writer of this statement has since graduated with a double 1st (i don't know if this is right but this what i was told) in Physics and Mathematics
Writer of this statement has since graduated with a double 1st (i don't know if this is right but this what i was told) in Physics and Mathematics

So? If that person really did go to Cambridge and achieve a double first then it's because they're clever... it has absolutely nothing to do with the extracurricular activities they mentioned in their personal statement.

I'm struggling to understand the point you're trying to make.
Reply 88

Everything I was told not to put in a personal statement
Reply 89

Their PS wasn't the reason why they got an offer.
Because this post wasn't to brag or anything.
Reply 91
Anyone going to Cambridge or planning on going to Cambridge - please tell me about your summers? What have you spent them doing?

Also I'll list my summer activities here:
1. Heathrow Work Experience
2. Inspire Materials Science at Cambridge (residential 4 days)
3. Imperial Mathematics Summer School
4. Scholarship (I'm one of 3 out of thousands of applicants) - 2 weeks at Cambridge studying Engineering
5. UCL summer school (residential 4 days)
6. Tutoring from August 26th to September 1st (4 students at AJ tuition centre, Romford Road)
7. potential Harvard School Scholarship for Mechanical Engineering

Is this enough or should I do less?
Also what out of these should I write about in my potential personal statement, because if I can't write about it - I'll drop it.

Successful personal statement for Trinity College, Cambridge

Stop showing off ur ruining my dreams.
I agree that extra-curricular events won't take you Oxbridge.

1) You have to be passionate and very good at your chosen subject
2) They don't really help as Cambridge doesn't look for them
3) You just need good grades + STEP or whatever. If you have extra time, I'd spend it on Olympiad Maths or STEP/AEA etc.

It's good that you're doing this much but most Cambridge students I know for Maths didn't do this.
I think i'm doing overkill because I know i'm boring and i have no personality to write about (lollll)

Haha well I'm just going off the simple philosophy that if you want to the best then you need to be better than the rest!

Good luck tho

I'd say you should be specific rather than listing out all the "impressive activities". BTW, I went to trinity maths open day, they clearly say they normally don't even read candidates' personal statement if you apply for maths! (They might do a minute or so before the interview) Perfect grades and interview performance are more important
Lmao I did NCS and recovered from my exams... that's a lot - enjoy!
Original post by laaaarrry
So? If that person really did go to Cambridge and achieve a double first then it's because they're clever... it has absolutely nothing to do with the extracurricular activities they mentioned in their personal statement.

I'm struggling to understand the point you're trying to make.

Doing lots of EC activities shows your 'passion' for the subject. To this day he is the smartest mathematician I know, he went from Newham, to eton to westminster school (all on scholarships) then he went to trinity, Cambridge.
Reply 97
Doing lots of EC activities shows your 'passion' for the subject. To this day he is the smartest mathematician I know, he went from Newham, to eton to westminster school (all on scholarships) then he went to trinity, Cambridge.

SCs perhaps, ECs no. But being a "smart mathematician" is the most important factor of all. They will have done well in Trinity's maths test, and in STEP. That's how they earned their place at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly I know several people who started at Oxford/Cambridge last year, and many more (including me) who have received offers this year. The truth is that almost all of us didn't go to any summer schools or do any of these programmes or actually very much in the way of extracurricular activity whatsoever... (and in fact the people I know who actually did do these activities all got rejected.) Really it's a myth that you need to do all of these things and in reality all you need is a passion for your subject (and of course that does include outside reading) and to be talented. There's little more to it. The point is that you're in year 11 and you needn't worry yourself about Cambridge so early on (in all honesty it's not worth thinking too much on it until the summer of year 12 - after the mocks you'll sit etc). Just enjoy your summer, read around areas of your subject that you enjoy and relax. TL;DR Cambridge don't really care about your extracurricular activities, so just enjoy your life.

You can disagree if you like - it's your prerogative. I'm just trying to get the point across that in my experience it doesn't matter whether you do an obscene number of extra activities to try and boost your personal statement (particularly for maths and similar subjects - my interviewer and I spoke for about 30 seconds regarding my personal statement, whilst in most cases they won't mention it at all).

Also as an aside I think it can be quite unhealthy to obsess over Cambridge so early - I know several people who did the same and most of them were struck very hard by rejection and now are somewhat lost.

2 x PRSOM

OP should really listen to this poster’s advice. I especially agree with the last paragraph of the second quote.

My advice would be......you REALLY need to calm down.
Hi mundos!!!!
How is your gcses getting along.
I got 7/140 in Biology.

7/140?

No offence you should be working on that rather than faffing around with this summer school stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending