The Student Room Group

Online SKE - any experiences?

Hi all,

Had my first interview today and was offered a place (woo!). I need to do a bit of SKE which I expected and due to work commitments, I'm going to do an online one.

The person who offered me a place said I could informally do some SKE or do it formally (making it part of my offer). I'd prefer to do it formally but he said to check I can find one that meets my needs and to email him tomorrow to let him know if I can't find one (so I would have to do it informally).

My needs are basically that I'm looking for an 8 week, Maths SKE, entirely based online that I can fit around my 10-4 part time job.

I've had a look and the TES/Eureka ones look alright. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or are there better courses?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

My advice would be as follows:
- If you have a choice, don't tie your completion of an SKE to your offer
- If you have the opportunity to do a full time SKE as opposed to an online one I highly recommend it.

I did an online SKE with TES. It was ok, but certainly didn't take 25 hours of my time. More like about 1 - 2 hours per week. I didn't really learn anything in this time since the tasks were short and not particularly involved. You were also encouraged to collaborate on the forms by posting lesson plans, but in reality all that happens is people submit their plans and "tick", that task is done. I also didn't have much of a relationship with my tutor and felt that much of what he wrote was cut and paste from other emails. He was also on holiday for two weeks which didn't concern either of us but feels a bit cheeky if you really have to do it.

For me, the SKE was a tick box exercise, but many of my course mates did the full time one at university and by the sounds of it, it was brilliant. Certainly a lot better than what I did.

So ask yourself what you want to achieve. If you genuinely want to improve your subject knowledge in your own time, I suggest you buy a GCSE maths revision book and work through that. It is certainly more useful than going on a TES SKE.

Good luck!
Don't do it with TES ! Platform is defunct and it's soooooo frustrating choose other providers
Would also repeat similar concerns here. TES is a complete joke. If you feel you - need - the subject knowledge, don't do TES. However, if you feel quite confident 100% do TES, and I would recommend even doing a longer course than suggested. You can complete a task which is supposed to last 25 hours in 3-4 hours. I was placed on a 20-week TES course, and completed it in under three weeks. You get paid 800 pounds per month to do it, so it is essentially free money.

But yeah, if you want to actually learn, definitely dont do TES.

Original post by ByEeek

So ask yourself what you want to achieve. If you genuinely want to improve your subject knowledge in your own time, I suggest you buy a GCSE maths revision book and work through that. It is certainly more useful than going on a TES SKE.

Would also echo this, as it is essentially what I done and it worked out fine (whilst still being paid by TES).
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't do TES!!! they are awful! the courses are not thought through, the site is dysfunctional - often out of order and the IT support non-existant i spend most of my time uploading stuff that's been timed out / deleted, being chased by my tutor and being told to re RAG stuff - spend most of my time reformatting tables and changing the shading. No teaching it's just annoying. My course is dependent on the SKE (has to be to get bursary) but it's such a bad experience I'm thinking of dropping out and deferring my PGCE.... DONT DO IT !!! is my advice! and I'm not the only one there is a TES SKE facebook page (closed group) and its a constant stream of complaints and questions about what is expected and how to communicate with them. Deadlines and timetables change willy nilly!

They are just after the cash I think, they hold onto bursaries as long as possible too - you are meant to get them every 2 weeks we are in our 6th week and no one has received a bean!!! once they have your email address they also try and flog you 'extra resources' - there are even links to their money making stuff in the actual course materials !!!

tutors, going by the FB page, are either nowhere to be found or administration freaks.... It's a company owned by 'Tory friends' so nosurprise. I was talking to another provider (Uni) last week who said TES got the nod for the new SKE courses before anyone else so they could be first to market while everyone else heard later and couldn't prepare in time (not that TES managed that anyway) they just had the registration open first so as sole provider got all the registering students !!!! A Sham Scam.......
Original post by myra tivos
Don't do TES!!! they are awful! the courses are not thought through, the site is dysfunctional - often out of order and the IT support non-existant i spend most of my time uploading stuff that's been timed out / deleted, being chased by my tutor and being told to re RAG stuff - spend most of my time reformatting tables and changing the shading. No teaching it's just annoying. My course is dependent on the SKE (has to be to get bursary) but it's such a bad experience I'm thinking of dropping out and deferring my PGCE.... DONT DO IT !!! is my advice! and I'm not the only one there is a TES SKE facebook page (closed group) and its a constant stream of complaints and questions about what is expected and how to communicate with them. Deadlines and timetables change willy nilly!

They are just after the cash I think, they hold onto bursaries as long as possible too - you are meant to get them every 2 weeks we are in our 6th week and no one has received a bean!!! once they have your email address they also try and flog you 'extra resources' - there are even links to their money making stuff in the actual course materials !!!

tutors, going by the FB page, are either nowhere to be found or administration freaks.... It's a company owned by 'Tory friends' so nosurprise. I was talking to another provider (Uni) last week who said TES got the nod for the new SKE courses before anyone else so they could be first to market while everyone else heard later and couldn't prepare in time (not that TES managed that anyway) they just had the registration open first so as sole provider got all the registering students !!!! A Sham Scam.......

Do you know the name of the fb group? Been trying to find it. I'm having an absolute nightmare with my tutor who is being a complete jobsworth! I hate it! Going to complain to my uni. My TES tutor seems insistent on my putting weaker self assessment as she says my notes do not match word for word on the marks scheme. I tell her they are only notes and meant solely for guidance (as TES state) and am happy with my self assessment where I had two areas green and two amber. She marked me as red and refuses to change my marking till I redo my assessment to make it appear weaker. This has been going round and round in circles all week!!!
My Geography SKE was simply 2 A level papers I had to complete. Don't feel prepared at all for September but they gave me a bursary to do it, so I'm happy
Original post by StudentTeach1982
My Geography SKE was simply 2 A level papers I had to complete. Don't feel prepared at all for September but they gave me a bursary to do it, so I'm happy

I think I'd rather do the exam papers! I find all this self assessment doesn't actually aid learning. My tutor says I need to think I would mark a pupil against it when marking my own work in preparation for being a teacher, which I get is important but I was doing this course to improve my subject knowledge (as the title suggests!). I've been out of uni for 10 years so did need refreshing on areas and would hope teaching techniques I would then learn during the pgce. I've requested a new tutor as I found mine so frustrating
Original post by buckley87
I think I'd rather do the exam papers! I find all this self assessment doesn't actually aid learning. My tutor says I need to think I would mark a pupil against it when marking my own work in preparation for being a teacher, which I get is important but I was doing this course to improve my subject knowledge (as the title suggests!). I've been out of uni for 10 years so did need refreshing on areas and would hope teaching techniques I would then learn during the pgce. I've requested a new tutor as I found mine so frustrating

Not sure what subject your doing, but I managed to get my hands on some text books and I'm just reading those. Thats helped me loads so far
Original post by StudentTeach1982
Not sure what subject your doing, but I managed to get my hands on some text books and I'm just reading those. Thats helped me loads so far

That's what I've done now, I'm doing biology. I really don't rate TES as actually enhancing knowledge. Only more few weeks left of the course though (8 week course 🙄)
Has anyone done the Eureka course?
Reply 11
I have been working through my Biology SKE with VidLearn and have found it to be brilliant! The resources are great and they even send you textbooks to keep as well. Plus communication with them has been efficient and friendly.
I definitely think that the SKE is something you get more out of the more you put into it.
hi there,I am about to apply for a geography one,how long did you spend on it as i have full time work commitments also.Did they mark the papers and require you to get a grade?thanks
Reply 13
Original post by rhinocoote
hi there,I am about to apply for a geography one,how long did you spend on it as i have full time work commitments also.Did they mark the papers and require you to get a grade?thanks

Hi I’m still working through mine as it’s a 28 week course that they recommend you spend 25 hours a week on, however I have found it to be more like 15-20 hours a week. Mine is purely online as I work full time I couldn’t complete one at a university. The assignments are done after every module and require a pass mark (only get either pass or fail) and with the provider I use it’s a module reflection essay and module summary powerpoint
Thanks, wh is your ske provider?- have you received a bursary whilst completing?
Thanks, who is your ske provider?- have you received a bursary whilst completing?
Reply 16
Original post by rhinocoote
Thanks, who is your ske provider?- have you received a bursary whilst completing?

My provider is VIDLEARN and yes I have been receiving the bursary
Hi, I'm doing mine online at the moment through Canterbury Christ Church University. I'm doing Chemistry and the course is online videos, resource links and a weekly online tutorial. I do end of subject reviews and an online portfolio which gets checked by my tutor. It's 25 hours a week and they offer different durations - they do maths too and offer 8 weeks, you could get a bursary for doing it which is £200 per week.
https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-here/courses/postgraduate/maths-ske.aspx
Reply 18
Just a quick question, im meant to be starting the SKE next week but I havent heard anything. Will there be something on my university learning page on the start date?
Reply 19
Original post by George_Maths
Has anyone done the Eureka course?

Probably a bit late now but I am currently doing a Eureka online course. Did you start yours? I've not received any bursary payments yet, did you have any problems?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending