The Student Room Group

Information about A-Level cost.

Hi, I want to take a full Maths A-Levels, but I'm not well informed about how these certifications works. Units/papers/subjects/exmas, every centre have different terms so I have difficulties to compare and understand how much I'll have to pay.

For example: 150£ per unit, what's the total (full Maths A-Level, no further maths).

And if can you explain me these terms (Units/papers/subjects/exmas).

Thank you!
(edited 6 years ago)
How old are you? Do you have any other level 3 qualification? 18-24 without a level 3 are entitled to free education. For costs it's about 50 or 60 pounds for the Exams (As included) I know someone who paid 300 pound for a night class in A Level Math though, but it's completely free if you self educate yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by stingggggg
How old are you? Do you have any other level 3 qualification? 18-24 without a level 3 are entitled to free education. For costs it's about 50 or 60 pounds for the Exams (As included) I know someone who paid 300 pound for a night class in A Level Math though, but it's completely free if you self educate yourself.

Hi, I don't have any other qualification. I'm not looking for courses but exams as external candidate. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

(I'm 20)
(edited 6 years ago)
im an external candidate for old spec a level maths.ive paid £15 each for 3 exams, then this year I've paid £18 per exam and an extra £15 per resit.
I've also paid £130 in admin fees last year
Reply 4
Original post by RuthieG101
im an external candidate for old spec a level maths.ive paid £15 each for 3 exams, then this year I've paid £18 per exam and an extra £15 per resit.
I've also paid £130 in admin fees last year

Lucky you haha whereabouts?
Original post by jamesaew
Hi, I want to take a full Maths A-Levels, but I'm not well informed about how these certifications works. Units/papers/subjects/exmas, every centre have different terms so I have difficulties to compare and understand how much I'll have to pay.

For example: 150£ per unit, what's the total (full Maths A-Level, no further maths).

And if can you explain me these terms (Units/papers/subjects/exmas).

Thank you!

If you are starting now you'll need to sit the new Maths spec - which board? Edexcel have a list of centres that accept external candidates on their website.
That is a large amount to have been quoted. I suspect you have mostly looked at companies who offer to organise everything for you. Take the above poster's advice and check which schools/colleges near you are registered for external students because they usually add only modest fees to the general cost. You may, however, have missed their deadlines by now. Make the calls on Monday.
Lucky you haha whereabouts?

I'm in Lincolnshire, but have a 35 min journey to get there.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
If you are starting now you'll need to sit the new Maths spec - which board? Edexcel have a list of centres that accept external candidates on their website.

AQA. I already saw the list of schools who accept external candidates.

My question is: What's the difference among these terms: unit/paper/subject/exam. Because every school use different terms and I have difficulties to compare the prices haha.

For example some schools have 60£ per paper, others 60£ per unit, others per exam and per subject.
AQA. I already saw the list of schools who accept external candidates.

My question is: What's the difference among these terms: unit/paper/subject/exam. Because every school use different terms and I have difficulties to compare the prices haha.

For example some schools have 60£ per paper, others 60£ per unit, others per exam and per subject.

Old or new spec? In the old spec there were six modules [units] but you can check how many papers there are now for A level.

You can always ring up/e-mail and ask?
Per subject should cover everything.
Per exam - multiply no of exams by that cost and per paper should be the same.
you still need to contact these schools as I'm aqa and none of schools/centres in my local list were accepting external candidates anymore.
took months to find a school who did, and I have to travel 35 mins (as long as traffic is good) to get there

Quick Reply

Latest