The Student Room Group

Maths statistics alevel question

Events a, b and c are defined in the sample space, s such that p(a)=0.4, p(b)= 0.2, p(anc) = 0.04 and p(buc)= 0.44. The events a and b are independent and b and c are mutually exclusive draw a Venn diagram.
What have you done so far? Where are you stuck?
Original post by old_engineer
What have you done so far? Where are you stuck?

I just don’t understand how to answer the question I am struggling to draw the Venn diagram all I can work out is the p(and) which is 0.08
Original post by Jademorgan1
I just don’t understand how to answer the question I am struggling to draw the Venn diagram all I can work out is the p(and) which is 0.08

It would just be 3 circles in a line, order B A C, where A intersects both B and C, but obviously B doesn't intersect C.
Original post by Jademorgan1

OK, there are three blobs, A, B and C. The value of P(A n C) is given so we know that those two blobs intersect, and by how much. We are told that B an C are mutually exclusive so we know that those two blobs do not intersect. From that, P(B u C) = P(B) + P(C).

Can you continue from there?
A and B are independent, therefore P(AnB) = p(a) x p(b). From this you can get the others
Thank you all so much

Quick Reply

Latest