The Student Room Group

Work experience

Hello!
I'd like to ask where could I apply for a work experience around Luton? Currently, I'm 1st year of biomed and I'm trying to see how I can fit into working with patients, how do I feel about it and is medicine a real goal that I want to pursue.
I volunteer at Parkinson's UK but it is only once a week. Another thing I tried to do is to contact different hospitals around Bedfordshire. However, I did not get a single response.
The second plan was to work as a healthcare assistant, but I don't have any certificate that will allow me to do it.
At the moment I'm working in McD because that is the main source of money for me.
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

I would just like to thank you for such a kind gest. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Volibear
Have you tried contacting the volunteering department of these hospitals? I just had a quick search of Bedford Hospital and they run voluntary work, two possibilities being Ward Helper, and Clinic Helper.

As for getting a job as an HCA, can you not find somewhere that will allow to to work towards any qualifications whilst you're working?

I contacted the hospital in Stevenage. Actually, I applied for both volunteering and the work experience.
The respond that I've got for the work experience is that I'm not living in the expected postcode and I'm still waiting for the response for volunteering application. Regardless of Stevenage's hospital respond, I checked Bedford hospital. They have several possible options. (Thanks Volibear for the tip). One of them is The Student Involvement Programme which would be the ideal thing. In addition, they offer a work experience as well as volunteering. Also, I was at a meeting today with some people from Parkinson's UK. Even though the hub where we used to meet is closed, they will open a new one, in a smaller place, closer to town, with different meeting times. Actually, the best news today was that I was offered to be a part of the research project which will consider Parkinson's disease and the effect of exercise on the disease. About the HCA job, I think I will stay with McD for now. It is a primary source of money and because I can work only 20 hours per week (due to limitations - even though my country is in EU and I'm not on the visa), I can't risk with HCA now.
Reply 4
Just to make this alive again.
I contacted Stevenage hospital and apparentlyI'm too far away from Stevenage to either volunteer or have a work experience. Also, I applied for Bedford hospital, both for volunteering and for work experience, however, after 2 weeks I still didn't get any reply from them.

Is it worth giving up a secure job at McD to look for a job as a Health Care Assistant?
Or should I get the best grades possible, wait until uni is over and then do 2 jobs?
Any kind of suggestion would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 5
I will try to chase Bedford. They are connected with my university anyway. As far as I know, nurses have practice there. I did also mention that in my application. Hopefully, something will happen.

I'm not sure about medical school that I'm served by, but I will check it out definitely.
Thanks for that!

Niiice
I can't say it is bad for me in there. Money is good, enough to pay for monthly rent and for monthly food.I can even save some small
amount every month. Also, the crew is great as well as managers

Talking about UKCAT/GAMSAT, is it too early to start with preparing for it this summer?

Thank you so much!
Do you mind if I send you a PM?
I don't want to disrupt you if you're busy.
Reply 6
Give Bedford hospital time. When I applied to the hospice I'm volunteering at, it was a month before I got a reply. Also, how did you apply?

I will, there's no other way. Although I hate to wait, I just have to be patient for this. It will be worth it :biggrin:

Above everything, make sure that you get the best grades you can. If you can't balance two jobs now, don't. You can have all the experience in the world but if you don't get the minimum grades the medical school wants, your application won't be considered.

I'm constantly doing the revision, ever since Christmas time.
Mostly ANKI flashcards with a lot of reading and quizzing.
We don't have any exams until May so I am focused more to write the assignments properly and get above 70%.
So far it's going as I planned. Thus, 3/3, everything above 70% (lowest 73%) :biggrin:

Anyway, thanks for the advice once again :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Well, I'm the first year now, so probably next year.

About UKCAT, some things about doing the undergrad and some general things about med school.
Reply 8
Fair enough. I'll find something else to study during the summer haha

How is that possible? :confused:
Reply 9
I am just 23.
Not as lucky as you were 😂

I will probably regret saying this, but I’m looking forward to do the UKCAT and GAMSAT 😅
Reply 10
You just wait till you start having to revise for the GAMSAT, especially if you do it alongside your degree.

I can only imagine how is it 😅
But I bet it’s going to be worth it
Good luck 😁😁
Reply 11
Finally , I got an answer from Bedford hospital.

"Dear student,

Thank you for your application for work experience at Bedford Hospital, I have forwarded your application on to the correct department and they will contact you in due course.

Regards
C"

Although I have to wait more, at least I've got something :biggrin:
Reply 12
Should I try to reach them again or should I wait more_
Because I still don't have any answer.
Original post by jplascev
Should I try to reach them again or should I wait more_
Because I still don't have any answer.

It's been nearly four weeks, I think it's okay to chase them.
Reply 14
After 2 months of waiting, I called Bedford hospital again. It took me a while to get to the right person. However, I managed to talk with Recruitment Operations Lead. He confirmed that he does not anything about work experience in the hospital, but that he will send some emails in order for me to 'work' with a consultant. It was around the end of April and so far nothing happened. I tried to send an email a week ago but did not receive any response.
I tried to talk with Careers department at uni, they told me that it's gonna be hard to get work experience/shadowing in public hospital and it's better to try at local GPs and private clinics.

Anyway, since summer started, I decided to have another job. I will apply for a HCA.

In addition, I was in a pharmacy the other day and asked the guy if I could help somehow in the pharmacy, just to get some experience. He confirmed it, so I wanted to ask should I start there or I should look for private clinics and GPs because pharmacy is not that related?
Reply 15
I know it's been a while since I wrote last time, but I've good news worth sharing. :biggrin:
Although I did not get that work experience in Bedford hospital, I kind of decided to find something better.
Thus, I applied for HCA position in L&D hospital. That was successful even though I waited 2 months to start, due to references and a few other things I haven't done properly. Last week was the first week of induction and I'm really looking forward to work in there. All the stuff I've met so far is really helpful and supportive. Especially when I tell them that my future goal is to become a doctor, then they're even more open to questions and everything. Being surrounded by all doctors and other clinical stuff is such an inspiring/motivating environment. Whenever a doctor pass next to me I'm thinking like 'Give me few more years, I'll be in your position' :biggrin:

I'm aware that it's not gonna be easy, but the more experience I get know, the more I will be prepared for the future and all the hard situations/decision that's gonna come. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending