The Student Room Group

Dropping a GCSE subject

If I were to drop my GCSE language ( French ) as I’m really bad at it would that have and effect in what university think. I’m getting 7s in all my subjects except French which I got a 3 in so I’m not sure whether dropping it is worth it or shall I keep on doing it.
If you drop it now, no university will ever even know you took French in the first place since you didn't sit exams for it. The only disadvantage would be if you tried to apply to UCL which to my knowledge asks for a pass in a modern foreign language - although this was on the old GCSE system so I'm not sure if it applies now and I'm also not sure if this goes for all subjects.

Other than that, you should be fine.
Reply 2
So the universities won’t care that I haven’t done a Language as a GCSE ?
Original post by dillsz1
So the universities won’t care that I haven’t done a Language as a GCSE ?

I've never seen any university ask for a language in its requirements (unless you want to do a language degree obviously) except for UCL tbh so I *think* you should be fine. But even if they did, a 3 in French is a fail so wouldn't work to your advantage even if you did keep it.
No uni would know but as someone already said, UCL would as they require minimum of a C (or now the number-equivalent) for consideration.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
I’m in year 11 and dropped graphics a few months ago. so glad i did - it was taking up so much of my time and i really wasn’t very good at it. I picked it in year 9 because i thought it was digital stuff and i thought we’d make cool stuff like we did in year 7 - i was definitely wrong. Anyway i now have 3 study periods a week which i use to get homework done so i can focus on revision at home. Dropping it has saved me so much time and i never would have used graphics in my future career anyway.

I’m still doing 9 gcses and i really do not regret dropping it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest