The Student Room Group

I dunno what subject to drop

Hi there.

I want to be a doctor. I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Computer Science. At GCSE I got 9997 in my subjects respectively. Maths is killing me and I can't deal with four subjects, so I want to drop it, but my GCSE grade was better in that than CS. What would you fine folks suggest?
Reply 1
Do what you like the most. Med schools when looking for students mainly care about Chem and Bio. Your 3rd subject gives you a bit of free range and shows your personality and versatility. It is important to consider when dropping a subject if you like it and if you are good at it. For example I like football but I am horrible at it. Some people are more naturally skilled in some things than others.
Original post by puppy_punk
Hi there.

I want to be a doctor. I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Computer Science. At GCSE I got 9997 in my subjects respectively. Maths is killing me and I can't deal with four subjects, so I want to drop it, but my GCSE grade was better in that than CS. What would you fine folks suggest?

Between maths and computer science- which subject do you like best and think you are going to get the best grade in?
Reply 3
Hi there.

Check general course requirements for medicine. I think some require maths. But if you hate it and it's unnecessary DROP IT!
Hi there.

If you really hate maths, your performance in it might drop regardless of whether your GCSE grade was higher than CS. As a person who also hates maths but is good at it, I would drop it asap so you can do stuff you like. So, I'd say drop maths, work a bit more on CS, and just make sure you're doing great in biology and chemistry because those two are most important. But it is hard to say because you didn't specify how much worse you are in CS.

Quick Reply

Latest