The Student Room Group

GCSE Options Advice

Hi! I’m in Year 9 and I’m due to be choosing my GCSE options some time soon.
I’ve had my mind set on choosing Music, Spanish, History and Geography for a while; they’re all subjects that I both enjoy and am good at.
However, me and my mum were talking recently and she mentioned that it might be good to consider Computer Science since the world is becoming so tech-based and it can’t hurt to have a qualification like that! Also, I hope to either go into languages or scientific research when I’m older, and the CompSci would help with the science. I’m pretty decent at ICT at the moment and I’m enjoying the programming that we’ve started doing recently.
However, I also really love the subjects I mentioned before, and don’t know if I’d really want to drop any of them. I want to continue music because I find it really fun, plus it would be good to have a more practical subject under my belt. Spanish is obvious- languages. History would probably the more obvious one to drop since it’s a humanity + it doesn’t directly relate to what I want to do in the future, but I really really enjoy it and I think the essay aspect would help if I were to take languages/linguistics to uni. Geography is a good one to have because it relates to a lot of scientific jobs- particularly ones with travelling involved, which appeal to me.
Plus perhaps in the future I could maybe just do a one-off paid CompSci course outside of school?
Anyways, sorry for the essay! Do you reckon that I should drop one of those subjects and do CompSci instead or not?
Thank you very much! 😊
Original post by WelcometotheUser
I’ve had my mind set on choosing Music, Spanish, History and Geography for a while; they’re all subjects that I both enjoy and am good at.
However, me and my mum were talking recently and she mentioned that it might be good to consider Computer Science since the world is becoming so tech-based and it can’t hurt to have a qualification like that! Also, I hope to either go into languages or scientific research when I’m older, and the CompSci would help with the science. I’m pretty decent at ICT at the moment and I’m enjoying the programming that we’ve started doing recently.
However, I also really love the subjects I mentioned before, and don’t know if I’d really want to drop any of them. I want to continue music because I find it really fun, plus it would be good to have a more practical subject under my belt. Spanish is obvious- languages. History would probably the more obvious one to drop since it’s a humanity + it doesn’t directly relate to what I want to do in the future, but I really really enjoy it and I think the essay aspect would help if I were to take languages/linguistics to uni. Geography is a good one to have because it relates to a lot of scientific jobs- particularly ones with travelling involved, which appeal to me.
Plus perhaps in the future I could maybe just do a one-off paid CompSci course outside of school?
Anyways, sorry for the essay! Do you reckon that I should drop one of those subjects and do CompSci instead or not?
Thank you very much! 😊

You will learn how to use a computer more as you get into your GCSE and A-level years, so I don't think it is essential to do computer science. I would take the subjects you think you are going to enjoy and that you can do well in. I don't think you should drop one of those subjects to do computer science unless you think you are going to enjoy it more.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
You will learn how to use a computer more as you get into your GCSE and A-level years, so I don't think it is essential to do computer science. I would take the subjects you think you are going to enjoy and that you can do well in. I don't think you should drop one of those subjects to do computer science unless you think you are going to enjoy it more.

Oh, thank you very much! It’s a bit of a comfort to hear this because, although I enjoy CompSci, I’d be fairly reluctant to drop any of these subjects.
Original post by WelcometotheUser
Thank you very much! 😊

It's definitely possible to do a computing course outside of school (nowadays you can do courses for free in any field you want and any time you want), so I don't recommend picking computer science if it's not something you would feel like pursuing further or dropping your subjects for.
Definitely go for subjects you would have motivation to work hard for, you're more likely to do well in them and enjoy them too.
Also remember that you have time to research into the courses you would be doing at gcse and talk to people about them, so you don't need to rush into your decision.

:smile:
Original post by *LifeHappens*
It's definitely possible to do a computing course outside of school (nowadays you can do courses for free in any field you want and any time you want), so I don't recommend picking computer science if it's not something you would feel like pursuing further or dropping your subjects for.
Definitely go for subjects you would have motivation to work hard for, you're more likely to do well in them and enjoy them too.
Also remember that you have time to research into the courses you would be doing at gcse and talk to people about them, so you don't need to rush into your decision.

:smile:

thank you very much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest