The Student Room Group

I booked an appointment with my GP about my mental health

It's in about 2 weeks but i don't know how i should prepare

I'm scared but slightly proud of myself that i finally took some initiative. I haven't told anyone i've booked it, not even my parents + i hope to keep it that way but it makes me feel like i'm doing something wrong

I'm extremely worried that the GP i'm meeting with will not be understanding because my medical practice is known for being quite bad. Will he just refer me to CAMHS? I've heard they don't really consult you about treatment and just give what they think is best without the young perosn having any say. Is this true?

I was so overwhlemed that I decided to use my phone to dial the number and book the appointment that i ended up having a nap for 3 hours.
My mind's going a mile a milisecond and I don't know if i'm confused, excited, worried or frightened

Scroll to see replies

Chances are he/she will refer you to an NHS psychologist.
Original post by Anonymous

I'm scared but slightly proud of myself that i finally took some initiative. I haven't told anyone i've booked it, not even my parents + i hope to keep it that way but it makes me feel like i'm doing something wrong

I'm extremely worried that the GP i'm meeting with will not be understanding because my medical practice is known for being quite bad. Will he just refer me to CAMHS? I've heard they don't really consult you about treatment and just give what they think is best without the young perosn having any say. Is this true?

I was so overwhlemed that I decided to use my phone to dial the number and book the appointment that i ended up having a nap for 3 hours.
My mind's going a mile a milisecond and I don't know if i'm confused, excited, worried or frightened

Just relax, just go to your appointment with your GP and he/she will refer you to the mental health place if they think you need it. He/she may also prescribe you antidepressants. (This is how I was referred to the mental health team and got prescribed anti-despressants once).

So relax, don't worry :smile: it'll all be fine :smile: just go to your appointment and talk. They won't force you to take anything. They will always consult you about treatment and appointments. (Always did for me).
Well done for booking the appointment!! That in itself is a big step in the right direction!! YOU CAN DO THISSSS!

I'm not sure about the treatment, but I guess it would depend on your age and your understanding of the treatment, but they should really discuss it with you.

It's ok not to tell anyone about the appointment as well, it's whatever makes you more comfortable.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4

Sometimes doctors don't really involve you much, but that's usually cos they're just so used to doing it that they kinda forget it's all new to you. If you ever aren't comfortable with something they suggest or have any other questions or concerns just say. This is all about you so you should feel involved and have a say in your treatment/ the support you get.

You are doing a good thing by getting support. You don't need to tell anybody if you don't want to, but it's nothing you should feel ashamed of. You are doing nothing wrong.

What they do varies, but they will likely tell you about a counseling/ therapy service you can use our refer you to CAMHS. It can take a while for referrals to go through so in the meantime you can ask your school about their counselling service or talk to childline by phone or their 121 online chat. Taking can be a big help.

It often helps with an appointment if you write down what you want to talk about and bring that in. You can use it to remind yourself what to say or pass it to them so you don't have to talk as much.

I hope that helps. Congratulations for coming this far. It can be a big step. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Owz5
Just relax, just go to your appointment with your GP and he/she will refer you to the mental health place if they think you need it. He/she may also prescribe you antidepressants. (This is how I was referred to the mental health team and got prescribed anti-despressants once).

So relax, don't worry :smile: it'll all be fine :smile: just go to your appointment and talk. They won't force you to take anything. They will always consult you about treatment and appointments. (Always did for me).

Thank you
If they choose to prescribe me antidepressants will they have to tell/consult my parents?
Are you still in need of help cause dude I got experience with these bloodsuckers I was in more or less the same situation as you.
Reply 7
Original post by AspiringAccount
Are you still in need of help cause dude I got experience with these bloodsuckers I was in more or less the same situation as you.

Yeah I'm still a bit anxious.. what do you mean?
Thank you
If they choose to prescribe me antidepressants will they have to tell/consult my parents?

They didn't tell mine.

You can ask them not to tell your parents about things, they will ask you if you want them to share the information with your parents.
Yeah I'm still a bit anxious.. what do you mean?

Alright before I start imma warn you that my grammar is beyond sh*t. You have been warned.

Ok so a while back in the mid point of year 9 I began cutting one thing lead to another and I got caught by the higher ups in my school and they reported me to the nhs. I had to go see a GP to begin with and boy it was a pain in the a*s the facts were put against me I couldn't lie my way out of the GP appointment. Therefore, I was sent straight for a psychologist appointment. Now listen dude this is where stuff gets stressful for one thing your parents will have to end up coming with you to every single damn 1 hour (sometimes more) appointment. They'll have to cut corners around everyday tasks just to waste their time at a man/woman with a pen trying to get you to admit to something that will get you sent straight to the mental wards. Here's how it goes.
The first appointment seems simple you have to take a parent/guardian with you and the psychologist will ask you a couple of questions maybe even get your guard down so that you say something that will provide evidence to send you to a ward. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH ALWAYS KEEP YOUR GUARD UP!!! These demonic entities are just in it to pretend and get information out of you so remember pay attention to the questions and be honest but if they ask questions about abuse you must say no otherwise your parents are gone. Just pay attention to their questions.
Alright assuming you did such it won't be over they'll ask your other parent to come along for a second appointment. In the second appointment you'll obviously need to keep your guard up and again pay attention to their questions. They may bring a trainee with them but don't worry too much about that although the trainee may ask some questions. I think of this as a tactic of theirs to again get you to admit to some evidence that they'll need. Ok assuming you kept your guard up and answered the questions paying attention to their trick questions. They'll move you to a third appointment.

The third appointment is where my parents told me that enough was enough and that I was gonna have to lie. That was the best advice I got in a while and so I did I lied to their more pressing questions (what I mean by this is that each appointment the questions will get more trickier and personal) but then you gotta go for at least another two appointments or more depending on how convincing you are.

4th appointment. Continue to lie and keep your guard up answer the questions about abuse and such with a no and answer the questions like are you happy with your family? and such things like that. Ok your almost there. Assuming your a damn good liar you should be able to move for the 4th and final appointment.

The 5th appointment is where they'll go hard on you asking every trick question in the book. Stay calm don't freak out and answer paying attention to their questions do not slip they will use this against you.

Alright job done you have succesfully got your a*s outta that horrific situation. Good luck dude.

Oh and do not be anxious pretend to be brave at least for a while.
Alright before I start imma warn you that my grammar is beyond sh*t. You have been warned.

Ok so a while back in the mid point of year 9 I began cutting one thing lead to another and I got caught by the higher ups in my school and they reported me to the nhs. I had to go see a GP to begin with and boy it was a pain in the a*s the facts were put against me I couldn't lie my way out of the GP appointment. Therefore, I was sent straight for a psychologist appointment. Now listen dude this is where stuff gets stressful for one thing your parents will have to end up coming with you to every single damn 1 hour (sometimes more) appointment. They'll have to cut corners around everyday tasks just to waste their time at a man/woman with a pen trying to get you to admit to something that will get you sent straight to the mental wards. Here's how it goes.
The first appointment seems simple you have to take a parent/guardian with you and the psychologist will ask you a couple of questions maybe even get your guard down so that you say something that will provide evidence to send you to a ward. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH ALWAYS KEEP YOUR GUARD UP!!! These demonic entities are just in it to pretend and get information out of you so remember pay attention to the questions and be honest but if they ask questions about abuse you must say no otherwise your parents are gone. Just pay attention to their questions.
Alright assuming you did such it won't be over they'll ask your other parent to come along for a second appointment. In the second appointment you'll obviously need to keep your guard up and again pay attention to their questions. They may bring a trainee with them but don't worry too much about that although the trainee may ask some questions. I think of this as a tactic of theirs to again get you to admit to some evidence that they'll need. Ok assuming you kept your guard up and answered the questions paying attention to their trick questions. They'll move you to a third appointment.

The third appointment is where my parents told me that enough was enough and that I was gonna have to lie. That was the best advice I got in a while and so I did I lied to their more pressing questions (what I mean by this is that each appointment the questions will get more trickier and personal) but then you gotta go for at least another two appointments or more depending on how convincing you are.

4th appointment. Continue to lie and keep your guard up answer the questions about abuse and such with a no and answer the questions like are you happy with your family? and such things like that. Ok your almost there. Assuming your a damn good liar you should be able to move for the 4th and final appointment.

The 5th appointment is where they'll go hard on you asking every trick question in the book. Stay calm don't freak out and answer paying attention to their questions do not slip they will use this against you.

Alright job done you have succesfully got your a*s outta that horrific situation. Good luck dude.

I should also point out that I've never been to a psychologist and that I derived this method from my knowledge on psychology. So don't take the over exaggerations seriously. To be honest this story was from my friend and it turned out be viable.
(edited 6 years ago)
Nothing to be scared of, depending on your age and the severity of your mental health problems they will either send you over to a counselor or psychologist. You just talk to either, let them be aware of how bad things are for you and then they will prescribe you with the right medication (as well as look after you - as in meet you for appointments etc, they won't section you or anything unless you are a real danger to yourself)
I should also point out that I've never been to a psychologist and that I derived this method from my knowledge on psychology. So don't take the over exaggerations seriously. To be honest this story was from my friend and it turned out be viable.

It's unfortunate that your friend had such a bad experience but this is certainly not true for everyone
Original post by bones-mccoy
It's unfortunate that your friend had such a bad experience but this is certainly not true for everyone

Fair point. Take a rep.

Well this has scared the crap out of me, thanks

I'm not suicidal nor have i ever been with intent so i don't think i'd be classed a severe case + hopefully get the help the correct help i need without my parent's intervention
Well this has scared the crap out of me, thanks

I'm not suicidal nor have i ever been with intent so i don't think i'd be classed a severe case + hopefully get the help the correct help i need without my parent's intervention

dude your aware your parents are gonna be with you throughout the whole process.
dude your aware your parents are gonna be with you throughout the whole process.

I'm 17 so i think i should be entitled to confidentiality??
I'm 17 so i think i should be entitled to confidentiality??

I did not know that, in which case yeah I guess you would although I still doubt it. I just gotta clarify this. Nah too much work i'll just agree.
Good luck with your appointment, id recommend making a list of things that have happened and how you’ve been feeling, this is so you can make sure you say everything important. Your gp might then refer you to camhs, but if you think it’s beneficial repeat a couple of times that you want to be referred and hopefully they will. Although, if you get referred to camhs your parents will know about it since they have to give consent etc. I was in the same situation a while ago so if you have any questions just ask
Original post by rubyledger
Good luck with your appointment, id recommend making a list of things that have happened and how you’ve been feeling, this is so you can make sure you say everything important. Your gp might then refer you to camhs, but if you think it’s beneficial repeat a couple of times that you want to be referred and hopefully they will. Although, if you get referred to camhs your parents will know about it since they have to give consent etc. I was in the same situation a while ago so if you have any questions just ask

Also don’t have any expectations like my gp is going to confirm I’m depressed, I’ll get prescribed antidepressants it proabaly won’t happen, gp are not specially trained in physcology so you will have to wait until you are referred to a professional

Quick Reply

Latest