The Student Room Group

A Level self study options? Classics and English

Could anyone please outline the possibilities (and pros/cons) of self studying an A Level through some kind of online course? I'm interested in taking Classical studies and possibly English Language, or, instead, retaking English literature. I need to achieve grade A's in whatever I choose. Also, Is it possible to fast track classics and complete the course within a year? I have already read much of the translations of Homer's work.

Thanks!
Original post by ptointon
Could anyone please outline the possibilities (and pros/cons) of self studying an A Level through some kind of online course? I'm interested in taking Classical studies and possibly English Language, or, instead, retaking English literature. I need to achieve grade A's in whatever I choose. Also, Is it possible to fast track classics and complete the course within a year? I have already read much of the translations of Homer's work.

Thanks!

1, Yes it's possible.
2. Might be only option.
3. All down to you. You dont have the support of teachers and classmates. You have to organise yourself.

Yes you could do it in a year if you work hard enough.

Classics is like a mix of English and History. Download and look at a specification. It is well respected.

EL is slightly better then E, but wont it be easier to resit rather than do a new subject? You know how you performed.

You are responsible for your own quality control though. If you do an online course at least you will get some support and feedback.
thanks! Yes will likely resit literature and take classics as well. With regards to online courses, what are the most recognised 'companies'?
Original post by ptointon
thanks! Yes will likely resit literature and take classics as well. With regards to online courses, what are the most recognised 'companies'?

The National Extension College is well-known and has recently started enrolling on the reformed Classical Civilisation course, which (with them) is a mix of epic (Odyssey and Aeneid), Greek theatre and Greek religion.

Quick Reply

Latest