The Student Room Group

Is Business, English literature and religion a good A-Level combination?

Is English literature, business and religion a good A-Level combination to have? I currently have passed my Business and English A-Level exams but I have to choose another subject and thinking of religious studies as I’ve always been interested in it and I’m good at essay writing. However I’m not sure what I would like to do in university (if I even go to uni) and as a career. I was going to do geography but I have to do it online as I live in France and I need to do field work with geography (so that rules that out) and I also don’t want to do science or maths. Just incase I do want to go to uni is this a respectable combination that can give me a good amount of options?
Original post by summer0306
Is English literature, business and religion a good A-Level combination to have? I currently have passed my Business and English A-Level exams but I have to choose another subject and thinking of religious studies as I’ve always been interested in it and I’m good at essay writing. However I’m not sure what I would like to do in university (if I even go to uni) and as a career. I was going to do geography but I have to do it online as I live in France and I need to do field work with geography (so that rules that out) and I also don’t want to do science or maths. Just incase I do want to go to uni is this a respectable combination that can give me a good amount of options?

English Lit is a semi-required subject for some lit degrees. Otherwise you have no required subjects, so you're only eligible for degrees that ask for any 3 A Levels, assuming you want to study in the UK

Actually there are some geography degrees that accept A Levels in any subject, but you have to look for them.

Where you say you didn't want to do maths, is it maths at uni or quantitative subjects in general? If you don't want to do any quantitative subjects, then you don't need maths at all. If you want to leave yourself open for subjects like CS, economics, finance, data science, then you would need A Level Maths.

Other required and semi-required subjects include:

History

Modern Languages

Classics, Latin, and Greek

Psychology

Geography

Art and design - has coursework

Music

If you're going for subjects that ask for any subjects at A Level, then it's likely you would want to keep your subject choices diverse. If your chosen uni is particularly picky, you might also want to keep your subjects as academic as possible (business isn't particularly academic per se). Religious studies would make your A Level options diverse, but if you want something else you can consider:

Languages (which can be considered equivalent of B2 under the CEFR framework at A Level)

Classics

Computer Science (if you don't consider it a science or maths)

Philosophy

Politics

Psychology

What I don't necessarily recommend is doing economics alongside business, because some unis consider the subjects too similar/too much overlap.

Also, whilst you're living in France, you are technically picking International A Levels (because commuting to the UK to take exams and get your coursework assessed is a pain). Looking at the 3 main exam boards for international A Levels, you don't need to do coursework for geography for iAL (you do for UK A Levels). See the following specs:
https://www.oxfordaqa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/oxfordaqa-international-as-and-a-level-geography-specification.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Geography/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/IAL-Geography-Specification.pdf
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/664556-2025-2026-syllabus.pdf
In other words, you can do Geography iAL without coursework should you wish.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
English Lit is a semi-required subject for some lit degrees. Otherwise you have no required subjects, so you're only eligible for degrees that ask for any 3 A Levels, assuming you want to study in the UK

Actually there are some geography degrees that accept A Levels in any subject, but you have to look for them.

Where you say you didn't want to do maths, is it maths at uni or quantitative subjects in general? If you don't want to do any quantitative subjects, then you don't need maths at all. If you want to leave yourself open for subjects like CS, economics, finance, data science, then you would need A Level Maths.

Other required and semi-required subjects include:

History

Modern Languages

Classics, Latin, and Greek

Psychology

Geography

Art and design - has coursework

Music

If you're going for subjects that ask for any subjects at A Level, then it's likely you would want to keep your subject choices diverse. If your chosen uni is particularly picky, you might also want to keep your subjects as academic as possible (business isn't particularly academic per se). Religious studies would make your A Level options diverse, but if you want something else you can consider:

Languages (which can be considered equivalent of B2 under the CEFR framework at A Level)

Classics

Computer Science (if you don't consider it a science or maths)

Philosophy

Politics

Psychology

What I don't necessarily recommend is doing economics alongside business, because some unis consider the subjects too similar/too much overlap.

Also, whilst you're living in France, you are technically picking International A Levels (because commuting to the UK to take exams and get your coursework assessed is a pain). Looking at the 3 main exam boards for international A Levels, you don't need to do coursework for geography for iAL (you do for UK A Levels). See the following specs:
https://www.oxfordaqa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/oxfordaqa-international-as-and-a-level-geography-specification.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Geography/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/IAL-Geography-Specification.pdf
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/664556-2025-2026-syllabus.pdf
In other words, you can do Geography iAL without coursework should you wish.

I don’t want to do maths in any aspect really, I wouldn’t mind going into finance but I know I don’t need maths A-Level for that. Unfortunately my A-Levels aren’t international, seen as my online school is seen as being enrolled in the uk so geography is required with course work and field work which I can’t do since it has to be studied in the uk. I’m more than happy to go religious studies since I’ve always had an interest for it, I just wanted to check it was a good subject to have for uni which as you said it would keep my options diverse. Thank you so much for helping me out.
Original post by summer0306
I don’t want to do maths in any aspect really, I wouldn’t mind going into finance but I know I don’t need maths A-Level for that. Unfortunately my A-Levels aren’t international, seen as my online school is seen as being enrolled in the uk so geography is required with course work and field work which I can’t do since it has to be studied in the uk. I’m more than happy to go religious studies since I’ve always had an interest for it, I just wanted to check it was a good subject to have for uni which as you said it would keep my options diverse. Thank you so much for helping me out.

Wasn't entirely sure whether you noted that not all geography degrees require Geography as an A Level. Just wanted to point it out again just in case.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Wasn't entirely sure whether you noted that not all geography degrees require Geography as an A Level. Just wanted to point it out again just in case.

No worries. Thanks for ur help!

Quick Reply

Latest