The Student Room Group

Parents slam Great Yarmouth academy school

Are they right to be concerned, is the academy being too strict? www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-41228803
This is a well known tactic for improving failing schools. It works.
Sounds like a prison.
"detention for dental appointments taken during school hours"

"Children have been told to be in bed by 21:30 every night and up at 06:30, and warned those claiming to feel sick during lessons would be handed a bucket to vomit in instead of being allowed to leave classrooms"

"A document shared with the BBC revealed the standards of discipline expected from pupils. The 22-page document included the following:

If you slouch, interrupt, talk, pick up your pen or open a book before you receive the signal, if you turn around, if you nudge your friend, if you make eye contact with your friend, if you look anywhere apart from at your teacher, the board or your work - you will be punished.

You never get out of your chair without permission at Charter.

In corridors, we walk in single file on the left. No bags on our backs. No turning round.

At Charter you listen to every single word your teacher says very, very carefully. You don't pick up your pen or your ruler, or anything else, until your teacher gives you the signal."

Every time a story like this is in the news, there's a chorus of people celebrating "discipline" and saying to "stop moaning, and support the school" and other stuff to defend the school, and it's really really irritating.

That is not a reasonable level of discipline, it's simply ridiculous regardless of whether it's a failing school or not. That bit about the sick bucket in particular is just unbelievable if true. Schools should not be run like boot camps.
Banning mobile phones? Hardly strict. Most schools have similar policies. As for being distracted in lessons - again, most schools worth their salt have this sort of policy. Low level behaviour is where poor teaching stems from. As for going to bed at 9.30pm. That is just good advice.
Apart from banning dental appointments in school hours, I pretty much agree with everything else.
The dental appointments part is pretty bad on their part, it certainly doesn’t warrant a punishment
The bed advice is just advice and really isn’t something that the school (or parents can control) . I guess I understand the sentiment of the bucket though most schools have medical rooms for that very reason, and they’d be sent back to class if it appeared they were faking it.
The next few bits seem overly restrictive. Yes they’re bad habits and you’d be advised not to do it, but I’m sure it may up having the reverse effect in the long run
The corridors thing is quite stupid, a lot of people have backpacks for books, and it all it achieves is inconvenience. There’s a difference between expecting people to walk in a single file and enforcing it, I doubt that they can enforce it well enough for it to work
It seems a perfect training school for those that aspire to work in warehouses or call centres.
Reply 8
With the exams results being so dismal, you would think the parents would support the school trying to set standards and improve but so typical of British parents to either take no interest in their kids' education or oppose the school.

In most Asian countries, the school would be criticised for being too soft, not too hard.

No wonder kids can spend 12 years in school and come out illiterate and innumerate.
Original post by Maker
With the exams results being so dismal, you would think the parents would support the school trying to set standards and improve but so typical of British parents to either take no interest in their kids' education or oppose the school.

In most Asian countries, the school would be criticised for being too soft, not too hard.

No wonder kids can spend 12 years in school and come out illiterate and innumerate.

Most schools manage fine without ridiculous boot camp levels of discipline where kids are forced to use sick buckets in class among other things. That school sounds like a prison and if I had kids I would absolutely not send them somewhere like that if I had a choice, and I definitely would have hated being sent there myself.

I don't understand why there is always blind support for the school when these stories come out, as though it is somehow impossible for a school to ever be in the wrong and unreasonable with how they run things.

And the Asian system is not something we should be aspiring to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending