The Student Room Group

Getting voluntary work

I’ve contacted 6 care homes so far asking if I could go down and do some voluntary work, however they’ve all rejected me as I don’t have a DBS check or I’m not 18 or they “don’t need help. All I want to do is just be able to spend some time there with the people to help rear my care skills and develop more as a person.

As I’m finding it virtually impossible to volunteer anywhere around me (I live near Llanelli) I was wondering how unfavourably would this look on my medicine application? I’m involved in helping out with many extra curricular things in school and I did a solo charity bike ride last year around Wales, however it’s all focused on one age group primarily.

Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steffan.
Don't worry too much, I was in a similar situation to you when I was applying!

Remember that what you gain from the experience is more important than the precise nature - it's common for applicants to get hung up over not having 'medical' work experience (although definitely good) - being able to reflect on that experience and how it has changed your perspective or skills you’ve developed that can translate into being a medical student/doctor is what most medical schools are looking for.

I’m currently doing medicine at UEA and when I applied my experience looked a little like this:

- 1 hour a week volunteering at a stroke charity for 8 months (it wasn’t medical as such and involved making teas and playing card games but it showed commitment and compassion and improved my communication skills with the older age groups which is what majority of patients will be when you’re working)
- 3 days at A&E local hospital (I found it difficult to get any clinical experience and medical schools will understand this - I contacted my local hospital volunteers role page who managed to get forward me onto contacts)
- 5 days working in microbiology (helped me realised that I’d prefer a job which involved more communication)

As you can see my experience isn’t that 'medical'. Try getting contacts via your school careers advisor or contacting local charities that might have support groups with volunteering roles available.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Task UEA Official UG Rep
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Don't worry too much, I was in a similar situation to you when I was applying!

Remember that what you gain from the experience is more important than the precise nature - it's common for applicants to get hung up over not having 'medical' work experience (although definitely good) - being able to reflect on that experience and how it has changed your perspective or skills you’ve developed that can translate into being a medical student/doctor is what most medical schools are looking for.

I’m currently doing medicine at UEA and when I applied my experience looked a little like this:

- 1 hour a week volunteering at a stroke charity for 8 months (it wasn’t medical as such and involved making teas and playing card games but it showed commitment and compassion and improved my communication skills with the older age groups which is what majority of patients will be when you’re working)
- 3 days at A&E local hospital (I found it difficult to get any clinical experience and medical schools will understand this - I contacted my local hospital volunteers role page who managed to get forward me onto contacts)
- 5 days working in microbiology (helped me realised that I’d prefer a job which involved more communication)

As you can see my experience isn’t that 'medical'. Try getting contacts via your school careers advisor or contacting local charities that might have support groups with volunteering roles available.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Task UEA Official UG Rep

Thank you very much for that reply! Very useful. I’ll try and find a role within a local charity and hopefully that’ll be more successful than previous attempts at care homes!
Original post by SteffGwyn350
I’ve contacted 6 care homes so far asking if I could go down and do some voluntary work, however they’ve all rejected me as I don’t have a DBS check or I’m not 18 or they “don’t need help. All I want to do is just be able to spend some time there with the people to help rear my care skills and develop more as a person.

As I’m finding it virtually impossible to volunteer anywhere around me (I live near Llanelli) I was wondering how unfavourably would this look on my medicine application? I’m involved in helping out with many extra curricular things in school and I did a solo charity bike ride last year around Wales, however it’s all focused on one age group primarily.

Thanks,
Steffan.

Can't you just get a DBS check done?
Anyway, personally in terms of my volunteering I helped with an autistic child whilst volunteering beavers. Having experience with children is also useful, so if you have a local beaver/cub/scout group or similair this could be useful.
I also volunteer in a hospital cafe.
Original post by AzureCeleste
Can't you just get a DBS check done?
Anyway, personally in terms of my volunteering I helped with an autistic child whilst volunteering beavers. Having experience with children is also useful, so if you have a local beaver/cub/scout group or similair this could be useful.
I also volunteer in a hospital cafe.

Unfortunately I can’t afford to get one done at the moment. I do a lot with children in my school so that should help. Thanks for putting my mind more at ease!
Unfortunately I can’t afford to get one done at the moment. I do a lot with children in my school so that should help. Thanks for putting my mind more at ease!

As Volibear said above, often they will pay it for you-occasionally on the off chance some don't but most want your help so tend to pay for you

Thanks,
Steffan.

Hi Steffan,

Most medical schools do look favourably on voluntary work experience - you can see a breakdown of the kinds of work experience that each UK med school looks for on our Medical School Work Experience Requirements page.

You might also find this blog useful - Struggling to Gain Medical Work Experience? Your Next Steps.

You could also consider volunteering in your local charity shops, a library or at schools if you're struggling to find a care home.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi Steffan,

Most medical schools do look favourably on voluntary work experience - you can see a breakdown of the kinds of work experience that each UK med school looks for on our Medical School Work Experience Requirements page.

You might also find this blog useful - Struggling to Gain Medical Work Experience? Your Next Steps.

You could also consider volunteering in your local charity shops, a library or at schools if you're struggling to find a care home.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Thank you very much! The links were very helpful👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending