The Student Room Group

Tips for revising on a computer and printing out stuff

I physically can't revise on paper (don't ask) so if anyone's done this before what's ur advice? What programs to use? Mind maps? Flash cards? Anything is appreciated :tongue:
Original post by idrc
I physically can't revise on paper (don't ask) so if anyone's done this before what's ur advice? What programs to use? Mind maps? Flash cards? Anything is appreciated :tongue:

Personally, I like to type up my subject notes on Google Docs. I'm at university, so I've got folders for each of my modules (for GCSE or A level these could be your subjects), then a series of documents covering the main topic areas, with detailed notes within them. The reason I prefer Google docs over something like Word is because Google docs automatically saves your work every few seconds, so you don't run the risk of accidentally forgetting to save or losing unsaved work if your computer crashes, for example.

When revising, my strategy is reading through my notes and going over them until I've memorised them, then going through past papers and typing out answers from memory to check my understanding.

Honestly I've never found things like mind maps useful, but there are lots of mind map applications and online services out there. I haven't tried it, but MindMapFree.com appears to be free with no registration needed, which is something you could try. The same goes for flashcards, though I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations as I don't use them.

I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Personally, I like to type up my subject notes on Google Docs. I'm at university, so I've got folders for each of my modules (for GCSE or A level these could be your subjects), then a series of documents covering the main topic areas, with detailed notes within them. The reason I prefer Google docs over something like Word is because Google docs automatically saves your work every few seconds, so you don't run the risk of accidentally forgetting to save or losing unsaved work if your computer crashes, for example.

When revising, my strategy is reading through my notes and going over them until I've memorised them, then going through past papers and typing out answers from memory to check my understanding.

Honestly I've never found things like mind maps useful, but there are lots of mind map applications and online services out there. I haven't tried it, but MindMapFree.com appears to be free with no registration needed, which is something you could try. The same goes for flashcards, though I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations as I don't use them.

I hope that helps :smile:

Thank you! I'll be trying google docs and I might try looking for ways to print off flash cards.
Original post by idrc
Thank you! I'll be trying google docs and I might try looking for ways to print off flash cards.

No problem, good luck :smile:
Reply 4
a really great website called quizlet loads of people have already made flashcards and notes on what you need to know. You can even make some yourself and it saves the trouble of writing it out and actually helps you revise easier in print. You can also go over the lessons and powerpoints online, wherever you go.
Reply 5
Original post by fifi.a
a really great website called quizlet loads of people have already made flashcards and notes on what you need to know. You can even make some yourself and it saves the trouble of writing it out and actually helps you revise easier in print. You can also go over the lessons and powerpoints online, wherever you go.

I just signed up it looks so cool thanks! :biggrin:
I've started using OneNote.
it can be used across devices and it's great having my notes on my phone after making them on my laptop (most functions) and tablet (drawing and writing with a stylus). notes can be made on the phone app too.
if you have office 365 it integrates too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by RuthieG101
I've started using OneNote.
it can be used across devices and it's great having my notes on my phone after making them on my laptop (most functions) and tablet (drawing and writing with a stylus). notes can be made on the phone app too.
if you have office 365 it integrates too.

I just checked and I already have it from the Microsoft pack thing you can get aha I'll try it out. Thank you!
Someones already mentioned it but honestly OneNote is great, you can have it on your laptop and phone and sync your notes up so you can type notes up whilst you're on the go
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Someones already mentioned it but honestly OneNote is great, you can have it on your laptop and phone and sync your notes up so you can type notes up whilst you're on the go

yeah, I mentioned it. it's a good app and I've found that if I have the same page open on my laptop and tablet, when I write on my tablet it shows in almost realtime on my laptop, so it's like my tablet is a slate.
Reply 10
Original post by RuthieG101
yeah, I mentioned it. it's a good app and I've found that if I have the same page open on my laptop and tablet, when I write on my tablet it shows in almost realtime on my laptop, so it's like my tablet is a slate.

I got the app and it is good :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending