The Student Room Group

would it be possible to get a*s?

hello everybody, i am currently predicted ABC for UCAS, however i have a bit of hope that i can achieve better in mocks and eventually my actual a levels? i want to truly believe that if i put in the hard work and effort, i can do this - but to be honest i am actually a bit of a procrastinator (i like to put off schoolwork etc). first off, i want to know whether anyone else has the drive to achieve A*s and As. second of all, is there anyone else who is currently predicted A*s and As for their UCAS, and if so what are their top revision tips? third of all, i would be really grateful to hear from universities and/or current university students (who achieved A*s) with their top advice too! thank you and i hope this makes sense <3
Original post by emm4nuella
hello everybody, i am currently predicted ABC for UCAS, however i have a bit of hope that i can achieve better in mocks and eventually my actual a levels? i want to truly believe that if i put in the hard work and effort, i can do this - but to be honest i am actually a bit of a procrastinator (i like to put off schoolwork etc). first off, i want to know whether anyone else has the drive to achieve A*s and As. second of all, is there anyone else who is currently predicted A*s and As for their UCAS, and if so what are their top revision tips? third of all, i would be really grateful to hear from universities and/or current university students (who achieved A*s) with their top advice too! thank you and i hope this makes sense <3

Hell yea you can. First of all the fact youre predicted ABC is really good. You have a whole year to grow in terms of revision and you most definitely can trust me. I was predicted AAB but in my second year on my first mock for chemistry, I got an E. Whereas in my results I ended up getting a B. Yes it isnt an A but I went up by 3 grades and if i put in even more work, I potentially couldve gotten better. Bare in mind i only started revising 2 months before my actual a levels (pls dont do this :frown:). The way to achieve As and A*s is by consistent revision. I achieved an A* in my psychology a level and thats because its my only A level I actually used to revise for before the assessments and mocks we had. if you do this the whole year for all 3 of your subjects then you can so easily get the grades you want and deserve.

Some revision tips
-go over the content the same day you learn it. (this makes everything easier in the long term as 2nd year flies past)
-use online flashcards e.g quizlet to learn definitions
-make your own flashcards to test yourself on your weak points
-USE EXAM QUESTIONS!!!!

I cant stress enough how important exam questions are in revision. Like honestly so many questions are repeats and worded similarly so if you get through all of your exam boards exam questions for your subject then youll definitely do well. Mark them yourself, be harsh and also learn mark scheme terminology if your going for an A*. Of course before attempting exam questions please learn the content thoroughly AND dont use up all the exam questions before your last couple months of college as theyre kind of fundamental to revise from at that time.

Hope this helps! :smile:
It will be tough f where you are but not impossible

It’s really a 3 step process

1) turn up
2) pay attention
3) do the work

By your own admission, you’ve not been doing the homework which breaks step 3

So, you really need to get on board with the plan and also do all of the work you have missed so far. If you broke rules 1 and 2, you also need to go over that missed work also

Going forward, turn up, pay attention (that’s really important) and so the work.

Do past papers as you go and look at the mark schemes. Work out where you are dropping marks and either correct the way you are answering. Or go back and study the content.

Success in a levels is, in part, down to hard work I’m afraid (though having good teachers will also help, supportive classmates, steady home life etc etc)
Original post by dadadeedadada
Hell yea you can. First of all the fact youre predicted ABC is really good. You have a whole year to grow in terms of revision and you most definitely can trust me. I was predicted AAB but in my second year on my first mock for chemistry, I got an E. Whereas in my results I ended up getting a B. Yes it isnt an A but I went up by 3 grades and if i put in even more work, I potentially couldve gotten better. Bare in mind i only started revising 2 months before my actual a levels (pls dont do this :frown:). The way to achieve As and A*s is by consistent revision. I achieved an A* in my psychology a level and thats because its my only A level I actually used to revise for before the assessments and mocks we had. if you do this the whole year for all 3 of your subjects then you can so easily get the grades you want and deserve.

Some revision tips
-go over the content the same day you learn it. (this makes everything easier in the long term as 2nd year flies past)
-use online flashcards e.g quizlet to learn definitions
-make your own flashcards to test yourself on your weak points
-USE EXAM QUESTIONS!!!!

I cant stress enough how important exam questions are in revision. Like honestly so many questions are repeats and worded similarly so if you get through all of your exam boards exam questions for your subject then youll definitely do well. Mark them yourself, be harsh and also learn mark scheme terminology if your going for an A*. Of course before attempting exam questions please learn the content thoroughly AND dont use up all the exam questions before your last couple months of college as theyre kind of fundamental to revise from at that time.

Hope this helps! :smile:

yes this really does help! thank you so so much <3
hello! i did my alevels this year and got A*A*B in maths computer science and physics respectably ( and a couple marks of an A in physics :frown: but the tests were so hard and different from previous years and my anxiety really got to me)- my biggest tip for maths is maths genie!! i would print out the topics and do everything, also go over past papers and really recognise what you are getting wrong, i realised i was constantly getting u sub in integration wrong so i just banged out loads of questions unti i was confident i got it. helping other students and teaching them really helped me- too- i will say that A2 generally is a lot more difficult than the AS levels but i believe in you if you practice!! with comp sci i just love the subject tbh and would code and do theory in all my free time
yes this really does help! thank you so so much <3

You're welcome and good luck! your're gonna smash it :smile:

thanks for everyone for their great advice so far!! <3

Quick Reply

Latest