The Student Room Group

Math Grade

I got 171/240 and somebody said that was a grade 6. But when I look on the AQA, the Reformed June 2017 Grades say that above 157 is a Grade 8. I'm confused!?
Reply 1
Original post by Lockwood&Co_
I got 171/240 and somebody said that was a grade 6. But when I look on the AQA, the Reformed June 2017 Grades say that above 157 is a Grade 8. I'm confused!?

It would be an 8 according to last year's AQA 9-1 Maths boundaries, but you probably got a lower grade because your school are using higher boundaries. This is because next year the boundaries are likely to increase if candidates do better this year. Last year there were no past papers so students couldn't have as much practice.

I am doing Edexcel Maths 2018. Last year you needed 190/240 (I think) for a grade 9, but my school use using 200/240 for the grade 9 boundaries.

Here's last year's AQA maths boundaries:
EDIT: I accidentally cut out the grade numbers, sorry, but 189 is grade 9 and so on.
aqa maths boundaries.PNG
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi
It would be an 8 according to last year's AQA 9-1 Maths boundaries, but you probably got a lower grade because your school are using higher boundaries. This is because next year the boundaries are likely to increase if candidates do better this year. Last year there were no past papers so students couldn't have as much practice.

I am doing Edexcel Maths 2018. Last year you needed 190/240 (I think) for a grade 9, but my school use using 200/240 for the grade 9 boundaries.

Here's last year's AQA maths boundaries:
EDIT: I accidentally cut out the grade numbers, sorry, but 189 is grade 9 and so on.
aqa maths boundaries.PNG

Oh Okay. That makes sense. So I should be upping my game because the grade boundaries are more fixated and tougher now?
Thank You
Some schools have higher boundaries. Last year, my school predicted 225/240 for a 9 but it was actually 189. Probably a similar case in your school. School boundaries will rise this year - last year's cohort began learning the new spec in year 10/11 ish but since you guys started in year 9 and teachers are more familiar with it, national performance will increase leading me to think it may be around 205-ish for a 9.
Original post by thekidwhogames
Some schools have higher boundaries. Last year, my school predicted 225/240 for a 9 but it was actually 189. Probably a similar case in your school. School boundaries will rise this year - last year's cohort began learning the new spec in year 10/11 ish but since you guys started in year 9 and teachers are more familiar with it, national performance will increase leading me to think it may be around 205-ish for a 9.

Oh! Okay. So you have to be achieving above 65 in all 3 of your papers or something similar to that?
Oh! Okay. So you have to be achieving above 65 in all 3 of your papers or something similar to that?

For my school or last year's boundary or this predicted? I think 67-70 will be a 9 this year.
Reply 6
Oh Okay. That makes sense. So I should be upping my game because the grade boundaries are more fixated and tougher now?
Thank You

I would say, aim to get about 10 - 15 marks above last years grade boundary. I can't see the grade 9 boundary being higher than about 205 and the grade 8 boundary being higher than around 170. The boundaries will change by quite a lot over time (lets say over around 10 years), however they are not going to drastically change over 1 year. If the paper is really hard this year and people don't do as well the boundaries might not increase though.
Original post by Loci Pi
I would say, aim to get about 10 - 15 marks above last years grade boundary. I can't see the grade 9 boundary being higher than about 205 and the grade 8 boundary being higher than around 170. The boundaries will change by quite a lot over time (lets say over around 10 years), however they are not going to drastically change over 1 year. If the paper is really hard this year and people don't do as well the boundaries might not increase though.

Okay. Thank You
Reply 8
Original post by thekidwhogames

That's assuming the papers are similar in difficulty to last year. It's all still a but of an unknown but if I was to guess I'd agree with you and say that boundaries will rise.
Reply 9
Okay. Thank You

No problem :smile:
Original post by Notnek
That's assuming the papers are similar in difficulty to last year. It's all still a but of an unknown but if I was to guess I'd agree with you and say that boundaries will rise.

Oh yeah, I didn't take that into consideration but it'll be interesting to see what the last questions on the paper are this year.

Quick Reply

Latest