The Student Room Group

A Level options

I am due to start year 12. I would like to get into Econ or a finance related degree at Durham, UCL or KCL but need a grade A in Maths A Level (for Economics). My predicted grade for iGCSE was 6 so I shied away from choosing A Level Maths until now as I have a strong desire to study at one of the mentioned universities . I am waiting for results day to find out. Will it be too ambitious for me to pick A Level Maths should I achieve a grade 7?

From my own research, I believed that it is better to get a grade 8/9 to pursue Maths in order to get a grade A.
Original post by Hospitality
I am due to start year 12. I would like to get into Econ or a finance related degree at Durham, UCL or KCL but need a grade A in Maths A Level (for Economics). My predicted grade for iGCSE was 6 so I shied away from choosing A Level Maths until now as I have a strong desire to study at one of the mentioned universities . I am waiting for results day to find out. Will it be too ambitious for me to pick A Level Maths should I achieve a grade 7?

From my own research, I believed that it is better to get a grade 8/9 to pursue Maths in order to get a grade A.

If you want to do Econ, then I don't think not doing A Level Maths is a choice.

A Levels are generally different to iGCSEs (your grades are not much of a reliable indicator), so there's a chance that you might shine through if you work really hard and use the right strategies e.g. I have friends who scored 6/7s and walked away with As. It's not impossible, but it's going to take quite a bit of work.

The other thing you would also need to bear in mind is whether your chosen college would allow you to do A Level Maths with the grades you have. Whilst A Levels don't have any grade requirements or require prior qualifications in order for you to do them, the college you attend might have (don't ask).

You also have the option of doing more than 3 A Levels at some colleges. If Maths doesn't work out for you, you can drop it as an AS and then finish off the remaining 3. However, this would depend on the individual college.

I say you should go for it.
Reply 2
I would definitely advise you do some science
Reply 3
Original post by Sallysmol
I would definitely advise you do some science

Science sounds like a good option. I like Biology and know there is some maths involved in it. However, those specific universities require Maths as a criteria.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
If you want to do Econ, then I don't think not doing A Level Maths is a choice.

A Levels are generally different to iGCSEs (your grades are not much of a reliable indicator), so there's a chance that you might shine through if you work really hard and use the right strategies e.g. I have friends who scored 6/7s and walked away with As. It's not impossible, but it's going to take quite a bit of work.

The other thing you would also need to bear in mind is whether your chosen college would allow you to do A Level Maths with the grades you have. Whilst A Levels don't have any grade requirements or require prior qualifications in order for you to do them, the college you attend might have (don't ask).

You also have the option of doing more than 3 A Levels at some colleges. If Maths doesn't work out for you, you can drop it as an AS and then finish off the remaining 3. However, this would depend on the individual college.

I say you should go for it.

My Sixth Form offer this option. If I do not like it and drop it at AS Levels, will the university look at my “not so grade” in Maths at AS level when applying - will that not influence their decision?
Or do they just look at the three best A Level results?
Original post by Hospitality
My Sixth Form offer this option. If I do not like it and drop it at AS Levels, will the university look at my “not so grade” in Maths at AS level when applying - will that not influence their decision?
Or do they just look at the three best A Level results?

It would depend on the individual university's admissions department - I can't speak for anyone.
However, most universities explicitly state that they would look at your best 3 A Levels. Anything else, they would ignore. Of course, they would prioritise the essential subjects first, and ensure you have the full A Levels for them as well as the grades.

Do note, if you want to do a straight finance degree, you will likely need A Level Maths anyway.
The only type of finance degrees where you don't necessarily need A Level maths is the sort of degrees where it's half accounting i.e. accounting and finance, but this would vary from uni to uni. This is because accounting generally don't require A Level Maths (it's more GCSE level maths), but they might throw in very quantitative finance modules where you might need to know calculus and series/sequences on top (where A Level Maths cover this).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending