The Student Room Group

Chinese pres to become emperor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
for 3 reasons
1] Because you're wrong
2] Because you come across as a thoroughly unpleasant little person who doesnt take it well some one disagrees with them
3] Because you're rather boorish.

oh and 4 - because you seem to have a perverse interest in sources for an only debate. Tell me would you demand someone at a debating competition provide you with a bibliography?

Original post by Napp
You have yet to make a single point backed up by a shred of evidence

Original post by Napp
Is this coming from the person who hasnt supplied any sources

Oh. I believe this is what people called "the joke that writes itself".

"you seem to have a perverse interest in sources for an only debate. Tell me would you demand someone at a debating competition provide you with a bibliography?"

"you're wrong"

"you come across as a thoroughly unpleasant little person who doesnt take it well some one disagrees with them"
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Little Toy Gun

Or do you want a literal, conventional invasion? How about Tibet? They quite literally drove their army into Tibet and that's why the Dalai Lama fled.

That is a lie. Dalai Lama didnt flee because of China putting down a rebellion in Tibet, in fact he stayed in China for 8 years afterwards? He only left because of political instability and as a result of that not getting the policies he want.

Go and watch Dalai Lama's speech , he bragged about being friends with Mao Tze Tung, even called him comrades.

And of course North Korea only exists because of China to begin with.

Wrong, the problem with the koreas begin because Japan invaded Korea and told them that they are the second superior race in Asia, kind of like hitler's Aryan race theory ********. And then they became crazy over that afterwards.

They already have an overseas military base in Djibouti, controlling also Ethiopia's supply and export routes. They are considering building military bases in Pakistan, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka. .

Nothing wrong with that, US have over 900 military bases worldwide, including some where they drive out native population to sustain eg. Diego Garcia

They have recently launched the "one belt, one road" initiative as an attempt to dominate the world economically.

More competition to the US controlled infrastructures, sounds good. Now we have more choices.

They have on-going territorial disputes with India (a military standoff happened just last year), Bhutan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Pakistan, The Philippines, Malaysia, Japan, and Brunei. That is, of course, without counting Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Its true but its overblown and exaggerated out of context by the Main Stream Media. The truth that there are territorial disputes between all the countries you name above even without China. Overlapping claims between countries in the South China Sea isn't China vs The rest of the SEA countries, but everyone against everyone. Philippines is the biggest scum in this dispute because they funded terrorist to assert their claim. 2-3 years ago they sent terrorist to invade Sabah and claim it as their territory and now they pretend like they are the victim.

I am perfectly okay with China invading Philippines, enemy of my enemy.

They're already ruling over regions that are not Han Chinese such as Tibet, East Turkestan, Inner Mongolia, Manchuria, Yunnan, Guangxi. .

In a decade more or so the population demographic will change, if fact it is already changing now. So it is a non story.

Do you really think none of these amount to throwing their weight around much? They don't do as much as the US and Russia do only because they are not yet able to do that..

Original post by Drewski

Your point shouldn't be that they haven't done X. It's that they haven't yet. They're coming.

yeah i am capable of stealing, rob, murder rape and i am guilty for being capable even though i didnt do that yet? Have we reach the point like in minority report where we persecute someone before they commit a crime.

... Japan is a democracy.

Not trying to dispute the overall point, but saying japan is a democracy is like saying russia is a democracy, where the same party has held power as long as ............the CCP.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
That is a lie. Dalai Lama didnt flee because of China putting down a rebellion in Tibet, in fact he stayed in China for 8 years afterwards? He only left because of political instability and as a result of that not getting the policies he want.

Go and watch Dalai Lama's speech , he bragged about being friends with Mao Tze Tung, even called him comrades.

The Tibetan uprising began on 10 March 1959.

The Dalai Lama went to India on 30 March 1959.

I may not be good at maths, but is 20 days "8 years"?

Wrong, the problem with the koreas begin because Japan invaded Korea and told them that they are the second superior race in Asia, kind of like hitler's Aryan race theory ********. And then they became crazy over that afterwards.

Someone didn't study the history of the Korea war, did they? Mixing your wars up? Don't worry, it happens to the best of us, even though you're confusing the Japanese occupation of Korea decades prior to China helping North Korea defeat the US-backed South Korea.

Nothing wrong with that, US have over 900 military bases worldwide, including some where they drive out native population to sustain eg. Diego Garcia

Once again, I am not the US, China isn't the US and so what the US does or does not do have absolutely nothing to do with this. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

And it's not about being "right" or "wrong", it's about a potential enemy becoming more and more powerful beyond its borders.

Its true but its overblown and exaggerated out of context by the Main Stream Media. The truth that there are territorial disputes between all the countries you name above even without China. Overlapping claims between countries in the South China Sea isn't China vs The rest of the SEA countries, but everyone against everyone. Philippines is the biggest scum in this dispute because they funded terrorist to assert their claim. 2-3 years ago they sent terrorist to invade Sabah and claim it as their territory and now they pretend like they are the victim.

Once again you're saying 2 wrongs do make a right.

The Philippines even has the idea of a "greater Philippines", and if they do act on that, that would be imperialistic.

I am perfectly okay with China invading Philippines, enemy of my enemy.

Whilst the current Filipino president is critical of western leaders, the country has traditionally be an ally of the west/NATO, not an enemy.

Guess someone hasn't really paid enough attention to international relations!

In a decade more or so the population demographic will change, if fact it is already changing now. So it is a non story.

...So since in the future they will be able to wash away the ethnic minorities, they are not now ruling over other ethnic groups??

What kind of logic is that? My point is that they already are an empire now, and they are.

eah i am capable of stealing, rob, murder rape and i am guilty for being capable even though i didnt do that yet? Have we reach the point like in minority report where we persecute someone before they commit a crime.

Right. So the Vietnam war didn't count. The Korean war didn't count. The suppression of ethnic minority territories didn't count. The military stand-off with India just last year didn't count. The occupying of Spratly islands and the installing of military facilities don't count. The continued isolation and threat against Taiwan doesn't count. The tightening of freedom in Hong Kong doesn't count.

Not trying to dispute the overall point, but saying japan is a democracy is like saying russia is a democracy, where the same party has held power as long as ............the CCP.

Japan's democracy is flawed, partly due to its culture, partly due to its electoral system, but to compare Japan's democracy to Russia's just demonstrates your ultra-ignorance of global affairs.

Japan doesn't rig its elections, Japan has voters going out to vote for their politicians, Japan has prime ministers that are accountable to their people to an extent, Japan has party politics and the opposition isn't jailed and prosecuted. So no, it's not like saying Russia is a democracy at all - Putin is personally, actually popular, and even in completely fair elections, he might still win, but that doesn't change the fact that none of those things above apply to Russia.

Your idea of democracy seems to be that it's either all or nothing. That's not how it's like in the real world. The level of democracy is a spectrum, with some democracies being more democratic (eg UK), with some being less democratic (eg Ecuador). The reasons could be structural (eg Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, USA), could be due to their brand of nationalism (eg Singapore, Perú), could be due to a certain level of malpractice (eg México, Malaysia), could be due to its current political culture (eg USA), but that doesn't mean they have varying levels of democracy.

Don't believe me? The Democracy Index ranks Japan at No 23, right behind the USA and Italy, right above Chile and Portugal.

Russia? No 135, behind Qatar and Rwanda, and just above Zimbabwe.

To see it so incredibly reductively "oh it's always only this one party winning elections so it's clearly not a democracy" is so absurd you'd be saying México suddenly became a democracy in the 2000s when an opposition party finally won the presidency, when in reality the level of democracy was similar some time before that; in fact, you should be saying Russia is indeed a full-fledged democracy because the presidency was won by both independents and United Russia, and there was even a change of party from the Communist Party to an independent!
The Tibetan uprising began on 10 March 1959. The Dalai Lama went to India on 30 March 1959. I may not be good at maths, but is 20 days "8 years"?

This one.

On 7 October 1950,[6] The People's Liberation Army invaded the Tibetan area of Chamdo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tibet_(1950%E2%80%93present)#1950%E2%80%931955:_Traditional_systems

Someone didn't study the history of the Korea war, did they? Mixing your wars up? Don't worry, it happens to the best of us, even though you're confusing the Japanese occupation of Korea decades prior to China helping North Korea defeat the US-backed South Korea.

I was refering to how koreans become so crazy and lead to the korean war and then to china having to intervene during the end stage of korean war due to security concerns. There is no reason for the way north korea behaves today, threatening everyone with nuclear annihilation, the only reason i see it, is they are just crazy.

Once again, I am not the US, China isn't the US and so what the US does or does not do have absolutely nothing to do with this. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

And it's not about being "right" or "wrong", it's about a potential enemy becoming more and more powerful beyond its borders.

Once again you're saying 2 wrongs do make a right.

The Philippines even has the idea of a "greater Philippines", and if they do act on that, that would be imperialistic.

2 wrongs dont make 1 right, only if they were wrong at the first place. There is no such thing as wrong or right in the world of international politics. History is written by the victors.

Whilst the current Filipino president is critical of western leaders, the country has traditionally be an ally of the west/NATO, not an enemy.

Guess someone hasn't really paid enough attention to international relations!.

???? i didnt say they aren't ?

...So since in the future they will be able to wash away the ethnic minorities, they are not now ruling over other ethnic groups??

What kind of logic is that? My point is that they already are an empire now, and they are..

I am hinting and expressing optimism that good times are ahead. Not everything is a criticism in my post.

Right. So the Vietnam war didn't count. The Korean war didn't count. The suppression of ethnic minority territories didn't count. The military stand-off with India just last year didn't count. The occupying of Spratly islands and the installing of military facilities don't count. The continued isolation and threat against Taiwan doesn't count. The tightening of freedom in Hong Kong doesn't count.

Vietnam war - was done to protect vietnam against US invasion.
Korean war - was only done as a last ditch attempt to prevent US invading north east China. Justified
Suppression of ethnic minority territories - if its true then i would be critical of it.
Military stand off with India - It was india who started it by assaulting unarmed construction workers, who would do things like that??
Spratley island - I dont agree exactly with this move, but i would ask, was any human being hurt?
Taiwan - maybe give back the treasures they rob from the forbidden city is a good place to start, and all other things they stolen.
Hong kong - the freest economy in the world in 2017. Well done hong kong!

Japan's democracy is flawed, partly due to its culture, partly due to its electoral system, but to compare Japan's democracy to Russia's just demonstrates your ultra-i - bla bla bla

Here comes the most important point in this thread, and i guess i have set this up perfectly and got you.

If you think there is nothing wrong for the same party to be in power for as long as the CCP has existed, then there is nothing wrong about Chinese president removing term limit and become president for longer than the he should be. Dont moan about it. Embrace it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 44
x

You'll have better luck debating the wind than this user chap. All they do is shout and swear without actually making any form of argument bar hearsay and outright fibs.
Original post by Napp
You'll have better luck debating the wind than this user chap. All they do is shout and swear without actually making any form of argument bar hearsay and outright fibs.

You're talking about yourself. Someone who said I didn't provide any evidence, even though I did; then said I was obsessed with having sources, even though it was you who asked for it.

Are you really that deluded?

---

Just to clear the air for everyone else: I provided arguments with support from for example The Financial Times and the IMF. I used official figures from the Chinese governments. This poster used guesstimates that were inaccurate and was not even aware of the other factors.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 46
You're talking about yourself. Someone who said I didn't provide any evidence, even though I did; then said I was obsessed with having sources, even though it was you who asked for it.

Are you really that deluded?

---

Just to clear the air for everyone else: I provided arguments with support from for example The Financial Times and the IMF. I used official figures from the Chinese governments. This poster used guesstimates that were inaccurate and was not even aware of the other factors.

Sour grapes :roll eyes:
Original post by Napp
Sour grapes :roll eyes:

I'm guessing you don't know what the term "sour grapes" means.

It's something to do with jealousy, just so you know.

The word you were perhaps looking for was "sour loser", but I guess you knew you were the obvious sour loser in this debate and so you had the dignity not to use it.

China made a deal with the Tibetan government after that, granting them autonomy. But then they broke their promise, leading to the rebellion and the Dalai Lama's exile.

Learn the history of it, not one single event.

I was refering to how koreans become so crazy and lead to the korean war and then to china having to intervene during the end stage of korean war due to security concerns. There is no reason for the way north korea behaves today, threatening everyone with nuclear annihilation, the only reason i see it, is they are just crazy.

Which has absolutely nothing at all to do with whether North Korea was and is propped up by the Chinese government, the only point I made regarding that.

2 wrongs dont make 1 right, only if they were wrong at the first place. There is no such thing as wrong or right in the world of international politics. History is written by the victors.

I've already responded to this point.

Ever if you don't see that as wrong, it's still an imperialistic move. It's still increasing its influence over the world.

Vietnam war - was done to protect vietnam against US invasion.
Korean war - was only done as a last ditch attempt to prevent US invading north east China. Justified

Not from a western point of view and that is all that matters in terms of whether it's a good thing for the UK.

Suppression of ethnic minority territories - if its true then i would be critical of it.

Let's just ignore the massacres since they happened quite a while ago, but they are now banning Muslims from owning knives or giving their children Muslim-sounding names.

Military stand off with India - It was india who started it by assaulting unarmed construction workers, who would do things like that??

From India's point of view, much like from the Chinese point of view, that land belongs to them. Foreign countries can't randomly start construction work on your sovereign territory without prior permission.

Spratley island - I dont agree exactly with this move, but i would ask, was any human being hurt?

So the Cuban missile crisis was totally a non-issue then? Why was the Soviet Union even upset with the missiles installed in Turkey?

Silly countries, no human was hurt!

Also, building on what other countries claim to be their sovereign territories.

Taiwan - maybe give back the treasures they rob from the forbidden city is a good place to start, and all other things they stolen.

Oh right, that's really the reason, official or unofficial, why China threatens Taiwan and isolates them internationally...

I guess you don't really know the history regarding the civil war either, then?

Hong kong - the freest economy in the world in 2017. Well done hong kong!

Oh, economic freedom is the only freedom now?

Disqualifying elected legislators from taking their seats wasn't tightening freedom?

Barring certain people from standing as a candidate in an election wasn't tightening freedom?

Stopping citizens from travelling to a foreign country isn't tightening freedom?

If you think there is nothing wrong for the same party to be in power for as long as the CCP has existed, then there is nothing wrong about Chinese president removing term limit and become president for longer than the he should be. Dont moan about it. Embrace it.

I said Japan had a flawed democracy, but a level of democracy, as internationally recognized, higher than that of Russia and indeed China.

Nowhere did I say it was perfectly fine, or that they were as democratic as anyone could be. I said Japan had a flawed democracy.

Do you know the word "flaw"?
Reply 49
I'm guessing you don't know what the term "sour grapes" means.

It's something to do with jealousy, just so you know.

The word you were perhaps looking for was "sour loser", but I guess you knew you were the obvious sour loser in this debate and so you had the dignity not to use it.

If you say so kiddo :smile:
Original post by Napp
If you say so kiddo :smile:

I find it very difficult to accept that someone could be so deluded, what's with your many posts being simply formed of words and phrases that contain no rebuttals or evidence of any kind, so I have to assume you just can't accept being wrong, indeed like how many elderly people are like.

I gave you arguments, I gave you evidence from reputable sources, and all you offer is childish comebacks that aren't always even accurate.
Reply 51
I find it very difficult to accept that someone could be so deluded, what's with your many posts being simply formed of words and phrases that contain no rebuttals or evidence of any kind, so I have to assume you just can't accept being wrong, indeed like how many elderly people are like.

I gave you arguments, I gave you evidence from reputable sources, and all you offer is childish comebacks that aren't always even accurate.

You seem to come across as overly thin skinned, you get very upset from losing a debate on an online forum for instance - you should probably look to address this
Original post by Napp
You seem to come across as overly thin skinned, you get very upset from losing a debate on an online forum for instance - you should probably look to address this

Indeed, you should probably address that, as the person who is following the thread (you didn't open) and even responded to someone who wasn't even quoting or addressing or referencing you.

It is my job to educate people, and I have done that with you, providing to you the evidence to correct your inaccurate claims, but it's always frustrating when someone isn't open to be taught, and instead, perhaps out of embarrassment, throws out only random insults and 0 rebuttal to anything.

Your way of viewing this is...interesting. If you don't wish for me to respond to your comments, then you shouldn't post anything in a thread I started, with a comment that attacks me. At the end of the time, I remain the one who has provided substantiated claims, the one who is getting the information out there, and the one who is a fellow of Royal Asiatic Society.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 53
Indeed, you should probably address that, as the person who is following the thread (you didn't open) and even responded to someone who wasn't even quoting or addressing or referencing you.

It is my job to educate people, and I have done that with you, providing to you the evidence to correct your inaccurate claims, but it's always frustrating when someone isn't open to be taught, and instead, perhaps out of embarrassment, throws out only random insults and 0 rebuttal to anything.

Your way of viewing this is...interesting. If you don't wish for me to respond to your comments, then you shouldn't post anything in a thread I started, with a comment that attacks me. At the end of the time, I remain the one who has provided substantiated claims, the one who is getting the information out there, and the one who is a fellow of Royal Asiatic Society.

If you say so old boy :smile:
Original post by Napp
If you say so old boy :smile:

Facts are facts. I'm sorry if you're allergic to them.
Reply 55
Facts are facts. I'm sorry if you're allergic to them.

Of course :smile:
Original post by Napp
Of course :smile:

Why are you still quoting and giving me notifications when you clearly have nothing to add?
China made a deal with the Tibetan government after that, granting them autonomy. But then they broke their promise, leading to the rebellion and the Dalai Lama's exile. Learn the history of it, not one single event.
ok? Which is why i said dalai lama fled because he didnt get the policies he wanted 8 years afterwards
Which has absolutely nothing at all to do with whether North Korea was and is propped up by the Chinese government, the only point I made regarding that.
China also traded with US, so China also prop up the US , Uk, ... vritually everyone else..
I've already responded to this point. Ever if you don't see that as wrong, it's still an imperialistic move. It's still increasing its influence over the world.
The only thing that matters is who survives in this jungle. Imperalistic or not, the victors will decide.
Not from a western point of view and that is all that matters in terms of whether it's a good thing for the UK.
ok. then?
Let's just ignore the massacres since they happened quite a while ago,
fun thing everyone ignore the massacres of the british empire because it hapepend a while ago
. Foreign countries can't randomly start construction work on your sovereign territory without prior permission.
if everyone agrees its your sovereign territory .
So the Cuban missile crisis was totally a non-issue then? Why was the Soviet Union even upset with the missiles installed in Turkey? Silly countries, no human was hurt! Also, building on what other countries claim to be their sovereign territories.
...? yea, cuban crisis was less a thing than say.... WWII where milliosn died? Speaking of the cuban missile crisis, you finally come to understood what is "strategic interest" ? If China decides to claim a certain part of the sea there must be a strategic reason, they did it as a countermeasure against a potential US blockade, but then they make up silly reasons like "historical claims since ancient times" to fool naive and guillable people. I would much prefer if they are honest and direct.
Oh right, that's really the reason, official or unofficial, why China threatens Taiwan and isolates them internationally... I guess you don't really know the history regarding the civil war either, then?
OH, If you want to count in the civil war, Just give back them the land taiwan stolen from China during the civil war and all will be good.
Oh, economic freedom is the only freedom now? Disqualifying elected legislators from taking their seats wasn't tightening freedom? Barring certain people from standing as a candidate in an election wasn't tightening freedom? Stopping citizens from travelling to a foreign country isn't tightening freedom?
Economic freedom mother ****ers.!!!! Number 1 in the world. London and NY is jealous af thats why they hatin.
I said Japan had a flawed democracy, but a level of democracy, as internationally recognized, higher than that of Russia and indeed China. Nowhere did I say it was perfectly fine, or that they were as democratic as anyone could be. I said Japan had a flawed democracy. Do you know the word "flaw"?
I was already hintng that japan's "democracy" was flawed when i compared it to russia's. you didnt understand. But its okay :biggrin: You are okay with certain parties holding power for a long long time. Well so whats the problem?
Reply 58
Why are you still quoting and giving me notifications when you clearly have nothing to add?

Because you keep replying :smile:
ok? Which is why i said dalai lama fled because he didnt get the policies he wanted 8 years afterwards

He was promised autonomy and he didn't get it.

China also traded with US, so China also prop up the US , Uk, ... vritually everyone else..

Do you really have 0 knowledge of the Korean war?

South Korea was almost wiped out, then the US got in - it ended in a stalemate because China also sent "volunteers" to support North Korea. Without chinese support, North Korea would probably have been defeated by the US-backed South Korea.

And if your definition of a country being propping up is purely economic, then let's not pretend NK's reliance of Chinese trade and aid is even remotely similar to trade between China and anyone else.

fun thing everyone ignore the massacres of the british empire because it hapepend a while ago

Are you once again trying to argue 2 wrongs do make a right, or are you now saying "massacres are good"?

if everyone agrees its your sovereign territory . ...?

That's why India didn't build on them either.

Vietnam did, and that also makes them a provoker.

yea, cuban crisis was less a thing than say.... WWII where milliosn died?

Your world view is very...binary. It's always either black or white with you, isn't it?

Speaking of the cuban missile crisis, you finally come to understood what is "strategic interest" ? If China decides to claim a certain part of the sea there must be a strategic reason, they did it as a countermeasure against a potential US blockade, but then they make up silly reasons like "historical claims since ancient times" to fool naive and guillable people. I would much prefer if they are honest and direct.

I have always understood that. What you are still failing to understand is that China is not an ally, and thus good things for them = bad things for us.

OH, If you want to count in the civil war, Just give back them the land taiwan stolen from China during the civil war and all will be good.

So I see you have 0 knowledge of the civil war too.

When exactly did communist China control, in any way at all, the lands that are currently Taiwanese territories?

How does one "steal" something from another person, when the other person never, ever had that thing?

Economic freedom mother ****ers.!!!! Number 1 in the world. London and NY is jealous af thats why they hatin.

No rebuttals then?

Or are you saying the freedom of expression (universities are ordered to cramp down on independence posters), of publication (banned books publishers have been kidnapped), of being elected (legislators-elect stripped off their seats for being anti-China), of movement (certain people banned from visiting Thailand and Macau) etc don't matter when you can do some good old money laundering business?

Also, NYC and London aren't jealous. They are much, much bigger and influential financial centres.

i compared it to russia's. you didnt understand. But its okay :biggrin: You are okay with certain parties holding power for a long long time. Well so whats the problem?

I understand it now. You have a very primitive binary world view that can only see black and white.

Or in this case, democratic or undemocratic. And so Russia = Japan = USA = China = undemocratic countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending