The Student Room Group

Question about eligibility of student loan

I am an year 13 student in a state school in England and I have offer from manchester university and strathclyde university. However I am classified as international student in England and RUK student in strathclyde(in Scotland) and international student in Edinburgh(no offer so far). I am ordinary resident in England, living for 3 year by the start of the course but don't have settled status or citizenship. I am not using student visa to live in uk. In this case, should I apply student finance in Scotland or England. If it is England, I wonder will I be eligible because I am international student under criteria of university in England
Original post by tyranny pool
I am an year 13 student in a state school in England and I have offer from manchester university and strathclyde university. However I am classified as international student in England and RUK student in strathclyde(in Scotland) and international student in Edinburgh(no offer so far). I am ordinary resident in England, living for 3 year by the start of the course but don't have settled status or citizenship. I am not using student visa to live in uk. In this case, should I apply student finance in Scotland or England. If it is England, I wonder will I be eligible because I am international student under criteria of university in England

Hi there, Do you hold pre settled status only? Where did you live prior to England? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Do you hold pre settled status only? Where did you live prior to England? Thanks, Angela

Thanks. Yes, I only have pre settled status only. I live in Hong Kong before I come to England.
Thanks. Yes, I only have pre settled status only. I live in Hong Kong before I come to England.

Hi there,

Can you confirm your nationality? What date did you come to the UK? When does your course start?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Can you confirm your nationality? What date did you come to the UK? When does your course start?

Thanks,
Claire

Thanks. I only have a Hong Kong passport so Chinese nationality and my course start at September 2024 and I come to uk in January 2021
Thanks. I only have a Hong Kong passport so Chinese nationality and my course start at September 2024 and I come to uk in January 2021

When would you have settled status?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
When would you have settled status?

Thanks,
Claire

Based on what you have advised you should only be eligible for Tuition Fee Loan only as you don't have settled status. You would apply on the EU24N application. Applications for 2024 September don't open till later this year. Keep eye on our website and apply as soon a the applications open so we can then confirm if you're definitely eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 8
Based on what you have advised you should only be eligible for Tuition Fee Loan only as you don't have settled status. You would apply on the EU24N application. Applications for 2024 September don't open till later this year. Keep eye on our website and apply as soon a the applications open so we can then confirm if you're definitely eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire

thanks you so much
thanks you so much

No problem. Have a nice day!
thanks you so much

You're welcome!

Just to say, if you're thinking of studying in Scotland we'd definitely recommend speaking to SAAS to see if they can offer any support in that case.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending