The Student Room Group

social life and lack of friends at med school is making me depressed

I am feeling really uncomfortable writing about this but I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice or is in a similar situation. At sixthform and school I was always considered to be part of the popular people (not trying to be arrogant I just want to give an accurate description) I had loads of friends and used to always go on nights out or go to house parties. I was known as the person "who was always partying but was also smart". I expected life at medical school to be exactly as good or even better. But sadly I go to a medical school where people on my course are on a different campus to everyone else. This made it that I basically only got to know people on my course.The problem is most people on my course are individuals who didn't have many friends at school and spend most of their time revising. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.It is just that I'm finding it really hard to make friends with these people our personalities just don't match.I do have two friends on my course but this sounds horrible I know :frown: but I am only friends with them because they are the only option.In any other situation I would not consider them my close friends.I don't know what to do I am becoming severely depressed. I just wished there was one person who mine and their personality matched and could be my friend. When I go home I get to see my old friends and that makes me happy but my uni is quite far from home and most of my friends have also gone to different uni now. I wish I could turn back time and have gone to a different med school. I hope someone on here can give me some advice I don't want to spend the rest of the next few years at med school being depressed.
I'm sorry you are not having a good time at uni. Have you joined any societies or clubs at all? That could be a good way to meet people from other courses (or medics from different years if you join medical societies - there are plenty of sociable medics!). Or what about people from halls?
Reply 2
Original post by girl_in_black
I'm sorry you are not having a good time at uni. Have you joined any societies or clubs at all? That could be a good way to meet people from other courses (or medics from different years if you join medical societies - there are plenty of sociable medics!). Or what about people from halls?

Our societies are separate from other people on other courses and sadly in halls it’s also only people on my course. There was the option to join societies that other course also attended at the start of the year but I was advised by people that it would be better just to stick to the medicine campus societies which i really regret now.
Original post by Anonymous
Our societies are separate from other people on other courses and sadly in halls it’s also only people on my course. There was the option to join societies that other course also attended at the start of the year but I was advised by people that it would be better just to stick to the medicine campus societies which i really regret now.

This sounds a lot like my uni's set up. You could still try joining the other societies even though you are midway through the year - just contact them and ask if it would be OK. Or what about something like a language class or an evening class? I made some good friends this way at uni.
Reply 4
What uni are you at is it Exeter
Sorry to hear uni isn't currently what you thought it would be, OP.

I second the comment of joining non-med student societies. Another option, depending on how you manage you work load, is get a part time job?

When I did my UG, I worked in retail and made some amazing friends who were students I'd never meet otherwise. I had a small contract and could work extra if I wanted to and it was a welcome break from uni stuff.

Local theatres are also great - shifts are generally 3.5-4.5 hours and are staffed by many students. I never did this, but family and friends do and they love it!

Quick Reply

Latest