The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
I quoted Unistats above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Unistats shows 71% in employment but does not really show us the type of job they are doing. Anyway, i accept your point(s).

https://m.unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10000291FT-K00133/ReturnTo/
Original post by Wired_1800
The Unistats shows 71% in employment but does not really show us the type of job they are doing. Anyway, i accept your point(s).

They just do the usual thing of grouping all similar course respondents, rather than granulating down to a single course.
Reply 42

Business and public service associate professionals 27%
Managers, directors and senior officials 26%
Business, research and administrative professionals 11%
Administrative occupations 7%
Sales occupations 4%
Customer service occupations 4%
Process, plant and machine operatives 4%
Quality and regulatory professionals 2%
Secretarial and related occupations 2%
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They just do the usual thing of grouping all similar course respondents, rather than granulating down to a single course.

Yes, I am aware. It is not very good imo because it clumps together those at places like Goldman or Mckinsey to those in irrelevant employment.

To me, some universities have been taking students for fools. Unfortunately, the kids end up suffering whilst the Vice-Chancellor and colleagues rack up big payouts.
Business and public service associate professionals 27%
Managers, directors and senior officials 26%
Business, research and administrative professionals 11%
Administrative occupations 7%
Sales occupations 4%
Customer service occupations 4%
Process, plant and machine operatives 4%
Quality and regulatory professionals 2%
Secretarial and related occupations 2%

That does not mean much to me. What is the “senior official” doing in his job? Is she a senior manager at Morrisons with an Engineering degree or a Director at Halfords with a 1st in Politics?

Before i get destroyed, i dont have any issues with jobs at morrisons or halfords. I am talking about relevance of jobs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 45
Yes, I am aware. It is not very good imo because it clumps together those at places like Goldman or Mckinsey to those in irrelevant employment.

Define irrelevant employment. Is working at, say, Aldi irrelevant?

Why does everyone have to work in IB or Consultancy? You do realise without firms that actually do stuff there'd be no IB/consultancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To me, some universities have been taking students for fools. Unfortunately, the kids end up suffering whilst the Vice-Chancellor and colleagues rack up big payouts.

But the point made previously is still salient. Not everyone who goes to these universities goes with the expectation that they're going to be earning 100k. Not that Wong's lack of success is attributable to her uni; more likely it is down to her whiny self-entitled attitude.
Reply 47
All of that does not mean much to me. What is the “senior official” doing in his job? Is she a senior manager at Morrisons with an Engineering degree or a Director at Halfords with a 1st in Politics?

They are all ARU business course grads. The name of the employer is irrelevant. But you can get that from LinkedIn if you really want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
But the point made previously is still salient. Not everyone who goes to these universities goes with the expectation that they're going to be earning 100k. Not that Wong's lack of success is attributable to her uni; more likely it is down to her whiny self-entitled attitude.

We don't know much about the situation. She may have applied to many reputable jobs that her 1st class could not even let her through the doors.

Personally, i think we may be missing the point that University, to an extent, is supposed to equip you and prepare you for the future. If you get the ultimate grade on a course, it means that you could be very prepared for the role.

ARU and other universities may be advertising falsely and then arguing that it was down to her to make her luck.
They are all ARU business course grads. The name of the employer is irrelevant. But you can get that from LinkedIn if you really want.

Really? Tell that to the Parents who paid so much for her education and tell that to the girl who probably had to work her bum off to achieve the 1st class.
Reply 50
Really? Tell that to the Parents who paid so much for her education and tell that to the girl who probably had to work her bum off to achieve the 1st class.

Wut?! If *you* or anyone, wants to see it you are free to do so by looking at LinkedIn. There's no mystery, just that Unistats (or HESA) doesn't record the info.
Define irrelevant employment. Is working at, say, Aldi irrelevant?

Why does everyone have to work in IB or Consultancy? You do realise without firms that actually do stuff there'd be no IB/consultancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Irrelevant employment is what it says on the tin. If you are a Southampton Engineering grad with a decent degree (i.e. 2.1 and above) and you are stacking the shelves at halfords, then you are in an irrelevant employment.

If you are a Bournemouth Education grad (with a good degree) and you are flipping burgers at McDonalds, then you are in an irrelevant employment.
Wut?! If *you* or anyone, wants to see it you are free to do so by looking at LinkedIn. There's no mystery, just that Unistats (or HESA) doesn't record the info.

You seem to be claiming that any job is a good job regardless of the degree, which i strongly disagree with.

I doubt you would be proud for your son to complete his programme and end up at McDonalds or no job at all, afterall it is employment.
We don't know much about the situation. She may have applied to many reputable jobs that her 1st class could not even let her through the doors.

Personally, i think we may be missing the point that University, to an extent, is supposed to equip you and prepare you for the future. If you get the ultimate grade on a course, it means that you could be very prepared for the role.

ARU and other universities may be advertising falsely and then arguing that it was down to her to make her to make her luck.

No, she was complaining while at (and seemingly throughout) uni. Clearly she's just a pain in the arse and has an entitled attitude.

See: ARU said that her campaigning to discredit the uni at the time, rather than focussing on her studies (and I add, her career), is the reason for her lack of success. A high first from ARU is no doubt better than an ordinary first; she chose to moan rather than improve her prospects, which is her fault.
Reply 54
Irrelevant employment is what it says on the tin. If you are a Southampton Engineering grad with a decent degree (i.e. 2.1 and above) and you are stacking the shelves at halfords, then you are in an irrelevant employment.

If you are a Bournemouth Education grad (with a good degree) and you are flipping burgers at McDonalds, then you are in an irrelevant employment.

You seem to be claiming that any job is a good job regardless of the degree, which i strongly disagree with.

I doubt you would be proud for your son to complete his programme and end up at McDonalds or no job at all, afterall it is employment.

Why can't you read the info presented in Unistats? It clearly says 71% of ARU business grads are in "In a professional or managerial job". That's not engineers, and it's not people flipping burgers or stacking shelves.

The job roles are listed in detail.
(edited 6 years ago)

Uh, no. That isn't how it works.

It's valid to bear in mind when looking at the stats that they don't tell you about the prestige of the employment entered into by the graduates. After that, however:

* Almost no-one graduates from university ready to begin employment. I doubt whether even medics do that.

* Whilst a degree is a prerequisite for a lot of jobs, (a) a 2.i from anywhere will be sufficient to tick the box in most cases, but (b) a first from anywhere will not get you a job. It's about more than that.

* A lot of people aren't particularly looking for prestige or enormous wealth. To a lot, I'm going to say the majority, of students, getting into their desired field/industry is enough. The value of the statistics to students in general has to be judged with that in mind.

* No degree will guarantee you the above anyway, and that isn't the fault of the degree. That's just how employment works.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
No, she was complaining while at (and seemingly throughout) uni. Clearly she's just a pain in the arse and has an entitled attitude.

See: ARU said that her campaigning to discredit the uni at the time, rather than focussing on her studies (and I add, her career), is the reason for her lack of success. A high first from ARU is no doubt better than an ordinary first; she chose to moan rather than improve her prospects, which is her fault.

So we are now arguing about the quality of the 1st class when most employers would not care less about it.

I acknowledge that she may have done herself a disservice, but the reaction (like on this thread) does not seem to put any blame on the institution.
Why can't you read the info presented in Unistats? It clearly says 71% of ARU business grads are in "In a professional or managerial job". That's not engineers, and it's not people flipping burgers or stacking shelves.

The job roles are listed in detail.

I did.

First of all, it is not for just that course but all the bus studies courses.

Two, nobody knows what the hell is a professional or managerial job. I could not find any explanation on the website on what the categories were and i did not want to assume falsely to create a wrong understanding.
So we are now arguing about the quality of the 1st class when most employers would not care less about it.

I acknowledge that she may have done herself a disservice, but the reaction (like on this thread) does not seem to put any blame on the institution.

Well, oddly, it is ARU making that argument implicitly. Which I think is incredibly odd for them to make as it can only lead to a Pyrrhic victory. Yes but everyone knows you need an 80% from ARU to get into IB.

My first point was that the uni blagged about the quality of the course. That is on them. Currently on their site they say "ARU is one of the top universities for quality of teaching. Teaching Excellence Framework silver award 2017." Now that's a straight misrep. My second point is that this person's lack of career success does not directly stem from this lie or the uni, but her attitude to her work and her lack of proper effort to enter her desired industry. Third point, slightly linked, is that she would have more punch with apps if she had a higher first and some awards in addition to other essential characteristics such as a positive attitude to work (see my second point).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Uh, no. That isn't how it works.

It's valid to bear in mind when looking at the stats that they don't tell you about the prestige of the employment entered into by the graduates. After that, however:

* Almost no-one graduates from university ready to begin employment. I doubt whether even medics do that.

* Whilst a degree is a prerequisite for a lot of jobs, (a) a 2.i from anywhere will be sufficient to tick the box in most cases, but (b) a first from anywhere will not get you a job. It's about more than that.

* A lot of people aren't particularly looking for prestige or enormous wealth. To a lot, I'm going to say the majority, of students, getting into their desired field/industry is enough. The value of the statistics to students in general has to be judged with that in mind.

* No degree will guarantee you the above anyway, and that isn't the fault of the degree. That's just how employment works.

I did not write that a degree guarantees you a job. I think that a degree prepares you well and puts you on the journey to get a relevant job.

If we assume that a university degree does not have a strong bearing to support one landing a desired and relevant job, then university is useless and a waste of 3 years. Most will be better served seeking employment earlier on and learning the ropes during the 3 years.

Latest

Trending

Trending