The Student Room Group

Medicine - Poor GCSE GRADEs

For GCSE I got 4a*, 3a, 2b and 2C
I was just wondering if these grades are good enough to get into med school, and whether I would even get considered for an interview let alone a offer.
I got a A* in maths, A in bio and chemistry and B in English.
I meet the entry requirements for most universities ( B and above in maths and English) however im almost convinced that most med students have got like all a* in their GCSE.
I am predicted AAA for a-levels and have done about 4 hospital placements, week at a care home, week at a pharmacy, volunteered at a hospital for 6 months.
Am I greatly disadvantaged due to my grades?
any past experiences would help!
How are those grades poor?

No, you're not disadvantaged if you apply smartly to schools which put weightings on other aspects such as personal statement etc.
Reply 2
I’m in the same boat as you! I got 3A*’s 8A’s and 1B, and a lot of people have recommended that I apply to med schools that aren’t that GCSE heavy such as St George’s, liverpool, Plymouth, Brighton, Lancaster, imperial, Sheffield, Keele etc. You just really need to do your research!! Try looking on medical schools council? They have a list of all medical school websites :smile: I’m not gonna lie it will be slightly more difficult for us but we will get there in the end, we just need to strategically apply with our strong points (A level, personal statement, UKCAT/BMAT)
Good luck!
No A*s here. Got an offer. You need not worry.
Don't apply to GCSE heavy medical schools and you'll be fine. I.e. avoid birmingham and kcl
Original post by TeaAndLifting
No A*s here. Got an offer. You need not worry.

oh really thats amazing! what uni? and did you have any work experience
Original post by Idkcaits
I’m in the same boat as you! I got 3A*’s 8A’s and 1B, and a lot of people have recommended that I apply to med schools that aren’t that GCSE heavy such as St George’s, liverpool, Plymouth, Brighton, Lancaster, imperial, Sheffield, Keele etc. You just really need to do your research!! Try looking on medical schools council? They have a list of all medical school websites :smile: I’m not gonna lie it will be slightly more difficult for us but we will get there in the end, we just need to strategically apply with our strong points (A level, personal statement, UKCAT/BMAT)
Good luck!

Ah thank you! im thinking of applying to Manchester, Bristol, St Georges and Liverpool wbu? what kind of work experiences have u done so far. I take it you are in your first year of college.
can you guys give me examples of universities that aren't heavily GCSE based, if possible
Original post by mynameisno123
For GCSE I got 4a*, 3a, 2b and 2C
I was just wondering if these grades are good enough to get into med school, and whether I would even get considered for an interview let alone a offer.
I got a A* in maths, A in bio and chemistry and B in English.
I meet the entry requirements for most universities ( B and above in maths and English) however im almost convinced that most med students have got like all a* in their GCSE.
I am predicted AAA for a-levels and have done about 4 hospital placements, week at a care home, week at a pharmacy, volunteered at a hospital for 6 months.
Am I greatly disadvantaged due to my grades?
any past experiences would help!

No, not a problem.
Reply 9
I’m not entirely sure yet, I’m thinking liverpool, Keele, St. George’s and maybe Bristol but I’m waiting for the UKCAT to fully decide🙊 I haven’t completed any yet except St John’s and past volunteering (and I’m not 17 yet so it’s near impossible) but I have a few things lined up after my birthday like an A&E placement, a week of observation in a hospital, a potential gp shadowing, and volunteering at a dementia centre, hbu? Yes I’m in first year:smile:
Ah thank you! im thinking of applying to Manchester, Bristol, St Georges and Liverpool wbu? what kind of work experiences have u done so far. I take it you are in your first year of college.

Until you have your UKCAT score I wouldn't recommend narrowing down your choices just yet. By all means you can have some in mind that you like the look of but your final shortlist will most likely end up different.

Nail your first year exams first! :wink:
oh really thats amazing! what uni? and did you have any work experience

King's, but I am also a graduate applicant with grades in hand. Though there's still no reason your GCSEs should hold you back if you have a good enough UKCAT and A-levels.

Worked as a porter, carer, GP shadowing, personal experience as a patient & getting insight during apts, and so on. Standard stuff; nothing exotic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending