The Student Room Group

Ual or Westminster? Animation

I'm a place holder for BA animation at both UAL (lcc) and Westminster, but I'm not sure which to pick? I'm interested in working in 2D/ traditional animation as well as concept art etc. As well as I want to work in the industry rather than freelance, but I'm not sure which university would be better? I've been to open days and I'm still stuck for choice
Original post by Emwloch
I'm a place holder for BA animation at both UAL (lcc) and Westminster, but I'm not sure which to pick? I'm interested in working in 2D/ traditional animation as well as concept art etc. As well as I want to work in the industry rather than freelance, but I'm not sure which university would be better? I've been to open days and I'm still stuck for choice

How do the courses compare in terms of your academic interests and where grads end up?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
How do the courses compare in terms of your academic interests and where grads end up?

I have chosen Westminster now, they seem to have better ties with the industry and getting a job. I feel UAL might be towards more freelance
Original post by Emwloch
I have chosen Westminster now, they seem to have better ties with the industry and getting a job. I feel UAL might be towards more freelance

Well done and good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Emwloch

If you want to work commercially in 2D Animation most of that will be as a freelancer. Some mobile phone games companies will employ full time 2D animators, but you may need to learn realtime game engine software as well to get to that sort of position. Very few 2D Animation companies keep animators on full time. Traditional animation isn't done very much commercially anymore - everything is digital except for stop motion work from Aardman and the occasional job at some of the more experimental animation companies for a client that wants something different for their commercials. Concept Art is the hardest part of the industry to get into - it's easier to get a job as an animator. As a 2D animator I would advise gaining excellent drawing skills, show the ability to create a wide variety of styles, make sure you can animate well, both in frame by frame and also using 2D rigs (After Effects DUIK or Spine). Look to try out software like Toonboom Harmony or TV Paint for TV cartoon series production. Also pick up After Effects for working with motion graphics and for making 2D Animation look even more awesome!

Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by moid
If you want to work commercially in 2D Animation most of that will be as a freelancer. Some mobile phone games companies will employ full time 2D animators, but you may need to learn realtime game engine software as well to get to that sort of position. Very few 2D Animation companies keep animators on full time. Traditional animation isn't done very much commercially anymore - everything is digital except for stop motion work from Aardman and the occasional job at some of the more experimental animation companies for a client that wants something different for their commercials. Concept Art is the hardest part of the industry to get into - it's easier to get a job as an animator. As a 2D animator I would advise gaining excellent drawing skills, show the ability to create a wide variety of styles, make sure you can animate well, both in frame by frame and also using 2D rigs (After Effects DUIK or Spine). Look to try out software like Toonboom Harmony or TV Paint for TV cartoon series production. Also pick up After Effects for working with motion graphics and for making 2D Animation look even more awesome!

Good luck

Thank you! I've already done some work with TV Paint and Toonboom and I love it, I guess I working traditional will be more of a personal thing.
I've also begun to do some storyboarding in toonboom which I think I would like to delve further
Original post by Emwloch
Thank you! I've already done some work with TV Paint and Toonboom and I love it, I guess I working traditional will be more of a personal thing.
I've also begun to do some storyboarding in toonboom which I think I would like to delve further

I know you might not be using this platform anymore but I was wondering how you are finding the animation course at Westminster. I will be enrolling soon so I'm curious to see if you made the right choice choosing between the two universities
Reply 8
Original post by Cherith Grace
I know you might not be using this platform anymore but I was wondering how you are finding the animation course at Westminster. I will be enrolling soon so I'm curious to see if you made the right choice choosing between the two universities
not sure if you are still using this platform lol but did you end up going to Westminster? If so how is the course

Quick Reply

Latest